Note to New Members ×

UPZ Hardboots 2010/2011

Hans

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emailed Yoja about this and got a speedy response. Mondo 26/26.5 boots hit the scale at a HEFTY 5.26ish lbs., per boot. So, nicer flex but still the weight penalty, heavy as or more than a SB123...I may still get a set. I've gotten use to my Dynafits at 2lbs14oz per foot...

Well that's a bit disapointing. I was hoping that since the RC-10's are touted being the lightest weight alpine snowboard boot that the ATB's would be similarly as light. I wonder how much their liner weighs and if there would be a weight reduction going to an Intuition Power Wrap liner.

Those boots are not cheap either - $600 puts them in close company of Garmont, Dynafit and Scarpa, amoung others. The boots I've listed below are the top-end from each company and they offer models in the $600 range.

Garmont Radium - 1790 gr = 3.95 lbs - $760.00

Dynafit ZZero4 C TF - 1595 gr = 3.52 lbs - $750

Scarpa Skookum - 1876 gr = 4.14 lbs - $720

Plus, each of these boots are AWESOME! Saying that, I'm not sure how well they'd work for free-ride and powder boarding as well as they do for skiing (obviously). One of the biggest drawbacks I see to AT boots is the forward lean and fore-aft flex characteristics. They all have walk/ride mech's that lock in at an angle forward - but that may or may not be ideal for boarding. I don't know - I'm sure they would work, but the question is how well. I would love to test drive a pair... as well as a pair of the UPZ ATB's... or at least see a pair in person...

great so far. Reason for renewal is that I downsized half a size. I noticed a thermal isolation layer unerneath the standard insole in the liner. Better materials seem to be used. The perforated part is new. Some flexible carbonstuff around the top of the cuff too and outer heel inforcements. Still the great locked heel feeling as with the former liner.

As it was -4°C I cannot tell more about how it behaves wenn it´s really cold.

Plus, each of these boots are AWESOME! Saying that, I'm not sure how well they'd work for free-ride and powder boarding as well as they do for skiing (obviously). One of the biggest drawbacks I see to AT boots is the forward lean and fore-aft flex characteristics. They all have walk/ride mech's that lock in at an angle forward - but that may or may not be ideal for boarding. I don't know - I'm sure they would work, but the question is how well. I would love to test drive a pair... as well as a pair of the UPZ ATB's... or at least see a pair in person...

On-piste the ATB will be ok, if the flex indeed is softer. I just don't like hefting over 5lbs per foot when I go out of bounds from the chair. Tried hiking in SB series boots before and it sucks for any distance. They even feel to heavy skinning now...my Dynafits feel so much better boot packin!

On-piste the ATB will be ok, if the flex indeed is softer. I just don't like hefting over 5lbs per foot when I go out of bounds from the chair. Tried hiking in SB series boots before and it sucks for any distance. They even feel to heavy skinning now...my Dynafits feel so much better boot packin!

I agree John - that's another aspect of off-piste snowboarding boards that is a primary concern for me - hiking. I've hiked & snow shoed in SB boots too - they absolutley suck. Put a pair of Fin-Tecs on them and you've got a death wish if you're hiking on any sort of rocky terrain. Snowman - you be f*$%@g careful!!!

I agree John - that's another aspect of off-piste snowboarding boards that is a primary concern for me - hiking. I've hiked & snow shoed in SB boots too - they absolutley suck. Put a pair of Fin-Tecs on them and you've got a death wish if you're hiking on any sort of rocky terrain. Snowman - you be f*$%@g careful!!!

I also have a set of Verts snowshoes for climbing, they are the cat's meow. Set mine up with a snowshoe crampon (alum.) and put my Voile Mtn. Plates on them for quick-n-dirty in and out. Pretty darn cool! Too bad they are not in production at this time, someone bought the rights to them, but nothing yet. Grab a set if you find them, I like 'em on steep climbs.