Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks Diary 2009/2010

lonbordin

I had one of your S turn on the cord shots as my Blackberry wallpaper for a while.

Nice Shots!

And no we do not have corduroy... we have lumpy stuff on top of ice.

The sun was battling (59 F) but the snow pack was winning.

IF Buck was closer I'd make the drive but I can almost make it to Snowshoe in the same amount of time!! The "midwest" is large!

no cord? do they ever groom?

in the mornings at we're spoiled. sundays are the best! the grooming is usually immaculate. no crowds.

in warm weather riding at night is probably close to what you typically ride. i don't like the death cookies, ice cubes, etc. it shreds my gloves and jacket. i don't like the chunky feel of riding on rutted ice.

a couple of guys have bought metal boards. it makes a big difference in riding over less than ideal conditions. the boards are so damp that you don't feel how crappy the snow is. we just had rain last night. :mad: one guy is happily looking forward to riding on ice with his metal coiler.

buck is a small hill. there are bigger places to ride between here and indiana. i just happen to live within 2 miles of the place. BUT should you be in town for whatever reason and you brought your board, let us know.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe with all this snow they close Monday. :(

Is Paoli done for the year? Mad River shut their doors on Monday, but only with the promise to re-open Friday afternoon and stay open all weekend. Now if the rain would just hold off we might get a second weekend out of this. The old management would have pushed the snow from the park onto the main run and stayed open during the week, but now it's all about pinching pennies.

Went windskating today and found a killer place. Usually I go to this church parking lot but they had something going on so I drove around looking for another spot and came across a park with narrow but extremely long parking lots that surround 8 ball fields. Nobody there doing anything so had the place all to myself. Did get stung by a bee. Haven't been stung in years. Not sure, but think he may have been hybernating in my sail and got mad I woke him up.

Paoli is either open this weekend or done for the year... the website says they are taking a wait and see approach but I talked to some of the staff and I think they are done. Damn shame to as they have a tremendous amount of snow. They never even pushed their snow "hills" around to cover the thin spots... they didn't have to...

If they were to consolidate the snow on just Jurassic and Powerline/Mindbender and just run the one lift they could've probably stayed open for another couple of weeks easily. They have HUGE mounds of snow on both of those runs that they could spread out. That would be a penny pinching strategy I could understand.

Their business "model" baffles me. There is only a couple of bars in the area and they have a liquor license and a small bar area. Why that doesn't stay open year round is a complete mystery. Hell they don't keep the bar open during the week sometimes during season???

Ah well the joys of a small hill. :rolleyes:

Lonbordin, so how the heck do you guys do that pond skimming with almost no clothes on!?!??! :eek::eek: I've spent a lot of my life kayaking in cold water - but I do it in a freakin' full drysuit!!!!! Is it totally cheating to wear a nice wetsuit under your retro onepiece, for instance?

There will be pond skimming here on Sunday, and I might head up to Whitefish for their closing weekend (including skimming) in a couple weeks - but will most likely just spectate! :lurk:

p.s. congrats on your win!!!

Cold conditions don't affect me as much as most people. :freak3:

More muscle mass = a greater ability to produce heat so I'm good to go. Also I lived in New England for a number of years and surfed all winter in a wet-suit. Coldest day I remember was water 31 F (-0.5C)(slushy salt water at the water's edge) and air 16 F (-9C) but NO wind and a beautiful chest high swell. So fun! You really did feel it on the face when you got up to speed going down the line.

Most places have large wool blankets waiting for the pond skimming contestants but it was in the 50's that day and while I did get a little wet I never needed one.

I say go for it. Take a change of clothes, your biggest board and have fun. There is a benefit of having few clothes on is that it is quicker to dry off and warm back up.

ps- Thanks... I think I'll do it again next year. :smashfrea

• 1 year later...