Note to New Members ×

Tom Palka visits Indian School Ditch!

RDY_2_Carve

Be sure to watch it in HQ!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VimxjCNN8W0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VimxjCNN8W0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you're ever in town or passing through shoot me a PM and bring your board and pads! :biggthump

John

As much as I'd like to think I'd travel the 16 hours from Utah to Alba-querky and trash Indian School Ditch, your video shows me I'd be handed my butt in a basket. Thanks for the video. You did a great job. I'm sure that with some time under your belt and a few relaxing days in between you'd have ISD wired. This gives me a new perspective on how much protection I'll need when I finally do make it down to NM.

I can't help but notice the angle/pitch of the ditch in several of the frames of the video. Even with the big/soft Gumballs you had to run-out some of the troughs. Add to that the pebbles, weeds, dirt and re-bar ladders. Ditches are dangerous!

Mark

I think I wore off 1/2 my shoe foot breaking to keep Tom in front of me.

The videos really give you no sensation of speed. It's a lot faster than it looks!

A good rain keeps the ditches clean. We're in monsoon season here so it's been pretty nice.

Only bad part is when somebody washes their car or anything that creates drainage. But Tom handled the little bit of water well and my Kryptons did well too.

The transitions are buttery smooth above Tramway and the walls are much higher up there. The footage of the upper half wasn't anywhere near as good. Once you bomb the tunnel the transitions are solid but the walls are smaller. It's still as fast as you want it to be though. The second tunnel is where the transitions get a little more angled but even then it's pretty tame compared to most ditches I've seen...

From the foot bridge to the 2nd tunnel there is a walking path that runs adjacent to the ditch that you can actually exit out of the ditch onto the walking trail and dive back into the ditch. Still waiting to bust my arse doing that one but it always gives you a massive rush! :biggthump

Thanks for posting. I've got to get to NM someday - - maybe Ditchslap 2010.

Just wondering, minus the banks, how steep is Indian School? In other words, if you just got in a tuck at the bottom of the ditch and didn't use banks at all, what kind speeds would you hit? How would that compare to some of the gnarlier ditches ("the Bear")?

John will know way better than I, but we ran into a guy on a home-built luge in there. He could only go straight, and he claimed his GPS clocked 38 mph.

It was definitely faster than I was comfortable with -- and so I got quite comfortable with bailing! Once I learn to slide, hope I'll be able to incorporate that.

John was a most excellent host -- if you have a chance to swing through ABQ on the way to anywhere, do it and definitely look him up!

John will know way better than I, but we ran into a guy on a home-built luge in there. He could only go straight, and he claimed his GPS clocked 38 mph.

It was definitely faster than I was comfortable with -- and so I got quite comfortable with bailing! Once I learn to slide, hope I'll be able to incorporate that.

John was a most excellent host -- if you have a chance to swing through ABQ on the way to anywhere, do it and definitely look him up!

damn if it's 38 straight down that's not too bad, not bagging on you and I'm sure my first couple of runs would be slow but that's a speed at which I am comfortable carving a skateboard