Note to New Members ×

Whistler/Blackcomb Jan 24th 2010 Pictures

C5 Golfer

Roy:

Your boots are red instead of black!

Are they UPZs?

No, Roy was wearing Deeluxe Boots (traitor). Only me and Doug (Tenorman are in UPZ). Next time we will be wearing Tuxedo to complement our White UPZ RC10 Dress Boots.

By the way I saw lots of chair riders, heads turning following the carvers. They look impressed. That was an awesome day.

Tony, we bumped into you bro (Bernie) at the restaurant during lunch break. George (Crucible) recognized him.

Thanks to Al (C5 Golfer) and Susan for the nice company. Hope to ride with you again. Al, Boris is right, you have to give that board to Susan and get yourself a longer board. You are a towering inferno for that board. That is really a sweet board.

Ruwi

No, not recvd. Here's my email: carvingchanel(at)yahoo(dot)ca

Thanks

Roy

wierd -- that is the one I sent it to.. it came back saying it is "delayed..you do not have to resend the message"..

you can email me at niblick5@msn.com and I can reply to that in case there is a problem with the original email..

Al

Next time we will be wearing Tuxedo to complement our White UPZ RC10 Dress Boots. Ruwi

That will be awesome sight, Gentleman on alpine boards!:biggthump

By the way I saw lots of chair riders, heads turning following the carvers. They look impressed. That was an awesome day.

Ruwi what about sharing the vid?:rolleyes:

Al, Boris is right, you have to give that board to GF and get yourself a longer board.

If GF don't want u can give it to me:eplus2:...I'm your buddy right?:ices_ange

Cheers

Roy:lurk:

Good for you bud, that's the spirit never give up on nice board, I mean all alpine boards. So next time all 3 decks coming to Whistler?;)

Cheers

Roy

I had 4 up there this last time.. a 179 4WD, 174 4WD, 178 Volkl RT, 173 Vokl RT.. all good rides.

sometimes it is a tough choice to go out the door in the morning with 4 boards starring at you saying " pick me , pick me"

the board is now one of my 3 favorites..
4 Boards, only 3 Fav...Which deck will be on the market soon;)?
I had 4 up there this last time.. a 179 4WD, 174 4WD, 178 Volkl RT, 173 Vokl RT.. all good rides.
:eek:

Cool, you worst thn me & BlueB can't decide what to ride:freak3:. Btw is your 4WD metal? Curious compare how it ride to WCRMetal 173Wide.

Btw how u like the FLC tail react with wider SCR on it compare the scr on the nose?

Cheers

Roy

4 Boards, only 3 Fav...Which deck will be on the market soon;)?

:eek:

Cool, you worst thn me & BlueB can't decide what to ride:freak3:. Btw is your 4WD metal? Curious compare how it ride to WCRMetal 173Wide.

Btw how u like the FLC tail react with wider SCR on it compare the scr on the nose?

Cheers

Roy

Susun thinks I am a sick man with 11 snowboards, 100 golf clubs, 3 cars, 3 road bikes... I tell her -- be glad I only have 1 girlfriend. :lol:

I think I will be selling one of my 178 Volkl RT and one of my 178 Hot Blast.

My 4WD are older non metal types.. the FLC is my first metal.

It was nice hooking up with the Vancouver crowd..

HI SUSUN & C5 GOLFER

it was a pleasure to meet both of you last sunday. doubly so when i found out that SUSUN was also a fellow KLEIN road bike owner.

although there are newer more cutting edge aluminum bikes on the market i still love my old KLEINS even though i only ride each one for a few days every 4 or 5 years (when i am in a RETRO mood lol) and then completely clean and dismantle them and put them away into storage for another 4 or 5 years. sadly the old technology of the KLEINS is now looked down upon in the same manner by the cycling cognoscenti as BURTON FACTORY PRIMES are by the BOMBERONLINE cognoscenti.

SUSUN: here are the photos i promised to post of one of my KLEINS that is the closest model to your QUANTUM. mine is the slightly different QUANTUM II which has the same geometry as yours except for some minor differences (cable routing, seatpost clamp etc.) this particular bike was painted in my favorite shade of red colour and i was heartbroken when it was discontinued by KLEIN and i had to settle for a blue QUANTUM PRO a few years later as i didn’t like the newer shades of red.

C5 GOLFER: as promised i have posted some photos of the ancient KLEIN mountain bike that I converted into a dual purpose bad road (26 inch wheels lol) “backup” cyclocross and “backup” tourer. like most KLEIN owners i made my buying decision based on COLOUR lol. i liked this colour so much i had the above bike painted in the exact same colour even though the bikes are of different vintages as can be seen by the different scripts used in the KLEIN logo.

because of the 3 photos per post limit you will have to scroll down multiple posts.

this is the frameset with the record headset races still attached. notice that the gruppo vintage is matched with the frame spacing of the same vintage. hence i hung this frame from the early to mid 90’s with one of my favorite campy gruppos (RECORD with delta brakes) from that era:

