Note to New Members ×

Recommend a large SCR twintip

tpalka

I'm looking for a board to use with snow kiting -- and don't know much at all about softbooting boards. Rather than investing in a kiting-specific board I'm looking to buy a twin tip, to mount with softies, something in the 165-180 range and with a SCR larger than 9-10m. Any ideas what kind of board that would be? Anyone have an old one lying around the basement that they might want to part with? I'll be trying to kite on my hardboot setup soon, but not ready for it yet... Thanks,

tom.

But you have to learn to fly the kite before you try HBs. The acceleration was outrageous, the flying behind your back (rather than fakie) was impossible for me.

I'm kiting on skiis now 'cause it's hard to get into the SB bindings with a kite overhead. The newer kites are much easier to control in the 12 o'clock position. (I'm flying an ozone frenzy 4-line)

I bought my Winterstick ST to kite with (currently in the classifieds) but really skiis are the way to go at first.

Be careful; have a good leash/depower setup (don't use an older inflatable) and don't go when you could get lofted.

I don't know anything about kiting, but as far as the board specs you're looking for. The newer tankers would fit that bill, as would a Donek Incline.

If anything, go for the Incline since it hasn't been out sourced to cheap labor and is still cheaper than a Tanker anyway.

Steepwater also makes twin tips in that range, the Plow would probably pretty nice.

Another board in that range would be an Osin/Dynastar 3800 if you can find one.

That's pretty much all I can think of.

Thanks everyone!

tahoetrencher -- I've been kiting for over a year and I so far I got some 10-12 snowkiting days this season. I started on my tele skis, then kited a bunch on nordic backcountry gear, and last 2-3 days were on a Salomon Daniel Frank 153, and flying the 11M Frenzy. The Salomon board is small, super turny, but as a bonus it's setup goofy (I ride regular) :) I'll look at the Winterstick you have for sale. Good to read your suggestions, thanks!

Bullwings -- thanks!

Boris -- I'll email you and take this offline.

If anyone else has other thoughts, please keep them coming. Thanks!

I ride a soft boot set up for kiting. I don't have an opinion on a specific board. I am using a Salomon Forecast 155, just because that is what I happen to still own. Probably switch to a my longer twin tip soon.

However, I would Highly recommend Flow bindings over the normal 4 buckle/ratchet bindings for the ease of getting into. MUCH easier when you have a kite in the air.:eek:

I've been kiting Lake Dillon (Also for about a year now). Usually flying an 11m Best Yarga or 14m Cabrina Nitro here.

Flow bindings make sense, my current bindings take a lot of work. The fact that I'm riding in cross-country ski boots isn't helping either -- lots of binding slop.. I'll try some of my bigger boards as soon as I get home, but still want to look into a longer board with 10+ SCR, think that would work best. Rickythecat -- I'll be heading up to Dillon in the next couple of weeks, maybe I'll see you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to wrap this up, I ended up buying a Twisted Velocity 164cm, kite-specific board. It was a bit more $$ than a used Tanker, but it's fully rockered, no (actually posi) sidecut, and it's flexy.

http://www.twistedkiteboards.com/

Took it out to the ski resort yesterday just to see how it rides, and it was mindboggling at first -- I'm so used to turning by setting the board on edge, and this one just went straight! Figured it out fairly well after one long run with lots of falls, and had a hoot the rest of the afternoon. It rode nice in the powder too. Yet another way to improve one's balance, timing and to become a better rider.

Thanks again to all for responses.

After I posted, I checked out your carving video. You were on the lake this last weekend. Not much carving in that video.:rolleyes: I was also out there with an 11m, but also decided best not to put it in the air. Sunday was definately :eek::eek::eek:.

To return to the original thread - Today I just picked up a Prior 166 twintip board to use for kiting.

Thanks, Rick -- I'll look you up next time we're heading that way. Yes, Sunday was way too strong... I should have stuck to my regular setup and not bothered trying the alpine. I had one nice long-ish heelside, and then I realized I never gave much thought to the transition, other than just carving on the toeside :)