Note to New Members ×

Trail cam pics

jtslalom

Thats a nice looking 8 pointer. I got 3 this year as well, 2 does and a 4 pointer with a nice sized body.

How tough was that goose? My dad shot a turkey at about 20 yards one night when we were out. It was a pass through right in center mass. The bird flopped a bit and then layed there. We left it until close to dark while we waited for deer. When we went to get it we got about 5 yds from it and it up and flew off with its insides hanging out. Tough, tough birds. I'm sure it didn't survive, but there's no way to track a flying turkey. I was planning on doing my spring turkey hunting with the bow this year, but now I'm not so sure.

I spent ~10 hours over 3 days to put myself into a position in a swamp that was right into the landing zone of about 100 canadians. There were plenty of mallards that kept giving my position up..hence the 3 days effort. Once the mallards spooked, it was game over as the geese would only circle and go off somewhere else to land. Once I figured out the correct path to take (..crawl..) in, I cut out a small opening in the cattails with my knife and lay them over the top, creating a small blind. Literally, this last step took over 3 hours as I could only move about a foot/min.. popped one just as landing in front of me. It went only 40 feet or so and slowly went to sleep. The water was waist deep, so waders were mandatory. If anyone wants to join me next year and loves the challenge of a tough stalk, let me know! It's the most fun I've had bowhunting.

Great job on those deer! I spent a TON of time this year up in a tree with nothing to show for it. Don't you make your own gear??

I'll go with you. Just let me know the time and place. The rest of this year is busy for me but next years early goose season is fine. A matter of fact I'm deer hunting this very minute with my nephew. I caught 2 shooter bucks on my trail cam last evening about 4:30. We are set up in a ground blind now hoping to see them again.

Its nice to see a young guy get into it early. It's pretty impressive to get his first bow buck at 12 :biggthump My son is 7 and sat in the ground blind with me a few times this year and we got a doe on one of them. It always amazes me that the young ones have the patience for it...I know I sure didn't at that age. Congratulations to both of you.

Sorry $trider,

He got it with a 20 gauge single shot shot gun at about 20 yards. He is dying to start bow hunting but can't quite pull back the 35 pounds required for bow hunting in NJ.

Its still a really good accomplishment, especially with a shotgun. We have the Lb restriction here too (for good reason) and it's pretty tough for most to pull that back so young.

JT, Big congrats for your nephew! He must be absolutely elated. :ices_ange Good to see other deer and geese photos, too.

It has been a very slow year for deer sightings for me in the hunting seasons. However, I managed to stalk and kill one whitetail in archery season using a 12th-15th century English longbow reproduction and a heavy ash arrow. I was able to get within 16 yards for the shot, shooting the arrow off my knuckle. A steady rain kept my footsteps quiet. Very cool, very intense.

Just a few days ago, I was able to stalk and kill another deer (big doe) with an 18th century PA longrifle repro. The flint went to frizzen, the black powder went bang, and the .440 patched round ball dropped it in its tracks. A good cut of venison is marinating now, in fact. I had just finished a new powderhorn the evening before the season began, so it was neat to put it to good use so quickly.

2009bbuck110-15-09017a.jpg

I often wonder, if only I would combine my passions of low tech bows with high tech snowboards, no mountain dwelling creature could escape me...then again I think things could get pretty bloody without ever releasing an arrow. Maybe I'll just enjoy them separately. :smashfrea

mvi_0120_3Archer.jpg

It's pretty cool to see more guys hunting with long bows and in your case an ancient one. Way to go on the stalk and taking that doe. The wind must have been just right in order for you to get 16 yards from that doe.

Hopefully all of you go to ECES and we can bs about hunting and snowboarding.

• 2 months later...

We see the wild life right on the suburban streets, in the broad light, on daily bassis.

Look at these guys - not even worried that I'm taking pics...

Other day someone shot a huge buck right in the street. The press was a riot!

post-1678-141842306957_thumb.jpg

post-1678-14184230696_thumb.jpg