DSCI1652.jpg

to alleviate my safety concerns i swapped out the stock fork for a kestrel carbon fibre fork with a steel steerer. the record headset race is still attached:

DSCI1665.jpg

this is as much of the record delta gruppo as i could reasonably fit into one photo with the limited capacity of my cheap camera and poor photography skills. the only modification pictured is the front deraileur clamp which is a shimano clamp as back then campy didn't have an oversized clamp:

DSCI1676.jpg

HI SUSUN

next 3 photos.

these are the record 8 speed ergo levers:

DSCI1667.jpg

here is the crankset. notice there are only 4 spider arms which was unique to the RECORD gruppo at the time. all the other gruppos of that vintage such as chorus, athena etc. had 5 spider arms. shimano never copied this as even their comparable DURACE line had 5 spider arms:

DSCI1700.jpg

because of the oversized seat tube i had to get a 31.6 cm SYNCROS seatpost. i tried to find the original 27ish cm seatpost but i think it was on one of my italian bikes that i gave away to my friend JUSTINE who was a young kid who wanted to try out racing. i don’t she made enough from her cypress mountain ski area job to fund decent race bike lol.

DSCI1688.jpg

HI SUSUN

last 2 photos.

the front hub. sorry for the poor pic as i originally took the photos of the wrong wheelset just before the batteries in my camera died and then had to rely on my cell phone camera. i double-checked and these are the original hubs from the above gruppo although the rims and spokes have been replaced multiple times. in the crappy photo you can just barely notice the grease fitting in the middle of the hub that was characteristic of all record gruppos. this allowed you to lube your hubs without fiddling around with cone wrenches and skinning your knuckles--eventually this feature trickled down to most of the other gruppos i think:

Photo-0007.jpg

the rear hub. Same crappy quality photo as I took it at the same time as the above photo:

Photo-0010.jpg

i hope i got photos of the entire campy record delta gruppo hung on this particular frameset. if not, omissions will have to wait until summer time when i have more time to spend on bikes. right now it’s still snowboard season!

p.s. i forgot to mention in the picture of the frameset in the first post i forgot to mention the press in bottom bracket--you can just lift the bearing seal off like a skateboard bearing.

p.p.s. clean with some wd40 and then let it dry COMPLETELY before saturating with a grease gun otherwise residual wd40 will eat away the fresh grease!

HI C5 GOLFER

as promised, here are photos of the FRANKENBIKE i created from used parts from various bikes in my stable. unfortunately, entire gruppos never seem to wear out all at once and sometimes technology moves on and i am stuck with mismatched parts. this bike as it all. cheap campy veloce ergo levers on a shimano XTR rear deraileur. YES--it was a NIGHTMARE changing the spacing in the shimano cassette to match the throw of the campy ergo levers. remember this is old 8 speed stuff which was a lot more durable than later higher numbered cogged cassettes—which is important in a FRANKENBIKE since it is used and abused constantly. the only advantage to 9 speed was that the spacing had narrowed so much that there wasn’t much difference anymore between SHIMANO and CAMPY. i was never a good enough rider to readily notice the slight decrease in shifting performance of mixing up the two companies’ wheels. i remember fixing a flat by mistakenly putting a 9 speed campy wheel on a 9 speed durace bike one sleepy morning. i actually rode it for about 2 hours and didn’t notice until i was wiping my bike down afterwards lol! as you can see from the photos i rarely threw anything away and always tried to use my bike components until they wore out. my snobby friend TYLER always said this bike looked like it was assembled with discarded parts from the junkyard. since i am an inveterate cheapskate i just ignored him lol.

believe it or not this bike has been repaired with more makeshift ideas than my DUCT-TAPED snowboard gloves lol!

photo of the bike:

DSCI1712.jpg

closeup of the campy veloce ergo levers:

DSCI1722.jpg

closeup of ancient shimano xtr rear derailleur:

DSCI1718.jpg

HI C5 GOLFER

the next 3 photos.

a frontal view of the SALSA cyclocross handlebar we were discussing. it looks almost like a touring/randonee handlebar:

DSCI1714.jpg

mismatched shimano XT front derailleur:

DSCI1724.jpg

this last photo is of some aftermarket “top-pull” cyclocross levers that i have been meaning to mount on this bike. they mount inline to the existing brake cables. much neater than the old school way of running 4 separate brake cables. a lot of cyclocross riders didn’t bother with the extra weight. in the case with my FRANKENBIKE it would have meant that i would have had to remove the plastic alligator from my handlebar—if i did that i would no longer be COOL lol.

DSCI1705.jpg

HI C5 GOLFER

finally the last photo is the EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT i was telling you about. it weighs less than 190 grams so when i open the window and a strong wind blows the paperweight is too light to keep the papers from blowing all over the place. ironically, i spent all that money and it can’t even function as a decent paperweight lol:

DSCI1672.jpg

the above IBIS titanium stem was one of the dumbest things i ever bought. i keep it around to remind MR. IMPULSE to think twice before making rash buying decisions.

that was more effort than i anticipated to post all the photos i promised to. please wait until after snowboard season if you have further questions lol. I GOTTA TAKE A NAP!