Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2009-10

BlueB

First time on the hill in two months.

Olympic & Peak chairs were open. Screaming Eagle was closed (probably due to high winds, around 20 to 25 knots).

They had a little bit of new snow last night. Snow was heavy. I'm sure it's North Shore wet cement by now. Didn't hit any rocks. You have to stay on the groomers. Windy & wet.

Dynastar 3800 163 with soft boots.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lions & Easy Rider chairs are open. Groomed (I believe was done the day before) on almost main runs but fresh "kinda wet" snow abt 10-15 cm covered. Some part covered by "Elephant Snout" deep. Most all runs turns soft chop by 11AMish. Visibility was low and new kids on the block sit and chat :angryfirein the middle of the runs after the rollers :smashfrea drive me crazy.

Friday Ridin:

Undertaker 185. Too much expectation for pow:o

Tanker 192 + Snow Pro. Great board for this situation.

Met Rod after 1st run and he always dissapear :eek: into trees between Horizon and Humpty Dumpty and pop back half way down.

Dispite all limitation "It's all good to be back".

Snow still comin down and probably keep on going till Sunday :biggthump

Report from today Saturday at Cypress, anyone?

What about Grouse?

Cheers

RT

Wooo-Hooo!

Hill is in the best shape since December! Tons of snow recieved over the past few days, and still coming dow off and on, covered almost everything. Even Midaway and Rainbow, that were completelly stripped of the snow to make staches for Olympics ar in good condition now. Still a bit more needed on the super-steeps of Raven.

Morning was nice and sunny, good grooming of the last days fresh accounted for soft hero conditions. Not to much of the crowd, considering a sunny Sunday morning.

Carving crew consisted of Scooby, Yoshi and myself. Yoshi is still very enthusiastic about his hard setup and won't switch to softies even when his parents encourage him to do so.

Scooby's getting confidence again and is more or less over his sore ankle. I came back from several days of flu, but not too much of the shortage of the breath was experienced...

Toys of the day:

Scooby: WCRM177 with Vist and WCRM173W. He didn't seem to like the extra stifness in the midle of the board added by the Vist...

BlueB: KesslerBX168N and Proto167. In the supper grippy but soft snow, I was getting a bit worried for the nose of the Kessler. I had to remind myself not to intiate by nose diving - poor board is not designed to be ridden like that, anyways. Proto prooved again to be a really nice play board. I constantly try to ride it "bigger" then it wants to turn. No good on really steep pitch.

I did the final butchery of my Dalbellos, the night before. When I BTSed them, I didn't completelly remove the back parts of the inner "wings", just trimmed them a bit. That resulted in the boots that had flex from BTS and own plastic too. Now with the wings cut off, flex comes only from BTS. It is smoother and with more travel. Extreme colds should affect the flex less now. Way softer too, but I guess I can dial that a bit with the pre-load of the springs. I was able to stiffen the boot too by clamping more on the buckles.

While I found the mod just great on the flatter and medium pitches and for the slide and play modes, I am less then impressed on the steeps and hard carving. Again, preload on BTS should sort it out.

Around 2pm, I did something silly, don't know if it was a wipe-out or just a bad landing and a point up and to the medial side of my fron Achilles started hurting a lot. To the point that I got worried and called it a day. The pain was completelly gone shortly after. It sounded like an acute bruising? When I analyse my mod a bit, that's where the trim line of the "wing" is. Plastic is very thick ther, so after trimming it created a "step". It probably bruised my Achiles through the liner, when leg came in a strange position. I'll have to figure something out there...

Bluebird day, no crowds, very nice!

Softening frozen in the morning, but turning slushy even before lunch... Crappy conditions on Midway, but very nice on PGS! T33 of Sky Chair and Horizon of Lions looked good but we didn't go. Raven 1 looked crappy of the road (no go).

Toys of the day:

Scooby: WCRM 177 1st gen with Vist, WCRM 177 full carbon, Coiler Classic 179 metal.

Blueb: Kessler 171/22.5 with Kessler Risers, Nidecker Proto 167

Scooby seemed happiest on the WCRM full carbon...

