Note to New Members ×

Who's following the Giro?

Skully

Sure go go go -- any of the old farts --- BUT Skully any idea why your man did not even finish his race in the Olympics 5 years ago...???

C'mon Levi's not a one day racer... look at who won (Bettini). That was a one day racer's race, not a stage racer. How's Bettini ever done on GC in a grand tour?

C'mon Levi's not a one day racer... look at who won (Bettini). That was a one day racer's race, not a stage racer. How's Bettini ever done on GC in a grand tour?

yea I can see why you may not like him.;):1luvu:;):1luvu:

Road Race World Champion (2006, 2007)

Olympic Games Road Race (2004)

UCI Road World Cup (2002, 2003, 2004)

Italian Road Race Champion (2003, 2006)

Tour de France, 1 stage

Giro d'Italia, 2 stages

Vuelta a España, 5 stage

Liège-Bastogne-Liège (2000, 2002)

Giro di Lombardia (2005, 2006)

Milano-Sanremo (2003)

Züri-Metzgete (2001, 2005)

Tirreno-Adriatico (2004)

Clásica de San Sebastián (2003)

HEW Cyclassics Cup(2003)

Plus 3 gold medals and a silver.. 2001 - 2007.

Oh well maybe he'll do better next year... have a great sunny day Shawn... :lurk:

yea I can see why you may not like him.;):1luvu:;):1luvu:

Road Race World Champion (2006, 2007)

Olympic Games Road Race (2004)

UCI Road World Cup (2002, 2003, 2004)

Italian Road Race Champion (2003, 2006)

Tour de France, 1 stage

Giro d'Italia, 2 stages

Vuelta a España, 5 stage

Liège-Bastogne-Liège (2000, 2002)

Giro di Lombardia (2005, 2006)

Milano-Sanremo (2003)

Züri-Metzgete (2001, 2005)

Tirreno-Adriatico (2004)

Clásica de San Sebastián (2003)

HEW Cyclassics Cup(2003)

Plus 3 gold medals and a silver.. 2001 - 2007.

Oh well maybe he'll do better next year... have a great sunny day Shawn... :lurk:

Zactly, thanks! Didn't have time to do the research. Notably absent... a green jersey.

Zactly, thanks! Didn't have time to do the research. Notably absent... a green jersey.

I have a green jersey somewhere downstairs.... Maybe I give him mine when I see him next time...:lol:

Took awhile for Phil Mickelson to get his Green Jacket... Maybe same for Bettini -who knows????

Lance is just a media whore. He's had his day in the spotlight.... ;)

Go Levi :biggthump

Of course Lance is a "media whore". His primary stated goal in coming out of retirement is to bring more attention to the fight against cancer. As someone living with and fighting for my life against cancer, I appreciate Lance's "whoring" to no end. Besides, he's trying to help Levi win the Giro anyway, not himself.

Sure go go go -- any of the old farts --- BUT Skully any idea why your man did not even finish his race in the Olympics 5 years ago...???
Of course Lance is a "media whore". His primary stated goal in coming out of retirement is to bring more attention to the fight against cancer. As someone living with and fighting for my life against cancer, I appreciate Lance's "whoring" to no end. Besides, he's trying to help Levi win the Giro anyway, not himself.

OK since it looks like I started a pissing match, and offended some folks with my statement about Lance, I'll try to stop the pissing match, and clarify.. The statement was "meant to be" sarcastic, thus the ;). Yes Lance's reasons for his comeback are noble. I hope his comeback goes better than other proffessional sports figures comebacks. Even if he doesn't win anything, he should have no problem bringing more attention to his cause. I doubt there's anyone around that could bring more attention to the cancer fight than him..

BUT, he's not there to win the Giro, and has admitted that it's not a possibility for him to win the overall classification. Levi is there to win. I'm rootin' for Levi, 'cause he's got the best chance of winning out of the Americans that are there. Hopefully Lance can get a stage win and help Levi win the overall. Did ya'll see Lance pulling on the front yesterday in stage 11? He does make for a pretty good domestique...

So, here goes:

Go Levi and Lance :biggthump

How's that?

OK since it looks like I started a pissing match, and offended some folks with my statement about Lance, I'll try to stop the pissing match, and clarify.. The statement was "meant to be" sarcastic, thus the ;). Yes Lance's reasons for his comeback are noble. I hope his comeback goes better than other proffessional sports figures comebacks. Even if he doesn't win anything, he should have no problem bringing more attention to his cause. I doubt there's anyone around that could bring more attention to the cancer fight than him..

BUT, he's not there to win the Giro, and has admitted that it's not a possibility for him to win the overall classification. Levi is there to win. I'm rootin' for Levi, 'cause he's got the best chance of winning out of the Americans that are there. Hopefully Lance can get a stage win and help Levi win the overall. Did ya'll see Lance pulling on the front yesterday in stage 11? He does make for a pretty good domestique...

So, here goes:

How's that?

LOL, skully I'm totally with you. Lance has done great things for cancer awareness, can't take that away from him. But it doesn't mean he's not a major a-hole! Levi's a bit of a freak too, truth be told. I'm personally a big Horner fan... he doesn't try to cloak his a-holi-ness.

The cool thing about Levi is he'll show up to the early season NorCal road races... the same ones hack amateurs like me do (well, not ME exactly, I'm Cat3, but you know what I mean). And then he'll just ride off the front for 60 miles. And the P12 fields in the NCNCA aren't slouches.

So, here goes:

How's that?

