Note to New Members ×

Any sliding tips for a complete newbie?

tpalka

My biggest issue with longboarding is speed -- don't know how to control it other than footbraking... and until I can slow down without having to balance on one foot I'm hesitant to ride any steeper pavement.

On someone's suggestion I bought the Landyachtz Evo with 65mm 75a Noskoolz and am trying to figure out the Coleman slide. Unfortunately our town just chipsealed most of the roads, so finding places to ride is pretty hard. Lisa shot a few clips of me yesterday when we were in Leadville. Am I going in the right direction and any ideas on things that I might be completely missing? Any info appreciated... Thanks,

tom.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8In4CrN6Fq4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8In4CrN6Fq4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Tom- I'm not the best slider in the world (probably closer to the worst is more accurate..), but it looks like you aren't really unweighting enough when you increase your angle of attack relative to your angle of motion. Consequently, the wheels stay planted and your angle of attack and motion are the same. You can see this in action in the first clip when your butt hits and the board slides out. That was a pretty interesting angulated carve..I'll have to try that some time.

Afterthought- I have no clue how those wheels behave, but 75a seems a bit soft for sliding.

Edit- Watched it again, another observation I have is that you don't seem to abruptly force the angle of attack, you're just getting the board way into a turn with your center of gravity really low. You're sorta doing a low speed DH turn. Unweight, kick tail, counterbalance. I'd try heel biasing that back foot (opposite of a Gilmour bias on a snowboard) and keeping it a bit flatter so you have more bite on the deck to get the tail to break loose.

Wow, my board wouldn't do anything like that...mainly because the wheels touch the board at too hard of a carve.

I have the same problem, and after creating a new hole in pants from "braking" on the near by hill, i need a new solution other to "jump-grab-and-pray" :smashfrea

Hey Tom,

Good choice for the LY Evo, but the wheels are too soft to start sliding, like KC said. Althought it can be done with softer wheels (the more used the better), it would be easier with some 84a+ at the speed you're going.

Cause this is the other factor ... speed. You have to reach enough speed to be able to slide and not carve, especially with the kind of width you're dealing with on this terrain. Gotta quickly push that Evo ! So don't practice on the flat. You need some moderate hill at least or kick that baby !

And watch for the sand or other slippery stuff (I think it helped a bit in the last bail)! It can transform a perfectly balance and controlled slide into a nightmare.

I'd also suggest investing in some knees pads if you're really getting into sliding :)

You're getting there.

to add to what's been said, it's speed that lets you slide, and honestly i have no problems getting 80a wheels to slide and am getting drifty though I haven't yet slid a set of 78a noschools (still need to break them in a bit) as long as I am going fast enough but too slow and they are just gonna stick. Try working on fast carves and lighten up the rear with a weight shift as you turn so that it gets drifty once you get that down then start getting lower, faster and start pushing it out

Thanks, everyone! I found some articles on the Coleman slide, will keep on practicing. Just hard to find wider pavement where I live... but I'll keep looking. I have some harder (81A) wheels that I'll try instead, too.

Your form definitely progressed through the video - - you stopped grabbing the rail between your knees, and started laying your rear leg down along the board - - that's great.

Beyond the good advice others have given, I'd say find a easier spot, like a nicely paved, slightly sloped parking lot, to practice. On a narrow road you have to be concerned about heading into the ditch, when you should be concentrating one how to initiate, how much weight to transfer to your hand, the feeling of your wheels breaking loose, etc.

All the articles/posts about learning to carve a snowboard include something like: "Pick a nice wide run without much traffic . . ."

Same deal with this.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the chance to do a bit of sliding when visiting friends in Frisco. Didn't see Fin there though!

This time it worked much better -- thanks to everyone for tips and comments. I got a bunch of slides (not all on video), and found that a more dynamic rotation towards the front foot was pretty key. Also keeping the back knee on the board. So next time I'm going to work on making the unweighting a bit more dynamic and on using the back hand to control the "how much" of the slide. I think that's what Cliff Coleman is doing in his videos...

I switched from the new Evo to my old trusty Dervish with 81A 75mm gumballs and it took me a bit to get used to it, but eventually it did. Very happy about that since the Dervish is my go-to board that I ride most of the time...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ivSSpFM3U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ivSSpFM3U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

• 2 weeks later...

We found some pavement options here in town and I've been working on adding slides into my regular riding sessions. I'm now able to throw a slide to a complete stop on a 6 foot wide bike path, although it's fairly intimidating to commit. If I commit, I pull it off. If not, I end up in the weeds or in the creek...

Here are some slides I filmed tonight from a tripod, feeling much better.

Thanks all for your comments and opinions, they helped!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTAUmIe7eyI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTAUmIe7eyI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

nice work there. i need to work on some sliding too. I'll probably pick up some Retro freeride wheels. I figure the rounded corners will be more predictable. I'll probably get them in 80 or 83a.

I can't really slide with all my wheels being more of slalom wheels and duros of 75a to 78a... Not exactly sliding friendly. Last set of 85mm 75a speedvents chattered so badly that i high sided and got bucked off of the board.

Nice to see your progression thorugh videos.

Thanks, maybe someone will get some info from the progression videos and learn from what I was doing wrong :) In the end, seems like pre-rotating was the key item... and I think now I'm going to concentrate on the "how much" of prerotation, so that I can go into a 180 type slide to scrub speed but then come out still riding, even if switch...

