Note to New Members ×

I Was 'In' a Wedding Yesterday -

boarderboy

complete with all the frills and accouterments that a true, traditional, southern-fried church ceremony can have.

It was the "senior" bride's first wedding; her groom's fourth. He confided to us, as we dressed for the ordeal, that his first two nuptials had been consecrated in front of South Carolina magistrates. The longest of these unions lasted fourteen days...

This was the first time I'd ever worn long 'tails.' And before what can only be described as the loopiest 'New Age' ritual ever to occur in that staid, Presbyterian sanctuary, I'd forgotten what a hideously costly disaster a wedding can be - physically, psychically, spiritually, and monetarily.

This was a day that just had to end. Had it not, I'd have known that I'd died and gone to hell, with no possible hope of reprieve.

I just hope this thing lasts longer than two weeks.

And so, from Possum's Pouch, your humble scribe retires... (just for the day, Jack!)

BB

I thought all you NC guys wore coonskin caps every day. (Or is that Tennessee?)

Coonskin has been passe' for quite some time. Besides those critters are a "protected" species these days.

I personally prefer a plantation-style Panama during the summer "miasma". (We just had four 90 + days in a row, one of 'em record-breaking.)

In fall, most of us "seniors" transition to jaunty BeBops or Kangols. Winter chapeaus depend on the weather. I tend to favor a wind-proof fleece (recycled of course.)

Note: I just finished "proctoring" an End of Grade Test at my son's school. They wouldn't let me wear my LowBoy. Something about hats and gang symbolism. Didn't even want me to wear my "shades," but I explained they were Rx and things could get very awkward without 'em. Spent 3 hours twiddling my thumbs and idly speculating on the common rootage of "proctor" and "proctologist".

Hope your 'market', whatever it is, is showing some signs of revival, Tex!

good surf to yah

BB

"... of a certain age...".

As for my younger (1/2) sister having an AARP card, I don't know. She could.

The Association is not very restrictive in how they hand out those things. They 'lost' me when they jumped, big time, into the supplementary Medicare insurance business (I think?) Real conflict of interest.

But that digression veers off into territory I've sworn never again to enter on BOL...

Peace (off the ice!)

BB

• 1 month later...
:lurk: You know we expect an update in another week to see if they are still together!

and we're almost seven weeks in!!

Things may still be lovey-dovey cause the couple seem to have avoided South Carolina completely (they honeymooned in North Carolina!) while saving up for a Hawaii sojourn.

For sure they've shunned Myrtle Beach/Ocean Drive (SC) where so many "relationships" have begun and ended in 24 hours or less. (Bailed my whole college frat out of the O.D. jail once. "Sleeping" behind a sofa, I was the only bruthah not scooped up by the cops as they busted they place... and all the cars in the yard, too...)

sweet memories...

will check back in at the 6-month mark...

BB :biggthump:biggthump