Note to New Members ×

Rear Binding Steeper Than Front?

fishrising

I ride the same front/rear angles or steeper in the front. Never tried steeper in the rear, I would think that it would tweek with my rear knee.

17.5 is a pretty slim board. Do your toes and heels align perfectly with the edges of the board? Also, what is your stance width?

If it feels good and carves well, it can't be bad.

Ben,

I ride with the rear at a higher angle on my narrow boards.. This stemmed from turning the angles up only untill I didn't get toe/heal drag on each board. The end result is slightly different angles on different boards, the most extreme being the narrow Madd 158. After the first day on snow I found that I needed to widen my Stance width on the boards that I turned the rear bindings up on. The F/R canting combined with my increased rear angle put my knees too close. I hope this helps, think snow!

I'm a tall guy (6'7") so I have my width all the forward and all the way back.

Q1: How do you measure the stance width? From middle of front binding to middle of rear binding? Which would be the kingpin on my cateks in this particular case.

My rear binding has the toe at the edge, but there is still room for the heel, it is behind the edge. My front binding has both toe and heel at the edges.

Q2: Should I play with moving the toe and heel bails on the binding, until they are centered on the board rather than the binding? Thus allowing me to decrease my angle...maybe...

I have yet to have this problem any of my other decks. Albeit my 2nd skinniest deck is 19cm...

Thanks!

right, but...isnt the front foot heel at the narrower part too?

heh. for some reason logic tells me that only the rear foot should be moved

all I know is I HATE having my feet toward the heel. Made the mistake of mounting soft bindings that way once...drove me NUTS!

Thanks SWT...

Although, I just realized, that since I am in a mondo 31, my heel block on my rear binding is already in the furthest to the rear set of holes, while the toe block is set back one set of holes. This is on the Catek long plates...hhhhmmm...maybe I can find an extra long plate...or just suck it up and ride the angles I have...

What about rotating the base plate 90* and then moving it towards one side of the board, rather than towars the tail or nose? Now the base plate would be off center, but is that OK?

surely a higher stance angle on the rear foot would encourage your rear knee to wedge behind the front one during a carve, effectively forming a triangle thus reducing balance, this is old school tech that is now proven to be inferior, especially on loose, uneven surfaces.

then again i could well be wrong about your rear knee wanting to get closer to the front one

Is there reason why you now have set rear binding steeper ?

Does it feel that way better when you ride or stand on board ?

Or is it only because otherwise your front binding would have too high angle ?

If answer to second one is ok then go ahead but if it is just last one, then dial more to front.

For normal body and feet structure that kind of setting is not recommended, but if it feels better that "normal" setup just ride and have fun.

To answer your question...

1. Yes, there is a reason...beacue the sidecut of the board does not allow me give the rear binding any less of an angle without producing toe drag.

2. It does not feel better that way when I stand on it. I prefer to keep my front binding steeper.

3. I do not like to go any steeper than I have to. My front binding is also set to the least possible angle without toe or heel drag.

I guess I could make the front binding as steep as rear. But I will have to try that once we have snow....and that would mean 64* and 64*, which seems pretty steep...but who knows I might like it, I haven't ridden this board yet...just trying to get it set up...