Note to New Members ×

My feet hurt like a *****

Arclite

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since I spent hours-at-a-time on a skateboard. However, even in those 'long gone' days, I remember absolutely no foot pain (except when I bailed at speed and got a sprain or two.)

Are you sure your problem isn't shoe/sock related?

BB

gotta ask what exactly are you skating? road? Bike path? pushing? Pumping? skogging? I threw Gel insoles into the shoes I skate long distances with much more comfortable, I am back to using Van's Rowely's for park and for everything else I just use Classic Vans Sk8hi's but I've been wearing those for 35years. However I'm old and at the end of a long day of skating I tend to be sore but more of an all over sore with a little knee pain

gotta ask what exactly are you skating? road? Bike path? pushing? Pumping? skogging? I threw Gel insoles into the shoes I skate long distances with much more comfortable, I am back to using Van's Rowely's for park and for everything else I just use Classic Vans Sk8hi's but I've been wearing those for 35years. However I'm old and at the end of a long day of skating I tend to be sore but more of an all over sore with a little knee pain

Pushing my longboard on the road/sidewalk, im sure you can find a picture of it on a few threads now, on the summer rides thread and the grip tape thread are a few.

I have gel insoles in my shoes and they are normal skate shoes. Slip-ons because I'm lazy. :biggthump

Sometimes i hold on to a tow rope we made on the back of my friends bike and I "wakeboard" the street to his house on it.

lace those suckers up. you need the support.

Also, if you're pumping a lot - such as LDP - you can expect the muscles in your feet (arches and stuff) to get a work out and get sore.

If you've been pushing quite a bit, be prepared to experience some achillies tendon pain soon enough.

All this happens to new skaters, using muscles you don't normally use, and new motions too.

If it's from wheel vibrations, try getting a 1/8" riser shock pad to put inbetween your trucks and the board.

Softer wheels help too - ideally look for something with a solid core. 72a purple skunk avilas are the ultimate in soft wheels for shock absorption - there are some disadvantages to those wheels too. Other wheels to look at are the old Earthwing 76mm superballs. Bigzigs in the softer duros. Hotspots in 77a if you want a smaller 69mm wheel (make sure you get black ops - other than sounding cool, they've been doing quite well in the slalom world). 71mm 75a green gator wheels should work too. Or you can go with Tunnel STR Tarantulas in 75a too. Soo many wheels out there to choose from, but get something with a solid core if you want shock absorption properties

I'm more of a 3dm/seismic fan and tend to gravitate toward their wheels for no particular reason other than that i'm happy with them and they work. I have some EW superballs that i'm also very happy with. My next wheels will probably be some Retro Bigzigs if anything. I have more than enough wheels, though.

Edit: one thing to note is that most of these wheels i recommended have the slalom square lip shapes/radiused lips. If you want more of a freeride wheel with rounded corners ask Gecko, he'd know more than myself.

lace those suckers up. you need the support.

Also, if you're pumping a lot - such as LDP - you can expect the muscles in your feet (arches and stuff) to get a work out and get sore.

If you've been pushing quite a bit, be prepared to experience some achillies tendon pain soon enough.

All this happens to new skaters, using muscles you don't normally use, and new motions too.

If it's from wheel vibrations, try getting a 1/8" riser shock pad to put inbetween your trucks and the board.

Softer wheels help too - ideally look for something with a solid core. 72a purple skunk avilas are the ultimate in soft wheels for shock absorption - there are some disadvantages to those wheels too. Other wheels to look at are the old Earthwing 76mm superballs. Bigzigs in the softer duros. Hotspots in 77a if you want a smaller 69mm wheel (make sure you get black ops - other than sounding cool, they've been doing quite well in the slalom world). 71mm 75a green gator wheels should work too. Or you can go with Tunnel STR Tarantulas in 75a too. Soo many wheels out there to choose from, but get something with a solid core if you want shock absorption properties

I'm more of a 3dm/seismic fan and tend to gravitate toward their wheels for no particular reason other than that i'm happy with them and they work. I have some EW superballs that i'm also very happy with. My next wheels will probably be some Retro Bigzigs if anything. I have more than enough wheels, though.

I was planning on upgrading my risers to Khiro's and wheels to bigzigs even before i started this thread :lol:

I know that my legs hurt from bending and pushing, but its my feet when im riding down hill or long lengths of time.

