Note to New Members ×

Winter camping skills

Loc

Anyone knowledgeable with winter wilderness skills willing to teach me for beers and/or booze? :eplus2:

I figure I can practice the basics by snow camping around the Sierra resorts. Then work my way up the skills ladder with backcountry touring and avalanche clinics. I'd love to try skiing or splitboarding the route from Mammoth to June with someone who knows what they're doing.

You burn a lot of energy to stay warm, so my number on rule for winter camping is to make sure I'm getting plenty of calories, especially when I'm getting ready for bed. My personal favorite is the NOLS trick of adding butter to your late night hot chocolate- tastes great, warms you up, and keeps you warm all night.

Loc,

It may require more time than you willing to commit, but you might consider the Wilderness Travel Course given by the Los Angeles Sierra Club. One of the things extensively covered is snow camping/backpacking, but I don't know if you can elect to do only that portion.

John

http://www.wildernesstravelcourse.org