Note to New Members ×

Which Carving Boards Hold The Best Edge?

Edtudo

Edtudo, enjoy your Swoard, its a great ride. :biggthump You'll be surpirsed though how different it is from your narrow skwal.

As for the Virus videos on Youtube, most of those riders ride very narrow boards (almost like your Skwal), that is why they look completely different than the Swoard guys on their vids. Actually many of them ride in a similarily compressed body position as you do.

As for the Swoard videos, Patrice and Jacques from Swoard are amazing funcarvers, most probably the best I've seen. I think they have done a lot for this sport with their videos. Try to get their latest one called 'Carved'. The rest of their vids is here: http://extremecarving.com/movies/movies.html

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,

I kind of got lazy with the Skwal and just rode it because I had it. I've been skiiing alot (Fischer skis).

I didn't get motivated to get back into snow surf carving until I saw the Swoard videos on youtube. I had no idea these guys existed.

I've ridden wide boards before. I used to ride Rossignol once upon a time the San Juans in Southern Colorado

18026640_LK5po-L.jpg

If we ever cross paths I'll let you give my Coiler 172 All Mountain Titanal a go. The only issue would be it's built for me at ~180lbs. Every board may have it's purpose but this board does it all. A true quiver killer.

I demo'd a few boards at SES 09 and nothing really jumped out at me after owning the Coiler AM-T. There was a Virus 158 SL that I really got into though. :1luvu:

Jack Mentioned cost and how it can affect quality materials, which in turn would affect edge hold, hard to disagree with this.

Tex1230 and Philfel mentioned how proper technique and a good rider affected edge hold, I couldn’t agree more; although what is proper technique could be debated until the second coming!

Flex. No one directly mentioned how matching a boards’ flex to a riders’ body weight would affect edge hold.

Dave* indirectly mentioned this when he discussed a Prior board that suited him perfectly:

came out of the mold with a flex just right for a 200 plus pounder

Dave* also indirectly discussed flex when he mentioned a Swoard that he felt was too soft for his taste.

We have one local guy who has a 3-4 year old Swoard, he has no issues with his riding style, I have given it the flex test and think I could ride it okay but would have to stay very centered or I would be paying for a very expensive broken board

Ideally a guy could have multiple custom boards build by board builder of your choice, eventually arriving at the perfect flex for a riders weight, ability and taste.

The fact that Swoard builds 12 variations of a single factory production board speak volumes on the importance of flex, rider weight and how it affects edge hold.

post-215-141842287188_thumb.gif

ACE, I have to say the first time I saw the Caspercarver pic last season my jaw hit the floor. seriously one of the most dynamic pics of all time. Really puts the "extreme" sense that words can not expain to people about what can be done on a "carver".

BlueB, I may indeed be interested in your friends board.

Im mondo 32, 6'2 tall, 155# guy, around 170# with all my gear on. I think a Medium flex will suit my ride style and would be very comfortable on a 168 board.

Any interest in partial trade for a 190 Rozzi WC that was previously owned by the "second greatest* athlete in the world" ?

I could offer some $ with it for a swoard.

LMK.

PM/ Email me if its a possability.

* Boardy. :eplus2:

Actualy seeing them do this on video, (in europe prisitne primo conditions) is expected, However also having seen Pryssmtek @ Windham 2 seasons ago do EC on a Swoard on ICE was utter awesomness.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of riding with Patrice, in Kelowna and Vernon, when he visited Canada. We stayed at my friends who live in Kelowna; during the chair lift rides, evenings visits and e-mails many alpine topics were discussed.

One of the topics mentioned was the misconception that the Swoard movies are filmed on ‘Hero’ snow, this couldn’t be further from the truth. It was explained to me, first hand, that in all the Swoard movies, there were a lot of icy snow conditions; despite the fact that the camera isn’t able to convey whether the slopes are hard ice or soft snow. The example given to me was watching world cup ski races ride on a sheet of pure ice; when watching on TV it is very difficult to clearly see the snow conditions.

The movie Stoked was made on some of the hardest snow conditions Jacques and Partice had seen on their slopes. Stoked was filmed between the middle to end of March, during this time they had received no new snow for a full two months! The snow conditions during the filming of Stoked were so hard and icy that the grooming machines were unable to flatten out the slopes, leaving them with a long wavy surface that was quite difficult to fully lay out a turn.

I have to say was a pleasure to watch, in person, the edge hold when a skilled rider with great technique were combined with a well designed board with the correct flex.:D

Cheers

Rob

I've been showing those Swoard youtube videos to all my friends here in the southwest Colorado region and they all have the same reaction, they are extremely impressed. Even my hardcore freestyle friends who think "carving" is lame- stop in their tracks...

meteor.jpg

I was in Zinal in 2005 visiting J&P.

Before hitting the snow, they told me the conditions were going to be "great".

From Tahoe standards, it was so-so to average (sorry Swiss boys, we have better conditions here in Tahoe...hehehe).

At times, it was hard snow, similar to the conditions in Montreal when I lived there and both J&P were at ease and carved hard.

The only time I did not see Patrice carve was when we hit this slope because on that day it was blue ice under a thin layer of snow.

During dinner, I remembered Jacques mentioning about the very icy conditions they had during the film Stoked.

Overall Zinal is a fantastic mountain for carving. Too bad it is not located in Tahoe....:biggthump:)

Peter

Hello Edtudo

I've been showing those Swoard youtube videos to all my friends here in the southwest Colorado region and they all have the same reaction, they are extremely impressed. Even my hardcore freestyle friends who think "carving" is lame- stop in their tracks...

Thank you for sharing this Edtudo!

For some time many members on this forum have discussed ways to promote and grow our sport of Alpine Snowboarding. IMHO the Swoard team deserves a lot of credit for doing just that, inspiring new comers and veterans alike.

A person needs to be brave and thick skinned to put themselves out there, as the Swoard guys have done, with videos and a forum that leaves your ideas exposed for all to critique, criticize and debate. As time moves forward the Swoard videos continue to promote alpine, bringing new people to hard boots. I feel that we are lucky the Swoard guys decided to put their ideas out for all to see.

Some of these newly inspired riders will end up becoming racers, other ECers, others perhaps both. Some of these riders will by a Prior, others a Coiler, a Virus, a Donek a Swoard or maybe one of each, regardless it is good for Alpine overall.

Jacques and Patrice are modest and passionate guys that hold down day jobs and juggle the demands of a busy family. I sincerely hope they continue to have the time and energy to put out new movies and equipment that inspire others to do the same.

Cheers

Rob