Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Reports 2009-2010

www.oldsnowboards.com

Mobile update .... Snowing hard at mhm with 2 " new by 11am . Looking good for tomorrow ! Everythings nice and soft and I am liking riding skiis today with my daughter !

Jim

Excellent Jim!! Have fun, lets hope it stays cool!! There are supposed to be a couple of dry days coming up.

Thanks for the MOBILE update, we are on to something here :eplus2::1luvu::biggthump

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really ducked a bullet!~ Report of 32F at 5:30AM. Could have turned to rain. Instead we had a pretty nice day, those that came expecting 14" of dry pow may not have been too happy. Me? Headhunter time!! 6-10" over at Shooting Star. Some wind blown and a crust in there somewhere made for some challenges for the skiers. Perfect testing ground for my new "Tweener" snowboard. It really worked well. Fast in the fresh snow, turns quickly yet can gain serious speed in a hurry. Granted I am heavier than this board was made for, it acts like it is rockered, and according to those that have seem me ride it, that is what it looks like. The soft nose really rises in the snow nice. Yet I can carve pretty hard on the soft groomers. The trick is not to let it start "closing" on the turn. Board getting bent tighter and tighter which adds even more pressure to it and I end up pressing forward and making matters worse. I checked to see if there was any camber left at the end of the day and it appears to be the same as when I started. :biggthump This board is an excellent canidate for Snow-Stix and possibly a plate.

Photos to come.

Saw a number of alpine riders today. Perhaps I should say folks riding plate bindings and hard boots. Some had freestyle boards. A band of three from Hood River, saw Jim from the chair lift, another single at SS. That is at least 5 plus myself.

Parking lot was FULL when I left at 1PM, a very busy non holiday Monday for sure. Allot of folks anxious to get some freshies.

Parking lot, sun tease

First chair Mt Hood Express

Shooting Star lift line after 3 runs!

post-198-141842299786_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842299789_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842299792_thumb.jpg

Wanted to go this morning, but I was having some crazy back pain/issues. Anyway, going tomorrow no matter what. Cascade may be open early with some nice surprises. Hope to see some of you there.

Dan:eplus2:

Sorry to hear about the back pain. I am going to watch the weather and decide in the am. As long as it stays cold we should have some great groomers over the next couple days.

Hey Bryan you looked great carving up the powder off vista . The headhunter looks like a go to board ! It's funny I was riding the silvertanker today and heard a group of softbooters grumbling about about the @ss that chewed there heads off after bumping your board ! I had to laugh ! They remembered the first day we rode them . I rode up with the group of 3 on older gear you talked about . I was just behind you a little on vista and tried to catch you but your so fast ! Call in the am if you go up . I am on the fence also .

Jim

Cool! How did it ride with the crust layer? I could barely feel it , but I could hear it as the Headhunter ripped through it.

Yep. Another reason I don't care for busy days. It is allot like tail gaters, except they don't normally hit you 3 or 4 times while standing in line. Started the day with one chip , now I have 4. It is so common, another example of folks not respecting other's property. I always ask politely "Please don't hit my board" , oh well. You do what you can and not let it effect the fun. It was a fun day. The board worked well.

I was riding up with a couple guys on Vista. I saw you towards the bottom and gave out a hoot. The guy sitting to my left said "I knew you knew him" smiling real big. You were carving smooth quick turns. I thought to myself. "What is he on?" I thought maybe you chose the Volkl, even though I didn't think that sounded right. You were making nice alpine turns.

I will call if I go up.

"Tigger" was one of the guys name. (in red) I invited them to visit BOL forum. I hope they do.

You should try the Headhunter. I think you would really dig it. Carve better than the Tankers on soft groomed and rides the fresh pretty good. Not as good as the Tanker though. It is fast!!!

Made it up today and had some great runs off of Cascade. There was a little crust up top, but my Rossignol seemed to handle it just fine. Got tracked out really fast though. Does anyone work anymore?? Have had really flat or no light the last four times up. Kinda getting tired of that challenge. Saw Jim one time and gave him a yell, but don't think he heard me.

May have to look for another powder board. Need something a little longer and more stable in the bumps.

Next day up should be Thursday. Hope it stays cold.

Cool Dan!! So your back is doing good?