Besides watching videos, I really enjoyed the attached article from silverfish. This is a scary thing to learn as you need to pick up some speed... but watch the videos, see what I'm doing in the latter sessions that I completely missed in the first, pad up, get out there and ride :) That's what it really comes down to..

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/Articles/Longboarding_101/How_To:__The_Coleman_Slide/

Post some videos of your sessions!

tom.

Bryan, your PDF file didn't work for me... looks like it's an attachment problem just like the photo one.

So what worked for me -- given my very short time with this -- I started with a board that dropped me low to the ground, the Landyachtz Evo. It was good for the first session as it helped me find the right position, but since I usually ride the Dervish all my other slide attempts were on the Dervish. I have Gumballs 81a wheels, well worn in, and they seem to slide just fine. The sessions #2 and #3 were on those. My board is super turny as I set it up for LDP'ing as much as possible -- and other than the 81a wheels probably nothing on it is particularly good for learning how to slide.

DEFINITELY WEAR A HELMET, not maybe, and I found the elbow pads indispensable. And yes, I'm just using a bike helmet. I haven't yet landed on my knees, so I slacked on knee pads. I have the Loaded gloves, 1st generation, but if you search on silverfish (think someone else recommended it) you can find instruction for making cheap slide gloves out of poly cutting boards and garden gloves -- that's what I'll do for my next pair.

Hope this gives you some more info, let me know if you have other questions and I'll try to share what I learned! Cheers,

tom.

Awesome progress thus far! I had a hard time learning the coleman because I have knee issues on my back(left) knee but I eventually got it down no problem.

You're doing great at stopping, but if you want to do a pendy and come back around to riding regular, you're probably going to need more speed. I find that decently steep hills are nice to learn on(if you have them), so you can get 3 or 4 tries in before the bottom. Get your butt away from that board and your front hand behind you, with your back hand kind of waving out in front of your face to keep the inside rail weighted. If your board is hooking up at the 180 mark before you come back around, chances are you just need more speed.

And if you REALLY want to have an interesting day, wet the road where you're sliding and hang on. :biggthump

Also I would encourage you to learn toeside pendys after this or at the same time, I find them quite fun. There are vids all over youtube for both the slides though so good luck!

Bryan, your PDF file didn't work for me... looks like it's an attachment problem just like the photo one.

So what worked for me -- given my very short time with this -- I started with a board that dropped me low to the ground, the Landyachtz Evo. It was good for the first session as it helped me find the right position, but since I usually ride the Dervish all my other slide attempts were on the Dervish. I have Gumballs 81a wheels, well worn in, and they seem to slide just fine. The sessions #2 and #3 were on those. My board is super turny as I set it up for LDP'ing as much as possible -- and other than the 81a wheels probably nothing on it is particularly good for learning how to slide.

DEFINITELY WEAR A HELMET, not maybe, and I found the elbow pads indispensable. And yes, I'm just using a bike helmet. I haven't yet landed on my knees, so I slacked on knee pads. I have the Loaded gloves, 1st generation, but if you search on silverfish (think someone else recommended it) you can find instruction for making cheap slide gloves out of poly cutting boards and garden gloves -- that's what I'll do for my next pair.

Hope this gives you some more info, let me know if you have other questions and I'll try to share what I learned! Cheers,

tom.

i'm making a replica of a vanguard that should be finished by sunday

of course I'll post some pictures :biggthump

I'm thinking of a brand name for them

Rogantini Longboards

My Italian last name, since its me and my dad working on the boards.

I got some randal 180 trucks

and I know I'm getting some Retro ZigZags 66mm 86a

Seems hard enough and grippy enough.

I do have some 75mm randal wheels that came with the trucks

Don't know the durometer off hand.

Seems like a decent sliding/carving setup?

I'm definatly going to ask the padre and some bomber admins

about starting an:

"Order Your Own Rogantini Longboard!"

thread in the longboard section.

might want to look at the 72mm retro freeride wheels instead of the ZigZags. They have rounded corners, which should be better for sliding, that and 72mm wheels will be a bit more friendlier all around for all sorts of things so you don't have to worry about road debris catching your wheels as much.

83a to 86a is a good duro for sliding. You don't want it to be too hard, otherwise the ride will be really jarring and beat you up.

The 66mm ZigZags are really a slalom wheel designed to compete with the 66mm hotspots that Seismic has. They're designed for grip and not really as much for drifting/sliding, which doesn't mean that they can't be broken in to do that sort of thing. I just think there are wheels that are better suited and designed for that sort of thing.

Still, i can't say out right if it is better or not since i'm not currently riding and haven't been on the wheels.

even better for learning how to slide. If all you're trying to do at this point is learn how to slide, then throw those on.

I doubt it would be much good for all around commuting/carving/longboarding but for learning how to slide, i think 90a should break free pretty easily.

even better for learning how to slide. If all you're trying to do at this point is learn how to slide, then throw those on.

I doubt it would be much good for all around commuting/carving/longboarding but for learning how to slide, i think 90a should break free pretty easily.

I'm using them for commuting right now.

I'm not sure what they are, but im judging around 90a

I'm using them for commuting right now.

I'm not sure what they are, but im judging around 90a

If you're using 90a for commuting, your legs must be numb by the time you get where you're going! That or you have amazing quality roads where you live.

Any idea what brand they are? Either way the harder the wheel, the easier the learning curve in my opinion.