how safe is this?

west carven

howdy philfell

riding the sidecut is what free carve is all about. turning the cleanest

carve. i am not a racer. i try hard not to force a turn, just let the board

do its thing. a narrow stance on a thicker/stiffer board lets me carver it

to its limit without losing control.

west carven

Turning the cleanest line in the snow is the ultimate point in free carving AND racing.

If you never "force" a turn you are never riding the board to it's limit.

Everyone has different opinions and reason why they ride hardboots and that is part of what makes the sport awesome.

I've just seen many guys who label themselves as freecarvers, and ride what I would consider a stance too narrow from them. At some point they end up in the woods or have a bad collision because they are so locked in the turn that they can't get out of the turn. This is because they are riding the same stance they rode on thier 162 from 1998.

It's cool you are going to try a wider stance 18.5 is by no means extreme in width and will give you a ton more control and take away very little in terms of your ability to carve clean lines in the snow.

Bruce puts his inserts in the place he put them for a reason.

It's funny, Bruce makes great boards that are VERY well thought out. They seem to get praise by everyone who rides them, and it's hard to find anyone here who has had a bad experience with one......So you are trying to set up your board against the recommendations of both the BINDING manufacture and the BOARD builder because you can't fit the stance YOU want on it......It seems to me that the boards inserts are not the issue. You should probably re-look at your set up and question why you feel you should be going so far to an extreme that you need to set stuff up wrong so that your set up can be "right" in your mind.

Pretty much every girl I've coached runs a wider stance than 17.25, and some of them are much shorter then 5' 6". Go out to at LEAST 18.5. With a board that big and a stance that narrow it's very hard to control the size of the turn. You are basically just tipping the board on edge and letting the side cut take you around.....You are not controlling the board it is controlling you at that point.

what he said.

I ride a 22 to 23 inch stance and love the control I get with it... yep was narrow Years ago... but not any more.. usually a 6 degree back with a 3 degree toe lift on long boards ... I drop the toe on short boards. with both the lifts I go 23 and with out toe I go to 22 since since with no toe its not bringing my feet together.. its a feeling type of thing. I try to get others to go wider, they do like it at first then after a while they end up adjusting all the boards to go a bit wider than what they used to.. usually 18 to 19 and always try to get them to try wider.. what the heck you can always put it back..

Then again Im the worst on the slope tinker than anyone.. eh Jack!! Mellow,,, ahaha,,:smashfrea

RSS