Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2009-10

BlueB

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to thread hijack, but Boris - or someone else - can you provide some details/specs on those Oxygen board?

Thanks,

Length Tip Waist Tail Scr Stance Taper

PROTON SL

149 24.4 19.5 24.4 8.5 36-52 1.5

156 25.9 20.5 25.9 8.5 37-53 1.5

160 25.4 20.5 25.4 10.0 37-53 2.0

PROTON GS

164 23.7 19.5 23.7 13.0 37-53 2.0

168 23.8 19.5 23.8 13.0 40-56 2.0

172 23.7 19.5 23.7 14.2 41-57 2.0

178 24.0 19.5 24.0 14.0 41-57 2.0

185 23.7 1 9.5 23.7 16.0 43-59 2.0

Cheers

Roy<!-- cg19.c2.mail.re1.yahoo.com compressed/chunked Thu Nov 19 23:15:54 PST 2009 -->

Yup, I teach every Sunday, but get lots of hours off.

I can bet that Scooby is in too!

Hey Boris and Scooby,

Unfortunately I can not make it tomorrow at Cypress,

Things came up and gotta do this Sunday to Friday.

And next week I'll be heading to Whistler for some coaching course, so maybe later Sunday?

Thank you guys for understanding.

No riding, but young Gabe poped-in for boot molding.

He was very worried that his new boot/liner combo was way too smal for his feet. When I added more foam and inserts to facilitate molding, the pain was close to excruciating. Then we were done, he relaxed his feet a bit and then hopped into the boots again... Man, I wish I had the camere handy! The look at his face was priceless, instant change from painfull grimasse to blisfull and a bit surprised face and simple "This is nice..." was greatest revard I could have. :D

Oh boy, what a day!

The 18cm overnight reported on Cypress site proved to be true (and more) and it kept dumping through the most of the day. Pretty wet, though. Crowd was small untill 11am and crazy after that. All runs around Lions Express, Miday and Easy rider are open now.

I hooked up with Rod the Softbooter, from the get go, and we went all over the show, bumps and steep trees included, untill 11:30.

Then I got called in to teach a 2hr lesson (I was supposed to be off all day). The guy progresses geat, right into linked turns and working to introduce some dynamics into it.

Scooby finally showed up towards the end of my lesson, so we carried on riding after that, untill 3:30pm, or so.

My only toy for the day (including teaching) was the new Kessle 168, narrow BX. Man, man, oh man! What a board! I never thought that so much float is possible on a 22.2cm wide alpine board! That rockered nose and teper really work miracles. I went through deep, chopped, heavy snow, trees (which I normally hate), crud groomers, steep bumps and board just asked for more! She is very agile in bumps and for "slarving", feels more like a 160. Damp and stable, cuts trough crud with ease, yet it would still pop of the snow when wanted. Very fast too and rides biger radius then one would expect. I wasn't pressing the nose much, though. I can't wait to try it for real carivng application, on hard pack or frozen cord!

post-1678-141842291444_thumb.jpg

Oh boy, what a day!

The 18cm overnight reported on Cypress site proved to be true (and more) and it kept dumping through the most of the day. Pretty wet, though. Crowd was small untill 11am and crazy after that. All runs around Lions Express, Miday and Easy rider are open now.

I hooked up with Rod the Softbooter, from the get go, and we went all over the show, bumps and steep trees included, untill 11:30.

Then I got called in to teach a 2hr lesson (I was supposed to be off all day). The guy progresses geat, right into linked turns and working to introduce some dynamics into it.

Scooby finally showed up towards the end of my lesson, so we carried on riding after that, untill 3:30pm, or so.

My only toy for the day (including teaching) was the new Kessle 168, narrow BX. Man, man, oh man! What a board! I never thought that so much float is possible on a 22.2cm wide alpine board! That rockered nose and teper really work miracles. I went through deep, chopped, heavy snow, trees (which I normally hate), crud groomers, steep bumps and board just asked for more! She is very agile in bumps and for "slarving", feels more like a 160. Damp and stable, cuts trough crud with ease, yet it would still pop of the snow when wanted. Very fast too and rides biger radius then one would expect. I wasn't pressing the nose much, though. I can't wait to try it for real carivng application, on hard pack or frozen cord!

you get that BX off ebay last season?

Luka's 1st ski outing for the season... In the light drizzle... But he was still in the good spirit. Remembered everything from the last year, except from the rudimentary "head first" turning - just wanted to bomb the slope... Ah well, we'll get there.

Funny thing, I got him some baby sized insoles, looking to improve the foot support and comfort. However, it seems they caused him excruciating pain!? Everything was fine again when I puled them out.

On his break, little monster managed to stop the Magic Carpet twice (that big red button is so tempting!). Luckilly, there was just another kid in the lessons, so we didn't cause too much of the hang-up.

Tomorrow's gonna be wet and warm, a bit better on Thursday, then dry and cold Friday and Saturday, snow returning on Sunday. Scooby and me are going again on Friday.

Instructoress Jessica is back for the season. She's fired up to give another go to the hard boots. I'll stick her to a bit narrower board this time.

You guys have no idea....

When Maya started snowboarding last season after being on skis for 5 years (yes, Boris and I started our kids sliding on snow at 2-3 years old), I actually convinced Ruwi to teach her for her first snowboarding lessons.

After her first session Ruwi came up to me and said,"Most first time snowboarding students want to take things very slowly, except your daughter. All she wants to do is crouch down low, bomb fast into a tight bottom turn and then crash into the nearest snowbank..."

That's my kid....

