Note to New Members ×

AF700 boot problems/questions

teach

I have some AF700 boots I got used and took them out for the first time a few days ago. My heels felt badly pinched while riding. It may be partly the liner -- both have a black mark right where my heels hurt (circled in white):

post-8138-14184229621_thumb.jpg

I looked in the boot shells and saw this:

post-8138-141842296213_thumb.jpg

Crudely circled is what I guess is a rivet for the ankle hinge. It's ragged on the inside -- looks like a part is missing -- and sticks out further than the recess (and into my heel). The other boot has the same problem, for a different reason: the previous owner fixed a broken hinge with a flathead screw and washer. The washer isn't countersunk so the screw head sticks out, jamming into my heel.

Question 1: Does the cant assembly Bomber sells for these boots work to fix this, or is that only the other side (inside of boot)?

Question 2: Any good fixes known? I've searched the forum and the only thing that comes up is for the Suzuka, which looks a little different from mine.

Question 3: Are these liners Thermofit, and if so how do I get them to mold to my heel? Otherwise, what can I do to get a better heel fit? I have funny bumps on the backs of my heels as well as narrow heels. But other than the pinching and the fact that the liner seems really packed-out in the heel, the boots seem to fit nicely.

Question 4: Without liners my feet fit with two fingers to spare, so should I think about going down a shell size? (Rounding down my foot measurement says this also.) Anyone selling AF700s in 29? That would be great for my angles...

Thanks for any suggestions/advice/information/fixes!

No, they do not look like Thermo Fit

The hinge rivets are like that.

The fix for the Suzuka should be similar.

Pain is not good.

Some would say 2 fingers is allot, however it is not the only method to size boots.

Use the Bomber method.

I have some 29M AF700s but they are my personal back ups. So, no bargains.

Try a couple more searches using "boot cant broke*" and you will likely find plenty of help.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26964&highlight=boot+broke%2A%22

I was anxious to ride again so I made a trip to my local hardwareland and got a ton of stuff, most of which I'll probably return. I wound up using two socket-head #10-24 3/4" bolts, four #10 washers, four #10 nylon washers, and two #10 stainless t-nuts, the ones without barbs. I drilled out the rivet in the half-moon-shaped piece on the outside of the ankle with a bit to fit the #10 screw, then drilled it out from inside to receive the t-nut. I think that was a 15/64" bit. I filed the rivet down so that it was slightly less than flush with the inside of the boot, so that the t-nut when inserted could rest flush. Put it together with two stainless washers for spacers (too lazy to grind the 3/4" bolt down to not protrude) and two nylon washers since the cuff moves against the bolt head. I used blue loctite to keep it together (may be a bit difficult to get back apart... hmmm... or maybe it won't hold very well on such a small diameter). Here are some photos of the fix:

post-8138-141842296719_thumb.jpg

Above: The half-moon shaped piece/rivet being drilled out. Had to use cell phone camera here. Below: The fixed boots.

post-8138-141842296723_thumb.jpg

Inside view, t-nut circled. Nice and unobtrusive!

post-8138-141842296725_thumb.jpg

I really wanted to use hex head bolts with a sealed bearing recessed into the half-moon shaped thing and a hex nut for bearing preload... then I would really have Frankenboots!

I used the #10 hardware because the t-nut can fit inside the rivet. I thought of drilling the whole thing out and using a 5/16" t-nut. It's just the right length. I thought I should try this first, though, and it seems OK.

Took these out yesterday and they worked just fine. No more heel pain.