Note to New Members ×

Splitboarding

boarderboy

Nice article, but shame on them for not breathing a word about 1) avalanche safety and 2) Bomber splitboard bindings!

"...while Spark R&D of Bozeman, Mont., and Voile-USA of Salt Lake City are offering the first split-specific bindings."

I'm dipping my toe into splitboarding/back country this season -- Mt. Hood Meadows is getting too crowded on the weekends to be enjoyable. I'm working on getting a board, and have signed up for an Avalanche 1 class, though I still need a shovel, probe, and transceiver.

Lots of new gear to buy, on top of the avy course ($265), make this a kind of expensive hobby to get into - kind of like carving, in fact. ;-) I'm pretty sold though, my wife and I have done some snowshoe ascents carrying our downhill gear, and it's a tough enough slog that it makes a splitboard look good.

I'd be interested to hear from others who have splitboarding experience about what's worked well for them.