Note to New Members ×

Wax and equipment tips for Mount Hood

oldkey

hows it going, well i have been up here at hood for the past few weeks coaching snowboard racing and id say the best thing to go with up here at hood is a giant block of training wax something cheap that can be used every day. the snow is brutal on snowboards and should be waxed every day before u ride and after. lots of wax is good....

.....of CH10? Are you salting? Does that make a difference for wax?

Yes, salting is common, and BIG TIME!!

Hard in the am, soft in late morning. Soup by 1PM.

Depending on current conditions. It can be what I describe as "Broken Safety Glass" in the am. Often becomes SWEET corn somewhere during the day.

Very late season, it can be dirt at the bottom loading the "Magic Mile". If high winds have been present this can spread dust and dirt from the ridges.

Still lots of snow.

What wax would you be riding for Mount Hood next week? Any equipment tips for a first time Hood rider? What's different about summer riding at Hood vs Colorado riding in winter?

Thanks in advance

Small back pack, for water/ lunch. To be left on the hill during training.

Sun screen, lip balm.

Know that conditions at the top of Palmer can be different than at the lodge.

Treat the lifties good, they will remember you!! Timberline has always been a close knit family type area.

Be ready for "Down Days". Check out the historic lodge.

At some point , structure can become more important than wax. A rill or course structure can kick ass in the slop. This may or may not apply to what your doing there. I used to rill my skis/boards and fly past the racers on the flats. The looks were classic :eplus2::biggthump:eek:

http://www.oldsnowboards.com/mthood_links.htm

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I have some of this stuff for whenever I am at Mt.Hood:

Holmenkol Mt. Hood Training Ski Wax- 200gm

http://tognar.com/holmenkol_wax_waxes_waxing_ski_snowboard.html

Sounds like a winner!!

Holmenkol Mt. Hood Training ski Wax- 200gm Item #HOL-20079 : $7.95

This special training wax is formulated for wet, highly abrasive, dirty, high friction, salted summer glacier training snow. It utilizes silicone, moly, synthetic paraffins and other ingredients to provide outstanding glide, friction reduction, dirt & water repellency and help prevent base burn. It's best used for snow temps of 32F to 23F (0C to -5C). 200 gram bar

Good description of summer conditions.

You on the other hand probably didn't see much dirty snow? Spring / late spring and early summer are the best time to go. BEFORE the race camps start.

Disclaimer: This discription was cut and pasted from the Tognar website. Please be clear, I did not invent wax, I am not a scientist, chemist or engineer. I simply slide on snow :biggthump I feel no requirement to support the claims made by this description. Nor do I provide any warranty or product support. Wax is good. :1luvu:

.....was able to get to a shop today that had the Swix version called "Glacier Wax." Also sending CH 6, CH 7, Dominator Race Zoom and base prep in case there is a need to hot scrape off the rocks! Hope that the Glacier Wax works - like the $8 price tag for 20 g.

Thanks again!

Hey Oldkey.

If you want a pretty good tour of the layout , check out some of my old galleries.

Grab a beer and turn on the "Slideshow". I would recommend setting the timer for 2 seconds, there are allot of photos.

These are a couple years old, but the mountain has not changed all that much in about a million or so :freak3:

I have a bunch of newer ones too, unfortunately they are on one of my closed down sites.

Have fun!!

If you get into Portland, give us a shout, good reason to call out the alpine troops and have some beer and pizza!!

post-198-141842282637_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842282639_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184228264_thumb.jpg

Thank you. My son left today for his trip to Hood meeting up with his teammates and coaches in Portland. First summer trip - he's psyched to try out new gear, ride a new mountain and see old friends he normally only gets to see at races. Now when he calls I will feel like I am there.

Thank you. My son left today for his trip to Hood meeting up with his teammates and coaches in Portland. First summer trip - he's psyched to try out new gear, ride a new mountain and see old friends he normally only gets to see at races. Now when he calls I will feel like I am there.

Has he been able to avoid the Thunderstorms? Hope it clears and is good weather for him/them.

Updates? Photos?

.....so not the best communicator! :) I spoke to him on Wednesday when he was on the lift. It was raining and he was soaked. He told me the "snow was brown." After only a couple of hours on snow he told me he was sure we would need to send his new Kessler back to Mike DiSantis before the season starts. But - he's having a blast with his coaches and the rest of the riders. He said that he spent some time talking to Chris Klug and Anton Pogue - so I think the US Team might be there as well. He broke his collar bone training the week before USASA Nationals so he is just thankful to be back on snow. I doubt we will get any pictures.....just hope all his gear makes it home!

Should hear more as the week progresses.

Thought that it was slightly more stable than his VIST plates, but much easier to mount / un-mount as compared to the VIST and its' 24+ screws. Conditions are less than optimal, initial reaction says there will be some VIST plates on the classifieds when Fin goes into production. The Happy Fun Plates were obviously made wit the race/regular TD3s in mind so he said the set up seemed natural and appropriate.

He hot scraped to get the crud off the base - says it worked well. Just hope he put enough back on......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...