Note to New Members ×

Who was this?

NateW

I recently flew on American Airlines, and their in-flight magazine had a short profile of a snowboard instructor, in Colorado IIRC, and while the action picture was small I'm pretty sure that guy was on hard boots.

I figure that must be someone here. But who?

was this it? from the June 1 mag. I realize not Colorado, but only recent hit from AA.

CARL MANUS

Hometown: Ketchum, IdahoVOCATION: Former product engineer at Scott USA. Currently, a snowboarding instructor in Sun Valley, California, where I work at a golf course four days a week during the summer.

AVOCATIONS: Cross-country skiing, mountain hiking, golfing, fly-fishing, and, of course, snowboarding. Where I live, there’s so much incredible outdoors stuff to do that it’s hard to fit it all in, but that doesn’t stop me from trying.

LAST YEAR’S ITINERARY: I logged 163 hours of snowboarding instruction, with a short hiatus after having triple-bypass surgery followed by knee-replacement surgery, which was timed in the spring so I didn’t miss out on next season. Over the summer, I went fly-fishing and worked at a golf course.

WHAT’S NEXT: More of the same. What in the world would I want to change?

PROUDEST MOMENT: Hearing from friends in Pennsylvania that they saw a big billboard of me on a snowboard. I guess it’s never too late for a modeling career.

TOUGHEST PHYSICAL/HEALTH HURDLE I’VE FACED SO FAR: Kidney-stone surgery -- three times.

WHAT I’VE GIVEN UP: Surfing.

WHAT I’LL NEVER GIVE UP: Living my mountain lifestyle to the fullest and proving that when a doctor says I’ll be off of my feet for three months, he really means six weeks, tops.

PERFECT DAY: Gliding through a fresh blanket of powder on a snowboard with my eyes closed and the sun beaming down. That’s one of the smoothest, most beautiful rides you can have. When there’s no snow, riding a Harley through the mountains of Idaho is nice too.

MOST EXHILARATING EXPERIENCE: I’m hoping it hasn’t happened yet.

BEST PIECE OF ADVICE FOR GETTING THE MOST OUT OF LIFE: Be happy and kind to everyone. Forgive everyone regardless of what they’ve done. Do not carry around hate and ill will -- it’ll only drag you down.

LIFE PHILOSOPHY: Enjoy every moment, and remember that all life is borrowed from God. Thank him regularly, and help others along the way -- even if it’s only with a kind word.

Guest shrederjen

The whole article was pretty inspirational. I gave it to my Dad, and asked him why he wasn't skiing or snowboarding with me. He mumbled something about artificial hips......

replacement hips should be no barrier... I rode with a gal at Big Sky who had both hips replaced. She and her husband could carve nicely on just about anything. Tell Pops to get with it!

The hip replacement surgery is one of the most successful replacement surgeries. My Dad was walking in pain with a cane for several years. He was

reluctant and concerned. Now he is a walking testimony for them. Don't wait too long, a broken hip or other health issues can prevent the surgery.

They don't last for ever and snowboarding/skiing would like reduce the life span of the joint, however, if you have it done at 75, it should not need repairs.

Get it done, couple months, good as new, with NO pain!!

My Dad says " I can't even tell I have had anything done".

The Don'ts

•Don't cross your legs at the knees for at least 8 weeks.

•Don't bring your knee up higher than your hip.

•Don't lean forward while sitting or as you sit down.

•Don't try to pick up something on the floor while you are sitting.

•Don't turn your feet excessively inward or outward when you bend down.

•Don't reach down to pull up blankets when lying in bed.

•Don't bend at the waist beyond 90°.

•Don't stand pigeon-toed.

•Don't kneel on the knee on the unoperated leg (the good side).

•Don't use pain as a guide for what you may or may not do.

The Dos

•Do keep the leg facing forward.

•Do keep the affected leg in front as you sit or stand.

•Do use a high kitchen or barstool in the kitchen.

•Do kneel on the knee on the operated leg (the bad side).

•Do use ice to reduce pain and swelling, but remember that ice will diminish sensation. Don't apply ice directly to the skin; use an ice pack or wrap it in a damp towel.

•Do apply heat before exercising to assist with range of motion. Use a heating pad or hot, damp towel for 15 to 20 minutes.

•Do cut back on your exercises if your muscles begin to ache, but don't stop doing them!

post-198-14184228331_thumb.jpg

The "Over the Hill Gang" (skiers) at Bachelor brag about how many hip replacements there are among them. Something like 20 or so.

And some of them can kick your butt!! :eek: I love em, arrive at 8:15am catch first chair , ride hard for a couple hours then 9 rounds of golf or ???