New Kessler is a crazy board, designed with less taper then normal Kes creations. Holds the turn to completion way easier, sometimes even too hooky (soft snow). Wonderful freecarver, one of the best I've tried. Risers seem to work pretty well too.

I had a huge a weird wipe-out on the Nidecker. I was testing VERY soft plate bindings and ste them to very loose. Resulting lack of control caused the downhill edge catch, catapulting me into a backwards 180 flip (air involved), landing on my shoulders and back, bouncing of int another 180 airborne flip and landing into toe side carve. It knocked the living wind out of me... Retightening of the bindings resulted in good ride. Huge contrast to Kessler: Super light vs. heavy, livlely vs. damp, turny vs. stable...

We earned couple of good comments from softbooters and skiers.

On the way home, at our favorite coffee stop, we saw another "carver" (see pic) :D

Next ride on Sunday...

post-1678-141842309765_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842309768_thumb.jpg

All sorts of weather were experienced today... It started with rain, shifted towards rain at the lodge and snow just 100-200m up, then dry with fog and sun trying to get through and it ended with heavy snow, even few hundred meters below the resort...

Very small crowd, as you can imagine.

Snow was yummy "rain-compacted", fast and grippy. Later with the fresh wet coming down it became sticky... Midway and Rainbow are unrideable now, while Colins, Horizon, Upper Bowen, Humpty-Dumpty, PGS, Panorama, Fork and Easy Rider are ok. Humpty was the nicest, to me... Apparently runs of the Sky Chair are in really good condition, as they are getting snow constantly up there, but I didn't venture there.

Carving crew consisted of Scooby, BlueB (taking turns in between teaching), little Yoshi (who had another private alpine lesson today), young instructor Geoff (couldn't get into sequnce with us, testing his new Renntiger). Roy's young buddy Ben is our possible new convert to alpine, after seeing the power of the hard boots and learning that they can be used for many other things but carving ;)

Mountain will probably close after Easter Weekend, or earlier if conditions really sucked.

Bluebird day, no crowds, very nice!

Softening frozen in the morning, but turning slushy even before lunch... Crappy conditions on Midway, but very nice on PGS! T33 of Sky Chair and Horizon of Lions looked good but we didn't go. Raven 1 looked crappy of the road (no go).

Toys of the day:

Scooby: WCRM 177 1st gen with Vist, WCRM 177 full carbon, Coiler Classic 179 metal.

Blueb: Kessler 171/22.5 with Kessler Risers, Nidecker Proto 167

Scooby seemed happiest on the WCRM full carbon...

New Kessler is a crazy board, designed with less taper then normal Kes creations. Holds the turn to completion way easier, sometimes even too hooky (soft snow). Wonderful freecarver, one of the best I've tried. Risers seem to work pretty well too.

I had a huge a weird wipe-out on the Nidecker. I was testing VERY soft plate bindings and ste them to very loose. Resulting lack of control caused the downhill edge catch, catapulting me into a backwards 180 flip (air involved), landing on my shoulders and back, bouncing of int another 180 airborne flip and landing into toe side carve. It knocked the living wind out of me... Retightening of the bindings resulted in good ride. Huge contrast to Kessler: Super light vs. heavy, livlely vs. damp, turny vs. stable...

sweet "mama alabama" - RT and BlueB more pics please.

I was up there for a CASI session, it was my 1st time. Very nice mountain: 360 views, very pretty old forest on the way up, relaxed athmosphere, old mountain style lodge and out-buildings, cafeteria with a view... It was a warm bluebird day.

Runs are a bit flatter and narrower then on Cypress and chairs are slow. However, the snow is in better condition then Cypress! There are few sketchy spots on the lower runs, but mostly no loose pebbles anywhere else.

___

Cypress site is reporting light rain at the lodge and snow higher up, today.

Also, they stated on TV that they'll try to keep it open till the end of April, weather permitting. I can totally see it for the Sky Chair (tons of snow and still coming down), but run out will be tricky...

Screaming Eagle chair is uploading at mid-station due to lack of snow on the bottom half. Thus The Cut is unrideable, because the upper section is too shallow to get speed to do any carving.

