Note to New Members ×

Prior 4wd

Fox

Qucik question, I am considering the purchase of a Prior 4wd. I board in So. Cal and at Mammoth Mtn. most of the times. I took my Oxygen Proton 157 (I'm 5'9 - 155 and a intermediate carver) to the local mountain and by 11:00 AM I went to my soft boot set up due to the over crowding. I'm hoping that the 4wd will allow me to carve when I'm able to and skid when I have to. Can anyone with expierence shed some light on if this is the right board for me? I appreciate the feedback. Side note: I know my spelling sucks, I'm a product of the California school system

You can skid on anything...

The main thing you want in this situation is a board that has a tight turn radius. The 4x4 has a tight turn radius and is versatile for different snow conditions... but the same could be said for many other boards out there.

Coiler AM

Donek Axess

Most any board with a SL sidecut

... the list could be long

For many great suggestions on all-mountain boards, look at recent "Best All-Mountain Board" tread...

I would add that it is easier (for me) to skid with flatter angles and more stance splay (surf stance).

To answer your direct question, 4WD is a great board and would slide well when wanted.

Hey Fox, I live in Southern Calif also and carve regularly at Summit. I own a few boards, one is a 179cm 4WD. That board does definitely turn quicker than the other GS type boards in my inventory. I usually take the 4WD out when I know it will be crowded. Mind you, when it is crowded I am usually just doing smear type turns or quick cross under turns unless there is a break in traffic then I will lay some trenches down. I have had a few collisions over the years trying to carve when crowded. People hitting you from behind, sometimes it is wise just to put the hard, across the fall line type carving on hold till the slopes clear out a bit.

BTW, I see only one spelling error

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I did visit the other tread regarding the AM boards and it was very helpful. Buying a new board is just out of my reach right now and I tentatively found a deal on the 4wd otherwise I would consider all of the other options.

Does anyone have any recollection on how much camber their 4wd's have? The one i"m looking at has about a quarter inch, seems low to me but I'm not an expert on the matter. Apparently about 10 days on the board so far.

Ugh, I hate the protons for that very reason.

I started out hardbooting on a 178 Proton. Great board while I had it, but the thing I hated most was the way it would lock into a carve. It was a pain in the ass to get out of, and it was what made me buy a Prior.

Trust me, go with the 4x4. You will not regret it.

Does anyone have any recollection on how much camber their 4wd's have? The one i"m looking at has about a quarter inch, seems low to me but I'm not an expert on the matter. Apparently about 10 days on the board so far.

I have a 4WD 174 and it only has about 1/4" of camber. Great learning board and good on crowded slopes.