Note to New Members ×

Any thoughts on the Rossi Judge for pow days etc ...

queequeg

I just picked up a Rossi Judge 168 at a snowboard swap, basically totally unused for about $135. I've been wanting a board for pow days and other situations where I might do better with something wider, softer and shorter (like, riding in the trees). What are people's thoughts on this board? I think I've seen it mentioned before. It is Quite wide, has a big scoopy nose and a very slight swallowtail. It has very little taper but a ton of setback. It seems firmer flexing than your average softie board and doesn't have a super deep sidecut so I would imagine that it is somewhat carveable.

I have a pair of softies and softboot bindings I could put on it, but I wonder if I could get away with riding it in hardboots, if I swap out the springs to be super soft. Any thoughts? Here's a pic:

post-2204-141842289734_thumb.jpg

I've always used plates on powder boards & twins. Soften up your boot flex & shred the trees. Haven't ridden the judge myself but the atomic split tail was similar and did everything well. just don't push it like you would an alpine stick and you'll love it.:biggthump

PS well rounded quiver

John Gilmour...

He rips the mountain and carves up a storm on that (based on pictures i've seen and according to other riders here).

Anyway, at $135, that's quite a steal. It should make a pretty good softboot all mountain board. I'm not too sure how it'd fair with plates.

Gilmour was using Burton boots and some Union bindings on his.

I'm surprised more guys on bomber don't use plates on free ride boards. The TD3s distribute the forces pretty well if your not carving it really hard. If your worried about cracking the board, a $10 poly cutting board from walmart makes a great distribution plate. If you like the flex of deforming lace up shells by all means, phok with the straps and surf away.

Thanks Guys - I guess I'll experiment. Good to know I can probably get away with plates. It would be convenient to be able to ride it in hardboots but seeing as how that would require purchasing a new set of bindings (and that I have a pair of softies and binders I can mount to it with no additional cost) I will probably see if I can deal with mounting it in softies until I can find a cheap pair of plates I can drop into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jose, remember that day we were spring ridding in complete corn and soft crud up on the backside of Widow Whites?

If U had this board with you on that day youda loved it :)

I have not had the chance to ride one of these (despite being a rozzi fan) but I would think it has the typical poplar wood core and a good bit of response to it.

You should be able to "scoop" turns with the shovel-nose and work the front foot with a tweek ( lateral flex down the centerline) and have it be wonderfull in the trees with snappy turns that pop you up and out of the snow as the narrow back will follow with ease.

:biggthump

as well as a I LOVE it in the POW comment.

Thanks Sailer - That's good news, I honestly can't see this board getting any action outside of deep pow-days or backcountry riding so I'm not concerned with its carving performance, but I'm psyched to hear it will perform in the pow.