Sun has shown it's face after many days of rain. Hill lost at least 20cm of snow over last 48hrs... This morning was really cold, maybe -5C or so, but warming up rapidelly and some fog rolling in after lunch. Mornig gave us the famous Cypress frozen cord - nice for testing new boards and ripping the clothes... Later it softened up a lot, almost to pulp (but carvable) on the busy Rainbow, an to nice hero surface on the empty Midway. We rode both with equal enthusiasm. Roy took couple of spectacular pics of the low fog rolling in, he'll probably post them later...

I brought the Kessler BX 168 and Elan Ballistic 171 to the hill. Very happy with both rides.

Kessler rode like a champ again and proved itself the true all-rounder. No preblems holding the edge on nasty frozen stuff. Variable shape turn, great acceleration out of the turns (boy, is she fast!). Easy initiation, sometimes almost too much in heavier snow. Nice handling of chopped up snow and tracking over irregularities on hard pack. Also, it can EC really well on the steeps! One has to concentrate a bit on turn finishing if full C shape is required. Big taper can be a bit funny for switch riding, but not major issue. I would have parked her in the instructors shead, to be at the mountain all the time, if I could go over leaving a 1600 worh of equipment unatended for days at the time... I'm going to ride this baby a lot this year.

Ballistic is a great ride too. She's snappy, has great edge hold (more then Kessler on hard pack), and agillity edge to edge (18 at the waist). I wouldn't hessitate to ride it on shear ice... While it feels really stiff on hand flex, it rides way softer then expected. Softer and quiter then Roy's little 163, but I would have to ride them back-to-back to really tel. Pop was way less then I was expecting. I probably need to ride it more to unleash the tail deamons and get some air in the transitions. On the steeps it allows those "falling over the nose and downhill before the board" transitions. Those seemed to be quite entertaining, not only to me, but to the people on the chair too!

Tomorrow I'll be on skis, teaching Luka (if no rain). Roy will be with couple of softbooting buddies, tryin to show them the power of hard setup.

Yo Boris,

Maya and I went up to Grouse and met Ruwi this afternoon for our first day of the season.

Maya was on skis and Ruwi was on what looked like a Burton Ultraprime 166, and I was on a Winerstick Cirque BX board. Freezing level was 4100 ft so it was coming down as wet snot, with limited visibility, but we managed to get a couple of hours in before retreating back to the lodge to dry out our gloves and mitts.

Snowpack feels halfway decent, and Ruwi and I will be heading back tomorrow before lunch....

Geo

Donek baby GS and Kessler BX in our, already a trademark by now, "V" formation.

"River" of clouds flowing between the 2 peaks of Cypress. We are sitting on the drop into the Rainbow. The start of the Olympic PGS run is visible on the top right.

post-1678-141842292124_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842292127_thumb.jpg

Soggy and foggy day at the hill... Limited number of people, but still enough to make green runs dangerous. On the super wide Midway one could literally get lost for for a few moments.

Very light rain was on and off all day... Quite a few brown spots showing on flatter runs, few pebbles on steeper stuff and nasty holes on the very steep and off-piste stuff...

I had 2 hour lesson with 7 never-evers and a rookie instructor who needed to learn how to teach. Managed to pull of teaching on plates and freeride board (sweeeeet!). Some of the students shown envy to the ease of clipping into my bindings :D and asked where to get those!

Roy enjoyed his WInterstick ST 173 and Tanker 192.

I brought the Kes BX but didn't dare to ride it in marginal conditions and low vis. Instead I spent all day on Steep 164 and loved it. The 171 was already at the shed and I planed to compare them back to back, but I had too much fun on the shorty. They carve more or less the same, but smaller one has a lot more agillity in the bumps and for teaching. However, the lack of length causes smaller sweet spot and less cushy ride in chop and mini bumps on blue/green slopes.

No photos for the day, for obvious reasons...

Start at 9AM. Hero Groomed. NO LINE UP yet at the lift line and stay that way for almost 2 hours.

Took 2 potential carvers: Ben, Dynastar-163 softbooter luv doing straight line, potential to brain wash into carving. Gary, Head Ski-163 1 st day back to skiing after 15 yrs. Giving another 2 week & no choice but into Dynastar -163, plate binding attached just have to switch from ski to alpine:eplus2:

Cheers

Roy

4 days = 15 Hrs

post-6136-141842292541_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

My friends visit Cypress the other day and met one of you I guess.

I has F2 and I am teaching him this year. He mentioned about the guy talked about bomber and teaches @ Cypress.

I teach @ Grouse and I think I know Roy? I saw him couple times on the Mt. and we talked couple times @ Snow school and hope to see you again @ Grouse for carving. Tai always mentioned about you. I teach couple of my friends plate this year and hopefully we get more local carvers in town. I will visit Cypress sometime and hope to c u guys up there.

Hey guys,

My friends visit Cypress the other day and met one of you I guess.

I has F2 and I am teaching him this year. He mentioned about the guy talked about bomber and teaches @ Cypress.

I teach @ Grouse and I think I know Roy? I saw him couple times on the Mt. and we talked couple times @ Snow school and hope to see you again @ Grouse for carving. Tai always mentioned about you. I teach couple of my friends plate this year and hopefully we get more local carvers in town. I will visit Cypress sometime and hope to c u guys up there.

Glad you found us here and the slope but I think you probably spoke to Boris a.k.a BlueB if it was in the snow school.

image.php?u=1678&dateline=1234907110

Anyway you most probably find us Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun and we like to start early:biggthump and done by 2 or 3PM :freak3: :freak3:.

C ya soon on the slope

Roy

Hey! You met me, Boris, other day. Looking forward to ride with you again. I teach every Sunday.

At Grouse you met Ruwi.

Your friend complained that he can not find the gear... Talk to me and Roy (CarvingScooby), we'll work something out.