Note to New Members ×

Best GPS for Skitrak?

Fastskiguy

having a geography fetish myself, I like this idea. I have a magellan triton 500 but I find lots of software is not compatible with the new magellans, only the old serial cable ones. I would not recomend buying this gps as most of the features that it is supposed to do are not working with the latest version of firmware and it is not compatible with alot of aftermarket software.. I use it because I can put satelite maps on it and it helps me navigate the fire roads in the backcountry.

What about the iPhone? There's tons of GPS apps for that thing. SkiTrak allows GPX file imports so any app that exports GPX files should work... and I wouldn't be surprised if SkiTrak comes out with their own app before too long.

It's a great idea and I'm a mac fan but you have to use stinky AT&T and when I call my friends on iPhones the sound quality is so terrible I can't imagine living that way.

I want to use the device I want on the network I want! But that's a discussion for another day.

Dang good idea tho, thanks :)

Hmmm. I have the HTC Tilt on AT&T. The quality isn't so bad. I've heard complaints that it's actually 1st gen iPhones that have bad call quality (something about the antenna design) whereas BlackBerries are supposed to have the best call quality. My wife has a 2nd gen (3G) iPhone and I hear no complaints from her... a rarity.

Maybe the 3G S is worth another look. Otherwise, I like the Garmin 601/701 GPS units, but I've been looking at them as bike computers, not ski trackers.

Hmmm. I have the HTC Tilt on AT&T. The quality isn't so bad. I've heard complaints that it's actually 1st gen iPhones that have bad call quality (something about the antenna design) whereas BlackBerries are supposed to have the best call quality. My wife has a 2nd gen (3G) iPhone and I hear no complaints from her... a rarity.

Maybe the 3G S is worth another look. Otherwise, I like the Garmin 601/701 GPS units, but I've been looking at them as bike computers, not ski trackers.

My buddy has a 3G S and I can't stand to talk to him. But it's an "N" of one so maybe....maybe....but I'm still not sure if I can stand stinky ATT....but I'll listen to one next time I'm near the apple store, sounds like a good plan.

Now combining a bike computer and something to track my vertical snowboarding....that would be perfect.... <runs off to look up garmin 601/701> :)

Yeah, 705. I don't know how I'd attach it. Maybe velcro strap over my upper sleeve. Doesn't matter because I can't afford it.

Go to www.mapmyride.com. Their site is a bit archaic, but they have an app for the iPhone as a bike computer and a mount to put it on your handlebars. It's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a BlueTooth cadence/speed/power sensor and the iPhone will be all you need.

Yeah, 705. I don't know how I'd attach it. Maybe velcro strap over my upper sleeve. Doesn't matter because I can't afford it.

Go to www.mapmyride.com. Their site is a bit archaic, but they have an app for the iPhone as a bike computer and a mount to put it on your handlebars. It's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a BlueTooth cadence/speed/power sensor and the iPhone will be all you need.

I almost bought a 705 this summer....it's an intriguing idea. A little big and pricey....but plenty capable too....

Most GPS units update your position once a second. Some GPS dataloggers are available that update 5 times a second. These would be better on the slopes. Only the most recent units use the so called SIRF chipset that looks for all the satelites at once. this low power comsupmtion chipset is super sensitive so you can look through the trees (whitefish). All in all i fool around with my eTrex Legend unit (Garmin) on the snow but the data is not all that interesting. Regards, Bob

My buddy with the crappy att reception called from a 3g area today and the quality was really good. So maybe. Still..I just want a nice over the coat on my arm wearable gps thing to track my snowboarding. Anybody doing this?

I have a Garmin eTrex Venture HC gps that I use with Snow Ranger, which has a pretty detailed map of pretty much every major resort in the country (and you can buy one for Europe also). You can upload your days and see a run by run breakdown of your day. I don't think it's as detailed as Skitrak, but it does have speed, elevation, time, and what runs you were on.

As for over the coat or wearable, it probably won't work unless its a pretty warm day. Having it in my outside chest pocket of my shell, it would sometimes randomly turn off, so I started putting it in my fleece under my shell so it would stay warm enough so the batteries wouldn't die.

• 3 months later...

Hey Brad! It actually *does* show the little hike up to check on the wounded LOL. Turns out he had a single break to the collarbone, they said it should heal pretty fast. He was in a fair bit of distress on the drive to the ER but the big ol' shot of opioid helped out a lot.

I'm not sure of the time intervals it records.....but it seemed to catch some individual turns on some runs (you can see'em best on gun barrel) so it's got to be pretty fast.

The hike is circled on the elevation profile....

post-3210-141842296873_thumb.jpg