Note to New Members ×

Anybody ever ride a Winterstick Tom Burt?

Guest thomas_m

Sandy, can you tell me if the "Heli-Cat" is the same as the "Wide" . Or is it indeed a custom or "Limited Version"??

Second board from the left. 187cm

Thanks again for the info. Bryan

I tried to get more "Condoms" (the 200cm Tanker Bag"

the year the "Millinium 2000" version came out.

No Go. They only had one. I like the simple design.

Great , for unzipping and makes a quick "Camp Pad" in a pinch.

Lays flat and it over 6' long.

I will try to get a gallery together on the site with the tanker photos. Please feel free to send higher resilution photos directly to me at the site address . Thanks, Bryan

Bryan,

The board you are referring to is the Wide/Oversize Tanker. They are limited in the sense that not as many of them are made and that is the only year model that was dedicated to heli operations in North America (wider = better float). As for the actual numbers of that model, I would think that Harry Gunz at Rad-Air would be the best at answering that question. Hope that helps, but the only board that was truly a limited model was the 02-03 Tanker Crown 172 and 200 (only 33 of each produced and sold and they had the serial numbers were hand painted on them as well as they had titanium inserts, 6000 grade base, carbon/kevlar core, and stainless steel edges...this all equalled about 60% the weight of the regular model for that year). Additionally, this years 200cm board is tuned by Rad-Air rider Ralph Castelberg and has his signature on the board while the 162 and 172 are tuned by Dani Kiwi Meier and have his signature on them.

cheers...

I will send some pics to the site in about a week as I am about to go away for a trip for work.

Wow! Thanks Sandy, much appreciated!!

I typically don't like wider boards , however this board has allot of side-cut and excellent blood lines. I am going to have to give it a try. Anyone ridden the 187cm "Heli-Cat". I would be interested in your impressions. Thanks, Bryan

Bryan, that board is a lot of fun to ride, but the 200cm board is more fun...anyways, yes the millenium board condom was hard to come by and worked great for lounging on while waiting in the airport as well. As for the board photos, do you want pics of the boards alone or are people with them o.k.? I have some comparison pics of the 02-03 Crown and Regular models i can send you for sure as I had the Crown and a friend has the regular so we took some comparison shots. I also have some pics from the first two Longboard Classic events in Japan. The pic I already posted with all of the bases showing has a 187 in it and we had a lot of fun riding it around and comparing the different models of tankers and everyone that sees them just gawks and cannot believe the size of them, but I think the best looks come from the skiers when you stand next to them and they realize just how short their skis are next to the two meter boards, and I agree that most people are hesitant to try one because of the size, but once they do they are hooked.

speed is your friend...

Most boarders don't realize that they are 200cm and when you tell them they are shocked. I have taken mine into the pipe once just for a laugh and to see all of the stares and my friend Ralph took his in and started doing a pretty good session on his and it created quite a stir, but the number one comment to all of the people on short boards and skis has to be:

"CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF...SIZE MATTERS!"

Bryan, mine is a 200. The picture doesn't do this bad-ass board justice. Looks great in black, and the 04/05s look nice too. I thought the older ones in white or whatever didn't look as good. It's also not that wide - 24.5 cm waist, which is pretty narrow for a 200 cm freeride deck. Most of the manufacturers increase the waist on the longer models.

svr, thanks for the confirmation on the year. I haven't tried it yet so I don't have any answers to your quiz. I'll have to prepare some smart-ass answers in advance.

"You should see my longboard."

"Yes, I'm compensating for something."

"I just wanted a short board to learn how to spin."

"I crush all girly-man boards."

I definitely agree with all SVR says. I also prefer riding mine in stiffer soft boot set-up. And I would like to add that I will be riding my newer version a lot this year.

I like to tell anyone that asks, is that my board is only a tiny 170 and then just before I slide toward the lift I tell them the truth and watch their jaws drop. And the beauty is that is one of the best freeriding boards on the mountain.

(1st post!)

This turned into a cool thread. The Tanker sounds intriguing.

Back to the original question - no but close. I have an Avalanche Tom Burt board (actually 2) that I love. The numbers look the same. It is great for wind packed powder days above treeline and very good for other powder. It's fairly stiff and will also hold a decent softboot carve (can I say that? ;) ) on the groomers. If the angles look good, I'll try it in the bowls/powder days with my new hardboot setup. Some powder days I ride a softer wider board with a bigger scoop on the tail (an old model Avalanche Classic) - esp deep tree powder.

• 2 years later...
I have an Avalanche Tom Burt backcountry board and have looked at the Winterstick TB 172, it's nice. I think a 200cm Tanker is an essential part of any quiver.

Hey Willy, I think you win the prize!!! Nov 5th 2004

The Contest? "Breathing Life Back into a Dead Thread".

I liked this one a so many levels.

Gecko describing early board manufacturing

SVR sharing is Tanker wealth of info.

I was "Slutty" with Tankers

D-Sub as a "Guest"

(I was BEGGIN him to buy a Tanker for 250$ brand new!!)

Winterstick #3 was still in business / #4 anyone?

We were all two years younger :) Time flys

Guest thomas_m

I actually have two dead threads revived at the moment...

Tankers are still great boards, I now have a new 'Mask' 200 and between it and the Dupraz, I still get my share of comments in the lift line. The Happy Monkey alpine board seems very stealth in comparison.

T.

Guest thomas_m
Tom, sounds like a photo is in order?

Love to see this grouping.

Tear it up!!

LOL... Family quiver below. The pic is missing a Steepwater 170 out on loan and a second Fish150 that I just picked up for my 12yr old daughter (more pow for the wife/kids = more pow for me...).

Hoping to make another addition or two this season but that's on the downlow until I can figure a way past SWMBO... ;)

post-863-14184222141_thumb.jpg