Note to New Members ×

Beta on West Mountain, N.Y.

Slow Eddie

Anybody ride here, once or often? The mountain is near Queensbury/Glens Falls, and the local shop is The Inside Edge (The Reliable Racing folks). My fiance's little bro is getting into riding this year, and while I have an E deck for mellow cruising and teaching, I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring a bigger stick along.

Thanks,

Eddie

I'm sorry to say that I was a local there for too long.

It can be good if the stars align and you've been a very good boy. The mail issue is grooming. They have the knack to take good packed powder and turn it into death cookies. The don't seem to really fully understand that it needs to be well below freezing to run the snow guns......so they leave them on too long and blow warm liquid water...........hmmmmmmmm!

If you get lucky and they have lots of natural snow there is some good carving to be had. It's best late at night. The place will be full of gangs of snowbladers until about 8:30pm but then it is absolutly empty.

Gore Mtn ( about 45 minutes north) is much better and there are some fun intermediate carving runs and narrow wandering groomers that can be carved hard once you know the run.

Later,

Dave