When I saw "Fog" I let my aching body go back to sleep. Plan to hit it Wednesday. I too have had my fill of super flat light. Note to self; Ask Mike for my goggles back :p His look cooler, I think mine are better in the flat light.

Looks like Wednesday might be our best chance for a clear day this week?

Vist plate just arrived, looking to try it on one of the boards. Maybe Wed if I can make up my mind and get it mounted.

Mobile update /clear skies!

Soft groomers

Above was from my Droid in the parking lot. Tried to update from the chairlift, however, between brain storming with Mike , the BRIGHT sunshine and catching my breath, no updates occurred :eplus2::biggthump:1luvu:

To make up for that, here are a couple photos:

post-198-141842300435_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842300438_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842300441_thumb.jpg

Mobile update /clear skies!

Soft groomers

Sorry I am a little late . Tuesday .. A little foggy at the bottom but sunny at the top. Opened Cascade and upper Heather . Nice riding at the top with changing snow as you go lower with a crust layer but no problems while on a board.

Should be great grommers all week. Have fun Bryan and be safe :D

post-219-141842300332_thumb.jpg

post-219-141842300335_thumb.jpg

post-219-141842300337_thumb.jpg

You Thursday riders should get some awesome groomers. On Wednesday the upper mountain groomers were really soft, too soft for me to push very hard, concern of stuffing and leaving 4-6" trenches put us back on SS and Vista for the most part. Had a great time!! Did find that the heaviest traveled runs end up mega death cubes. They looked like big ole ice cubes everwhere?? Fortunately that condition was limited to some of the runs we only travel through to get to the good stuff.

I rode from first chair straight though till 2PM. Another great day. Tried out the Vist plate on the Tinkler "Identity" model.

Pictures:

The tools of choice on this day

Me getting ready to rip SS again

Mike getting ready to rip Stadium!! Last run!!

post-198-14184230043_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842300431_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842300433_thumb.jpg

Sorry I am a little late . Tuesday .. A little foggy at the bottom but sunny at the top. Opened Cascade and upper Heather . Nice riding at the top with changing snow as you go lower with a crust layer but no problems while on a board.

Should be great grommers all week. Have fun Bryan and be safe :D

Thanks Jim, Heather looked SWEET!! Glad you got some!!

Another great day on the hill. Did most of my riding on shooting star and vista. The snow conditions for carvin have been truly great these last couple weeks. Can't say that my riding was where I wanted it to be today. I seem to do better when I have other carvers around me. Anyway, didn't see any other carvers on the mountain today. Guess everyone likes Mondays and Wednesdays.

Thinking that I want to move my front binding more forward to improve my heelside turns. Does anyone have the magic #? I am around 64 degrees now and it feels just a bit off.

Thanks and good carvin,

I typically will not go on Saturday and Sunday's have started to look allot like Saturdays this past couple seasons. So, this season I have not gone on a Sunday. Yesterday I HAD to go, personal reasons :eplus2::1luvu:

As a result I was treated to a fine Sunny day!! It was heavy mist all the way from Portland, dark and gray. At the access road turn off the mountain broke out of the clouds and it was gorgeous all day!!

Photos

Breezeway view :biggthump

Parking lot / huge bus space taking MY front row spot!!!!!:angryfire

post-198-141842301281_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842301284_thumb.jpg

Reported 7" of new. Sunshine, soft groomers and fresh snow over some icy crud. Makings of a perfect "Tweener" board day. ????? Meaning ???

Somewhere "Between" a firm carver and a big pow day. The Headhunter 200cm worked well. Dan and Jim where up taking advantage of it.

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1342119399808" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1342119399808" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

Photos:

Heather Canyon Upper

Heather Canyon Lower/ Avy Debri Depo. in run-out.

Pow path left by Headhunter 200cm

post-198-141842301319_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842301322_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842301326_thumb.jpg

Yeah, testing a Mike's secret I guess.....:eplus2:

Nice vid Bryan, love the surroundings.

Good guess Hans, I wish. It was a pretty soft groomer day and I did have a few things to test. I have a couple boards mounted up with the VIST plate, working on the placement and style of plate for the Headhunter, Carving skis with snow-stix front and back. Etc.

Mike is currently on a short road trip working with the Olympic PGS riders and their Tinkler Plates.