Hey Skully -- I did not see it as a pissin contest -- we were just having a nice discussion -- thanks.. throwing a few friendly barbs now and then is ok with me.. crap.. you should see/hear my golf foursome on the 1st T sometimes -- It livens the party. Have a good day... ride well. BTW what so you ride for a 2 wheeler? I ride a Serotta Legend Ti when it is dry and a Sekai steel when it is wet. Looking at adding a carbon to my stable in the next couple of months. Go Wilier!! :biggthump

Now A-hole I would have to agree with because I've heard it from too many people who know him or have met him. I want to believe that it's just his driven personality that enables him to succeed that also makes him come off as an A-hole. I'll let you know if I ever meet him.

I've finally gotten around to watching the scifi show "Firefly" that was on Fox 5 years ago. Great show. It's a shame it had such a short run. There's a great quote at the end of one episode that I think might apply to people like Lance...

"It's my estimation every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son'b!tch or another"

Sometimes, to achieve greatness, you have to be some kind of A-hole.

I think the best thing IS to say "Go Levi and Lance"

Hey Skully -- I did not see it as a pissin contest -- we were just having a nice discussion -- thanks.. throwing a few friendly barbs now and then is ok with me..

Well, alrighty then, let's get back to it: [sARCASM-BARBING] Why didn't "my man" Levi finish the Olympic Road Race 5 years ago? I guess he was tired after his top 10 finish in the Tour de France... Lance gave up his place to Levi after winning the tour, I guess Levi should have given his place to.... I dunno, Horner???? How many Olympic Road Race medals does "your man" Lance have? [/sARCASM-BARBING] I got nuthin' to say about that Bettini guy, 'cept that I've got a green jersey in my closet, so...... (It's kind of an olive-green though, does that count?)

BTW what so you ride for a 2 wheeler? I ride a Serotta Legend Ti when it is dry and a Sekai steel when it is wet. Looking at adding a carbon to my stable in the next couple of months. Go Wilier!! :biggthump

Heh, anymore I'd consider myself more of a cycling fan than a cyclist. All of my cycling gear is like all of the snowboards that I own... OLD. When I do ride, my road bike is a Lemond Zurich. Steel frame, carbon fork, and every other carbon gizmo I could find when I sold all my old BMX gear for big $ on fee-bay. Bars, stem, cranks, seatpost. I even got carbon water bottle cages. They make me WAY faster (on my rollers...) It is a pretty comfy ride with the steel and the carbon though. Then there's the OLD GT LTS mountain bike, and the two observed trials bikes that mostly collect dust...

Anyone wanna buy a trials bike?

"It's my estimation every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son'b!tch or another"

Sometimes, to achieve greatness, you have to be some kind of A-hole.

We've all got plenty of A-hole in us, I think... If I were one of those guys with cameras and mic's in my face constantly, with a high percentage of them out to prove I've got a syringe up the wah-zoo, I'd be a much bigger A-hole than I am now. :p

Well, alrighty then, let's get back to it: [sARCASM-BARBING] Why didn't "my man" Levi finish the Olympic Road Race 5 years ago? I guess he was tired after his top 10 finish in the Tour de France... Lance gave up his place to Levi after winning the tour, I guess Levi should have given his place to.... I dunno, Horner???? How many Olympic Road Race medals does "your man" Lance have? [/sARCASM-BARBING]

Lance is not "My Man" - I was pullin for him or anyone over 30.. Damn I wish there was someone over 60 so I could pull for him instead. I am also pullin for Team Lampre-- small chance of winning but I like underdogs.. Just like Rachel Alexandra and Karch Kiraly in his older years and of course Kenny Perry who has never won a Green "jersey" - but a helluva player. :biggthump

Lance is not "My Man" - I was pullin for him or anyone over 30..

I can joing that club...

New cheer is: Go Old-Farts! :biggthump

I am also pullin for Team Lampre-- small chance of winning but I like underdogs.

I don't mind cheering for underdogs either, so let's see. My underdog team would have to be Garmin.... Vande Velde's out after busting himself up in that stupid crash, but he had no aspirations for the overall anyway so let's see.... OK let's say Dave Zabriske. Has he done anything at all this year? Looks like he just turned 30 in January, does he still qualify for the Old-Fart club? He probably won't win anything in the Giro (Maybe he could do something in the final time-trial?) I'll pull for him since he's from my home state, plus he had that sweet 'stache goin' on. Did he shave it off yet?

gbIMG_7115.jpg4923.jpg

(Man, I'm getting so much work done on this Friday before the holiday....)

Anyone wanna buy a trials bike?
If I can find a way to sneak it into the house......

mario

That'll be the modified trials bike then. It'll be easier to sneak it in since it's smaller.

I can box it up this weekend, and ship it next week after the holiday. ;)

That'll be the modified trials bike then. It'll be easier to sneak it in since it's smaller.

I can box it up this weekend, and ship it next week after the holiday. ;)

So how much, just out of curiosity? (not that I could....)

Well....

Looks like it's down to a two man race at this point, barring disaster.....

Di Luca sure is fun to watch. He doesn't give up!

After watching them in that heat and the climb... I don't see how there are any left.

We did a 60 mile 4650 feet gain that morning and then watched -- it hurt 2X just watching them as I recovered.

I like the breakaway that Lance tried yesterday to bridge up to Pellizotti(sp?). He was just about there and Franco put in another effort and dropped Lance. They showed a close up of Lance's face and you could see him mutter the word, "Damn" as Pellozotti slipped away.

Shortly thereafter, Lance was scooped up by the DiLuca/Menchov attacks and got shot out the back. Can you say toast??

Too bad that Jason McCartney and Danny Pate didn't have the legs to beat Scarponi today, I was rootin for em!!!