Note to New Members ×

New softie setup for the winter.

Jrobb

I'm having a hard time getting set on what my new softie setup (boardwise) will be this year.

I've got a 168 Renntiger and a Tanker 192 for hardbooting....but I do a lot of my riding with friends who like to explore and the RT is not that great off groom and the Tanker is too big to have fun through trees.

I ride in Tahoe, variety of spots and the board I'm looking for will do everything, natural jumps, a run or two through the park, switch riding, powder and tree runs and of course it will carve if on the groom. I am trying to decide between a Demo Prior 172 MFR, an 07-08 Tanker 187, an 08-09 Tanker 177, or a Donek Sasquatch.

I just got some Malamutes size 12 that are 1/2"-3/4" shorter sole than my previous Dialogues. I need at least 26 width and I'd like a scr of 9+. I want some setback and taper to make it through pow better.

I really want a wide 170ish size and don't have a lot of cash to do it.

The Tankers have the taper and weight I like but an 08-09 177 I saw I'm not crazy about the graphics.

The MFR is the right size, best price but is stiff and doesn't have quite the taper I'd like. I don't mind stiff but with less taper I'm afraid the pow performance will burn my back leg out.

The Sasquatch seems to have widths either on my small end or more than I really need,price ok , and not the amount of taper I'd like, but I'm not sure how much extra for a 27cm Sasquatch 170...I need to send an email I guess.

Someone here has ridden one or all of these I'm sure. Any insight to confirm or debunk my skepticisims?

thanks

J

Dynastar / OSin 3800 169. 9.5 scr, 25.6 w, 5 taper, big soft pow nose, stif tail, carves good, nimble in trees, rulles the bumps and cheap enough!

There are quite a few 163s floating around, but that might be a bit small for you...

Steepwater Plow 172. I have the Steep for my baby feet, that thing is just great in all conditions. It's stiff, though.

Elan Vertigo 168, if you can find one. 25.8 w, nice big gentle rise nose, some titanal inside, 3d top sheet geometry. It rails better then 3800, but the 3800 is better in pow... My last year's faw softboot board.

I've got a FR 171 Salomon 400LT, ridden once, excellent shape, 25+cm waist for $100 +shipping. Also have Flow XL Pro-S bindings or Amp S, new, in plastic for $60 shipped. If you'd like some pics, I'll email to you rather than deal w/ photos not posting here. I have a post in the For Sale link w/ descriptions of available boards. Also have a 166 that was ridden once which would also be nice for your needs. $100 + the ride as well.

"You're my boy Blue!"

I'll consider those

forgot to add, I'm 6'3" 205 and want a 170 size for the edge length 131cm+

J

tanker 177 blows the doors off a donek sasquatch, the sasquatch is sort of a 1 trick pony and that one trick is cruising at moderate to high speeds where as the tanker 177 does that, and anything else most people will ask of a softboot setup really well.

of the whole tanker line the 177 is the best if you need a wide waste like me

tanker 177 blows the doors off a donek sasquatch, the sasquatch is sort of a 1 trick pony and that one trick is cruising at moderate to high speeds where as the tanker 177 does that, and anything else most people will ask of a softboot setup really well.

of the whole tanker line the 177 is the best if you need a wide waste like me

Thanks Bob,

Any idea of it compared to a MFR

J

Thanks Bob,

Any idea of it compared to a MFR

J

nope not really, the closest thing to them are the wide never summer decks from the early 2000s vintage except the never summers were heavier, damper and much more rugged. all of which are fine other than the weight but even that was only a issue on the lift or hiking. the never summer boards did ride very different than tankers of similar vintage but the same guy (me) loved both boards. tankers tend to feel smaller than they are and don't hold a edge that great on ice but are otherwise awesome do it all boards in their smaller sizes. the 177 tanker was probably the softboot board I was most comfortable on of all the decks I've had. from carving with hardbooters in MA to rippin' trees in VT, dropping into wind packed crud in CO and steep ass chutes in CA.

BTW, lib tech skunk apes are a option, have not ridden one but those who I've talked to are saying they rock, better than the older long libs techs I hear.