Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain Status

rhaskins

http://www.spiritmt.com/snowreport.aspx

Sounds like my local hill in that they do not give the man made snow a chance to dry as they do out West. Makes for a "firm" base when they groom wet snow near the guns. With the Artic air coming down they ought to have a string of productive snow making days and nights.

"Spirit Mountain's Snowmaking Crew was hard at work last night and the snowguns are still going strong. In order to ensure a good base of snow, we will open for the ski and snowboard season at 9am on Saturday! Hours Sat 9-9, Sun 9-5, M-F Noon-8. Regular hours begin 12/12. Snocross has been postponed to: Dec. 11-13."

Not sure on the number of runs; I'd be surprised if it's more than 2.

Russ

• 4 weeks later...

Bob;

DSAC Ski and Snowboard camp will be running both Tuesday and Wednesday; if you there early enough, you'll get some Four Pipe time before they get out of the chalet and onto the slope.

We had quite a bit of rain on Friday; I was out Saturday evening enjoying the boilerplate, but then was quite surprised Sunday evening how much it had improved. With a couple more days of grooming, you'll be good.

I've got work commitments both days, so let me know when you going to be up this way again!

Russ

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td><b>Date</b></td><td>12/29/2009</td></tr><tr><td><b>Temp</b></td><td>0F at start, warmed up to the teens, nasty windchill</td></tr><tr><td><b>Visibility</b></td><td>sun</td></tr><tr><td><b>Conditions</b></td><td>soft cord on top of boiler plate</td></tr><tr><td><b>Hardbooters</b></td><td> 2 (me, some guy)</td></tr></table>

Morning

if you're going to go this week, sharpen your edges and be patient. it was cold when i set out, about 0F with a nasty windchill. thought for sure conditions would be good with cold temps. yes, it was good but only if you're into skidding. i overheard a couple raving about the great conditions. that's probably true considering the recent christmas snow/rain. carving on alpine skis probably would've been okay. hardboots... the conditions left much to be desired.

the snow was 1-2 soft groom on top with boiler plate underneath. the ice underneath felt like gravel and chunky. i chattered, slow down, start again. i had to ride high to the board. i was blowing out edges.

the dululth alpine ski club was having camps and the runs were crowded everywhere. whenever i was at the top it was like a snowboarding in a roller rink. people were skiing and boarding in close proximity albeit very slow. frustrating.

i did see a hard booter. didn't catch up to him. saw him going down four pipe. he blew out a toe-side at those skier left rollers near the bottom. he had a bmx style helmet, dark board, dark clothing.

in the chalet, they hot chocolate was addicting. liquid crack!

the rundown:

four pipe: the first run down the chair was telling. the cord was soft. board was hitting the ice underneath. blew out a toe-side and slid. the portion between the 'slow' sign down to the rollers on skiers left was carveable but i was riding upright and avoiding everyone. lots of lessons going on. bottom carving was okay. from the chair some of the trenches looked so-so. the chair lift kept shutting down. don't know why... wind maybe?

scissor bill: closed to nastar

bindle stiff: carve two turns to reach the pitch transition. icy underneath. waited for people to move. carved a couple turns and tried staying close to the edges. carved more at the bottom then the top. repeat.

sky hooker: was able to carve a couple turns at the top but it was icy underneath. board would go faster than my edge confidence. it was somewhat busy with people skidding and snow plowing. found bare ice. repeat. later found more ice.

bear claw: early morning gandy had race course. top of bear claw had some bare spots of ice. i side slipped ice for about and almost fell. made about 2-3 carved turns then got freaked by the rollers. slipped through those then went to the bottom. a ski team assembled on top so i didn't return.

double jaw: was able to carve most of it but i was literally jumping up and down on the edges to get them to bite. i'd slow down for the pitch transitions. i had more control on that run the four pipe.