Note to New Members ×

Why Helmets Rule

skwalann

Carving on my Madd I took a weird crash yesterday... long story short... I bounced off my face and shoulder and then landed on my back and slid quite a ways. Got a bit of a concussion from the hit and managed to get a reading of 4.41g on the g-meter durring the wreck.

I feel much better today and am not really worried much about it at this point now.

The helmet I was wearing was virtually brand new(4-6 days on it)

The damage to the helmet shows how bad it could have been... :eek:

Glad to hear that you are okay. Might want to keep that helmet as a trophy or something. Actually perhaps the manufacturer of the helmet would exchange it for a new one so that they could study the damage?

Yes, glad to hear you are alright! :biggthump

You do know, don't you, that you should not use that helmet again?

The manufacturer prolly won't replace it for you - I've been told that snow sports helmets are designed for one hard blow, like that one, and then they are not safe to use any more. And the manufacturer's don't offer any sort of replacement policy.

That helmet has done it's job. Time for another new one.

Nice to see you alive with an intact intelligence quotient :biggthump

PS: I looked at your avatar photo and did notice that you have a unequal pupillary dialation, a sure sign of impending brain damage, lol :p.

But SERIOUSLY>>>> have someone close to you keep an eagle eye on you for any changes in your moods, & physical demeanor,> a slow subarachnoid / subdural hemorrhage can creep up on you and kill you, and an unnoticed C-spine injury can creep up on you a few days later and make you miserable for life so just go easy and monitor yourself, ( anyone for an MRI ) < that was based on my own personal experience.:freak3:,ANY changes > headache, dizzy, mood change, ringing in the ear and have someone drive you to the ER >>>> NOW

PS: I looked at your avatar photo and did notice that you have a unequal pupillary dialation, a sure sign of impending brain damage, lol :p.

lol -- skwalann doesn't indicate if the avatar pic was from before or after the incident but that does look like it just isn't right.

4.41 ! :eek:

oh mannnnnn Why didn't I think about that when we were doing G-meter competitions @ SES !

you should get the belt for the most Gs ! :eplus2:

Glad you are OK, and yeah, that helmet is toast. Make it into a lamp shade, or just use it to hold ice and a few beers on the back deck :)

4 years ago I caught a back edge doing a 180 on glare ice (softboot, shallow angles) and got body slammed so hard I was unconscious for about 4 minutes according to ski patrol. I came to, hallucinating, that the world was a sea of blood. Turned out it was just the 5 patroller "red" jackets attending over me ! as my mind cleared and reality calmed me down. And I had a quality foam-lined helmet ON.

great pic you posted there. (( yes, I retired the above lid ))

Sic

"you can't carve soft boots"

I cracked a new helmet on the last run the first day I used it. Took it back to the store I bought it from and they replaced it on the spot. No questions asked, just handed me a new one. I'm not sure if that's typical. I didn't ask. It's worth a try.

Didn't see what type of helmet it was, but Giro has a credit replacement policy
Yeah, but they make it a PITA - you have to send in the busted helmet, and your receipt, and a description of the crash in detail and wait for them to approve some sort of discount. Why even bother with the program if you're going to make it that hard?

You should be able to take it into any Giro dealer, no receipt required (yup, that's a busted Giro alright), and get a discount on a new lid.