I know being higher off the ground makes it harder to push but I want the compensation for being able to carve harder.

and what do you mean by LDP?

If you want to make your board more turny and carvy, at the cost of some stability, get the angled shock pad risers and have them face like this \ / with the fatter ends pointing inside toward each other and the thin ends facing away from each other.

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/khiro-60angled-skateboard-risers.aspx

If you want to make your board more turny and carvy, at the cost of some stability, get the angled shock pad risers and have them face like this \ / with the fatter ends pointing inside toward each other and the thin ends facing away from each other.

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/khiro-60angled-skateboard-risers.aspx

Seems ideal. Should i buy my wheels and risers at the same time? I'm broke.

It's always best to buy stuff so that you get free shipping. I like ordering from daddiesboard shop because they don't tax you (store is located in oregon - none in CA) and they offer free shipping on all orders over $25.

As for LDP...

LDP = long distance pumping

see www.pavedwave.org

essentially you dry hump the air and use that motion to propel yourself forward instead of putting your feet down to push off (kind of like how on a swing you can get yourself to swing faster and higher without ever pushing off of the ground). I've gone about a mile or two on flat land without ever putting my foot down to push off.

I used to be able to LDP my Hypercarve a few mile on the South County bike path, I only stopped air-humping when I had to cross streets. i can't do it near as easilly on my Supercharger but it's and easier board to ride other ways

You are most definitely blind :cool:

Click on the "How to Pump" tab at the very top. Watch some of the videos too. They're cool and silly looking at the same time.

I'm definatly going to try to LDP now. I liked the first and second videos the most.

I just went on a two mile LDP ride today. It took about 15 minutes or so.

Anyway, if you're serious about doing LDP, these are two piece of equipment you HAVE to get.

Khiro wedge kit.

And Khiro bushing kit. You'll have to do A LOT of experimentation with wedging your front truck, and a little bit with de-wedging your rear truck. You'll also need a number of bushing to go along with your experimenting.

Keep in mind that an LDP setup isn't so great for the down hill stuff. The super quick turning front truck that's nice and great for LDP makes your board squirrelly at speeds of 15mph or greater. If you want to carve on your LDP setup, make sure you keep the speeds down. Once you get some higher speeds going, good luck trying to foot brake with a super squirrely front truck. Good luck trying to carve it out too since your trucks will probably be super divey and turny.

Just something to keep in mind. It's fun and i like doing it, but i try to keep it to the flat lands. Once your balance gets better, you can bump up the speed a bit, and foot braking isn't as sketchy, but it's a big difference being on an LDP setup vs. a carving setup vs. a downhill setup.

wish i could. unfortunately, this is my last week boarding for at least another 3 months or so. surgery is next thursday. I even have a loaded vanguard flex 4 that you could try out.

Would there be any day that you might come out to LA for anything?

Maybe i'll have an ATV run in an area near redlands over summer just because its cheaper than driving to pismo beach.

got the wedge risers, found them for $1.15 a wedge, bought six for around 7 bucks total.

One problem, my screws aren't long enough, i need about 1/4 inches more of clearance. :smashfrea

I think i'll run to home depot or someplace and grab around 8 screws in that category. :biggthump

arclite - hopefully you got the soft wedge riser and not the hard wedge risers which have very little angle on them and riser you up more than actually changing the angle of your trucks. get lots of screws, most of my screws are 1.5" to 3.0" long.

KC - ask away. and yes, the injury resulted in compartment syndrome. had to have a fasciotomy to save the leg.

arclite - hopefully you got the soft wedge riser and not the hard wedge risers which have very little angle on them and riser you up more than actually changing the angle of your trucks. get lots of screws, most of my screws are 1.5" to 3.0" long.

they feel and say "soft wedge riser pad" on them.

I think a screw around 1.5" would be perfect.

looks like a wedge from half inch to a quarter inch.

Plenty of hard plastic wedge risers available. Much more positive control over soft wedges IMO. The flex you want/need should be in your board.

Riser kit:

http://www.sk8kings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=SKKRO215&Category_Code=WR

Screws for everything - i usually cut down the longest ones a bit:

http://www.sk8kings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=SKKRO216&Category_Code=HW

understand that Rick is speaking from a racing POV where control trumps comfort and wheels are switched to make up for any pavement imperfections, that said you are still better off using a hard riser for ankle and a flat shock riser to rid yourself of road noise