Note to New Members ×

Boots - Race Fit

Kent

I posted this in another thread....

Nice yyzcanuck.

I thought this was a nice write up of the types to go with your graphic:

There are three basic normal foot structures which exist in the human foot:

1) Rectus Foot Type-this is a normal foot structure with an ‘average' arch, and has an ‘average' calcaneal inclination angle.

2) Cavus Foot Type-this is a normal foot structure with a ‘high' arch, and has a higher than average calcaneal inclination angle.

3) Planus Foot Type-this is a normal foot structure with a ‘low' arch, and has a lower than average calcaneal inclination angle.

The normal (or average) calcaneal inclination angle is between 18-22 degrees. For information, and graphics, regarding the calcaneal inclination angle, and other related radiographic angles of the human foot, here.

One of these three basic foot structures are inherited at the time of birth. There are varying degrees within each individual foot type; however, the important thing to recognize is ALL three of these foot structures are normal . (awww c'mon. killin' my fun here!)

{There are fewer foot problems associated with individuals who have a rectus (average arch height) foot type vs. a cavus (higher arch height) or a planus (lower arch height) foot type.}

Source

FSG,

Camera angle +large heelbone =exaggerated dimension of ancient bone spur. That spur developed when I began riding hardboots, and began to recede when I got rid of the inward canting on my rear binding.

I don't ride in a boot that snug. I ride in a boot that is snugger. I'm just a niche, within a niche, wrapped in darkness and silence.

LB,

I had always heard that the "Greeks would inherit the earth". Tough to do as only 10%.

There is a large amount of misinformation out there on feet, how they work, and what is considered 'normal'.

I suspect that back when cobblers built shoes by hand, it was good enough to commission a single symmetric anvil from the local blacksmith. Same thing with wooden lasts. Shoes were leather, and would eventually conform to the foot, so a symmetric toe box was no issue.

A symmetric toe box is easier (thus cheaper) to scale when you are cutting shell molds in multiple sizes out of aluminum.

Most ski boots are sized 1 to 2 sizes too large. In this situation, the user won't notice the squeeze of the symmetric toe box, and I suspect the average skier is not going to gravitate towards a shell with an apparent tumor where the big toe is supposed to be.

Functional shoes are seldom stylish, (or even appealing to the eye), and style is everything, right?

So I guess I can say again, "They make it, because 'you' buy it."

Maybe not You, but you know, 'you'...

Outside of ski boots, mountaineering boots, hockey skates(remember the old black Langes from the '70's?), and perhaps a player to be named later, injection molding of shoe parts represents a fairly small part of the market. (Excepting shoe soles of oriental origin. They all look like they were sqeezed from the same tube of caulk). Why change the traditional, mostly effective, manufacturing process for what, again, represents a niche market?

I once asked the former president of Garmont USA why it was so hard to make effective improvements to their telemark boots. He said that the Italians would do things as they saw fit, based on what they had always done; and that, as a hiking boot manufacturer, telemark boots were just an afterthought.

Back to toe shapes; the Garmont Voodoo and Prophet both have an asymmetric toe box, with room for the longer first digit of the Egyptian foot. This has been a feature on select hiking boots for a number of years.

Consider yourself fortunate not to own a cuboid foot.

BD,

Not only are 'we' in the minority, 'we' of the Greek foot are alleged to be just a bit smarter...So welcome to the club.

FSG,

Camera angle +large heelbone =exaggerated dimension of ancient bone spur. That spur developed when I began riding hardboots, and began to recede when I got rid of the inward canting on my rear binding.

I don't ride in a boot that snug. I ride in a boot that is snugger. I'm just a niche, within a niche, wrapped in darkness and silence.

Well I'm impressed, that is one form fitting hunk of plastic there, no doubt. If I could run something like that I'd be all over it! But I might have to wait for reincarnation to embrace a setup like that.

post-3210-141842297918_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turned out they fit perfectly :)

Question: while buckly up the boots, I mispositioned the tongue insert so it was cutting into the shell a bit (the lower boot part, with the upper cuff over it)

It's too late as I've made a dent in the inner shell, no discomfort but it's kind of weird.

Is there a way to fix this?