Note to New Members ×

Heli Boarding In Alaska Package Deal via Costco?

SnowNBeachAddict

Yeah, it's standby which you pay for if you get to fly or not, the way I read it, so it doesn't make much sense unless you're a local. The rates aren't great and even (standby?) day skiers have higher priority.

It's easy enough to research heli prices, although often they're reticent about standby rates.

Mostly you pay more in busy places, less in far away places. If you've not flown before than AK may not be the best place to start for multiple reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

i have to agree, this is absolutely NOT a deal. all you're basically getting is 3 nights lodging, which can be found for a lot less in valdez. if you do happen to reach your 25,000 vertical, which isn't toally out of the question if it's clear, you'll then be stuck in valdez. if you want to keep riding you're gonna have to pay.

Valdez is basically the most well-known heli spot in AK for people from outside, kinda like how everyone knows the name Vail or Aspen even if they've never been to CO. Valdez heli-camps attracts a lot of "i have more money than skill" type people. I had a friend go down and fill a seat with them a few years ago, he got hooked up from a client. He ended up basically skiing the equivalent of blue runs all day because the other people in the heli couldn't handle anything steeper. That's another thing to consider when looking at filling a seat. the guides have to cater to the lowest ability level in the group, so you could end up paying to ride 25 degree slopes all day.

if you want to go heli-boarding in AK go to Haines. there's a place called alaska heli skiing, it's owned by a guy named sean dog. they're more difficult to get to and more isolated but the terrain and snow quality are way better.