Note to New Members ×

Board Binding & Boots

pc in mamora

Conditions: East of the Mississippi hard packed, somtimes groomed snow that is pushed to the bottom of the slope endless groups of people sliding/stopping to chit-chat just beyond the apex of a mi-slope crest and in the process exposing sheer ice below.

Goal: Effortless carving thru the above conditions and occasionally surfing thru the rare 6" - 10" of fresh snow.

Existing Equipment: Burton M6 asymetric...about 100 sessions over the past twenty years due to other commitments.

Desire: One new or used good board that will take me five years forward. One new set of hard bindings and one new set of boots.

I do not need the best of the best.

Weight: 190 lbs

Height: 5' - 11"

Sounds like a good SL board with tigher sidecut would fit the bill. Allows manuvrability and will hold edge on ice. For an all around carver that would work in pow a Donek Axxis, Prior 4x4, SG Cult, or any other modern all mountain/Freecarve board would work. Any decent binding will work fine like burton, ibex, snowpro, F2, TD 1, 2, or 3. Lots of boots that would work too like Burton, Head, Deeluxe, and Raichle. Just make sure you have a good heat moldable liner and shells that are the correct size.

the easiest board and one of the better I have been on has been my coiler stubby. seriously a board that has built in error correction but still carves better than most of the older boards I've had.

you can have one built with a smaller sidecut, mine is 11 meters for example.

I'd suggest some Bomber TD3 bindings. Bomber bindings are exactly that, bomber. I've got TD2 bindings and am upgrading to the Sidewinders.

Head Stratus Pro boots have a really nice fit and finish. Mine have worked flawlessly for the past 3 years. I'm an intermediate carver and I have found the forward lean adjustment and damping to provide excellent work and

adjustability. The micro adjust buckles are nice too.

Good luck and have fun!

+1 for the Coiler Stubby. Mine is a 171-13m radius. Cuts very well through crud, holds an insane edge on boilerplate and ice. As said above, very forgiving high performance board. I'm not sure about the powder performance, but if there were 6" of fresh I'd be in soft boots.

+1 for the TD3's... I use yellow elastomers and standard bails for a plush, precise ride. (I weigh 170lbs) These will help you stay hooked up over nasty crap :)

Cheers!

I'd suggest some Bomber TD3 bindings. Bomber bindings are exactly that, bomber. I've got TD2 bindings and am upgrading to the Sidewinders.

Head Stratus Pro boots have a really nice fit and finish. Mine have worked flawlessly for the past 3 years. I'm an intermediate carver and I have found the forward lean adjustment and damping to provide excellent work and

adjustability. The micro adjust buckles are nice too.

Good luck and have fun!

Going to sell the TD2 bindings?