Off Olympic chair, Peak and Heaven's Sake were open. At the junction between bottom of Lower Peak and Deliverance, look for a rock field. Also rocks at mid-Expo.

Snow was like a 7-Eleven Slurpee.

Ride of the day: Prior 4wd 169, F2 plates, UPZ RC10.

Just came back from skiing with Luka. Kid can make it down the Easy Rider, turning on his own! He falls a lot, but hey, we are free from the magic carpet and from daddy acting as support and brakes!

Very warm and slushy conditions. Lower runs are disaster. Snow line was visible on the trees at the level of the top of the Rainbow, so upper runs should be good. Couldn't go up there with the little one...

Scooby an me are heading there tomorrow, again.

I was up there for a CASI session, it was my 1st time. Very nice mountain: 360 views, very pretty old forest on the way up, relaxed athmosphere, old mountain style lodge and out-buildings, cafeteria with a view... It was a warm bluebird day.

Runs are a bit flatter and narrower then on Cypress and chairs are slow. However, the snow is in better condition then Cypress! There are few sketchy spots on the lower runs, but mostly no loose pebbles anywhere else.

___

Cypress site is reporting light rain at the lodge and snow higher up, today.

Also, they stated on TV that they'll try to keep it open till the end of April, weather permitting. I can totally see it for the Sky Chair (tons of snow and still coming down), but run out will be tricky...

Bro:biggthump:biggthump for keeping that Hard Boot ;) next 3 rd level:rolleyes:

Cheers

RT

It looked just like another rainy day in Vancouver, yet Scooby and me and few others that braved the weather, were rewarded by SNOW at the hill! I've got 1st tracks down Horizon, Humpty-Dumpty and mogul runs of Upper Bowen and Ripcord at Sky Chair! Upper mountain, especially around Sky Chair, has tons of snow. Lower mountain is more then sketchy...

Toys: Scooby, mostly Winterstick ST 173; BlueB, Proto 167

We met a Russian guy, Slava. Actually he chased us down to ask the questions - for few years he's been intrigued by Alpine! We shared a bit of info with him. Hw quickly decided to turn his softy stance forward to 30/15 and to slowly progress towards alpinish angles, then he'll try the plates on his big 171 freeride board.

Scooby took some pics in the low light. I'll see what I can do out of them then I'll post.

Olympic chair was late in opening, so had to make do with the upper half of The Cut (the bunny hill) for an hour. The Screaming Eagle chair is still at mid-station.

When the Olympic Chair opened around 10:00, there was 1 to 3 feet of fresh moderately dry pow waiting to be shredded. The hill was closed yesterday due to high winds (went windsurfing), which saved the snow.

Peak to Deliverance to Expo/ Centennial was the run of the day. Very foggy.

Today's ride: Dynastar 3800 163.

Just came back from skiing with my kid. Web site is not lying! There's about 50cm of fresh, pretty wet (at the lodge elevation) snow! All previously barren runs are covered and skiable now.

Forecast calls for below seasonal temps with very cold nights and precipitation, for another 2 weeks. We are in for a great spring season, let's just hope that the hill remains open!

Luka got clipped (on the tails of his skis only) by an out-of-controll snowboarder. I had a thumbling skier rolling over my skis, too. Crazy stuff, considering the empty hill...

There's about 50cm of fresh, pretty wet (at the lodge elevation) snow! All previously barren runs are covered and skiable now.

Forecast calls for below seasonal temps with very cold nights and precipitation, for another 2 weeks. We are in for a great spring season, let's just hope that the hill remains open!

Bro, Wednesday ridin?

Luka got clipped (on the tails of his skis only) by an out-of-controll snowboarder. I had a thumbling skier rolling over my skis, too. Crazy stuff, considering the empty hill..

I hope Luka is ok?

When the Olympic Chair opened around 10:00, there was 1 to 3 feet of fresh moderately dry pow waiting to be shredded. The hill was closed yesterday due to high winds (went windsurfing), which saved the snow.

Thanks for the report. Is all bare grades covered?

Cheers

RT