Note to New Members ×

Will it fit? downsizing boots

DiveBomber

Well Im looking at buying some new Head boots that are 1/2 size smaller than im wearing now.

Right now Im wearing Heads in 29.5, I wear a 12.5 street shoe.

The thing is the shells on my boots now are 29.5-31 range (lower shell) So my liners are on the smallest of the range, and I can move the liner around inside the shell.

So I thought what if I went down to the next shell size?

Only thing is, I tried it with Burtons and it didnt work, they were too tight even after a little stretching, but the difference is that the shell range in burtons is only .5 size not 1.5 size like the heads.

and since I cant try these on first i'd like to get some opinions.

I just looked at my head Stratos boots.

it says Mondo 30. I tried a 31-32 originaly and I was too sloppy in it.

I'm no authority on it, but if memory serves, the shell for 29-30 is the same. It is the liner that was the factor, because initialy my 30s were really tight, but they fit me perfectly now. I wear a 12.5 to 13 shoe also, but have long toes and a narrow foot. Best way to know for sure is call a head bootfitter like THE STARTING GATE in VT and ask the 'sperts. :biggthump

Not familiar w/ how Head sizes their boot shells - I bet they are the same as everyone else - Pokkis is right - shell sizes are made only in whole sizes to cover two (2) foot sizes. There is no such thing as a boot that is 1/2 size smaller than the one you have. Two different size liners are used for one shell size, it's the smaller of the two liners that is usually slightly higher volume to take up the extra space in the shell.

Where are you looking @ the numbers on your boots? The actual shell size should be on the inside, not the out side. And in the lower shell where your foot goes, not the upper cuff.

Only way to know for sure is to PROPERLY shell fit a boot. Bola and Fin both carry Heads, and you could try them on before you buy the pair your looking at. You can also start with measuring your foot using Bomber's Boot Fitting Guide to see what size your foot really is.

Street shoe size doesn't necessarily relate to alpine boot size - your actual foot size is what counts. Street shoe sizes vary from one company to another. If you can move your liner around inside the shell, then I'd be willing to bet you'd be safe to down size one shell size.

I just looked at my head Stratos boots.

it says Mondo 30. I tried a 31-32 originaly and I was too sloppy in it.

I'm no authority on it, but if memory serves, the shell for 29-30 is the same. It is the liner that was the factor, because initialy my 30s were really tight, but they fit me perfectly now. I wear a 12.5 to 13 shoe also, but have long toes and a narrow foot. Best way to know for sure is call a head bootfitter like THE STARTING GATE in VT and ask the 'sperts. :biggthump

christ, most shells are the half size and it's lower whole size. so my Heads for example are 285s or with a bulky liner a 28.0 but the truth is the shell is a 285

burton is the exception here, with burton their true size is the whole number listed on the shell

lower end brands sometimes do funky things at both ends of their sizes trying to save money and having to provide less f the unpopular shell sizes but if a shell is marked that it covers two whole sizes say 29 to 30 I'd really make the point to make sure it's fitted well.

with 12.5 US I'd err to getting a boot too small and stretching it as well as adding a thermo or injected liner. unless you're someone with a really high volume foot you can make a boot a full size too small work.

do you know what your exact mondo is?

you might be best off to go see Michelle and Fin to see if they will let you try on some shells.

Pardon me if this is old hat to you, but it sounds like it might not be:

Take the liners out of the current shells and just put your bare feet into the shells. Then slide your foot forward until your toes are pressing against the front of the shell. Now check how much room there is between your heel and the inside of the boot's heel. You want NO MORE than two fingers' width of air there - less would be better.

If you're a 12.5 and wearing 29.5 Heads my guess is that they're at least a size too big (I wear 11.5 Wide street shoes and 27 Mondo ski and snowboard boots - both with custom liners). Lots of people wear too-big boots and find them too tight, because A) They have them cranked way up to try to make up for the slop, and/or B) the geometry of the boot doesn't match up with the geometry of the foot - widest spot is too far forward, usually, and the ankle's off too.

So, I'm betting that smaller shells would be GREAT, but can't say whether the liners will work in them. Thermo - fitted liners most likely would, with a re-cook. Once your feet are in the right size shell, you get to find out what real support is like. You'll buckle much looser but feel much more secure.

ive always gone with the rule of ONE whole size smaller than street shoe 12.5=30.5 mondo-1= 29.5 and it fits fine. As I mentioned the burtons 29's are too small even after having them streched a bit (but still with 29 liners) so we'll see.

I dont have to tighten my boots too tight, infact I like a tiny bit of room to adjust if i feel the need, I dont like a cast like fit.

maybe your feet are skinny?