Note to New Members ×

tea bagging question: political flamebait

bobdea

did anyone get on the tea bagging bus?

I have a question that apparently no one asked they went to these was asked or knew what the tea act was about.

So, can anyone please explain the perception that tea baggers have of the boston tea party and why they wanted to play dress up, emulating people who were pissed about what was essentially a big business tax cut?

It ended up screwing other merchants (of smuggled tea) that were smaller and these were the guys that were pissed because it made them not able to compete.

"13 Geo III c. 44, long title An act to allow a drawback of the duties of customs on the exportation of tea to any of his Majesty's colonies or plantations in America; to increase the deposit on bohea tea to be sold at the East India Company's sales; and to empower the commissioners of the treasury to grant licences to the East India Company to export tea duty-free."

Another factoid, Ben Franklin supported the tea act.

Most of the political discussion here has been civil as of late, I'm really looking for an answer to the question. Makes no sense to me. You'd think if you're gonna stage protests you'd not emulate one that's pretty much the opposite of your point.

would be like me protesting situational homosexuality by dressing up as a convict and calling it a a salad tossing party.

One answer to what it was about... ill thought out desperation. The only people who cared about it were GOP party activist. It just got an :lol: from the other side and a :confused: from everyone else. It's one thing to rally the base, it's another to look ineffective public fools while doing it.

The sad thing about the GOP situation for me, is that the only Republican voice of reason is now a Democrat. Watching the J. comitee hearings last year, it was obvious Specter was really struggling to tow the party line in the face of obvious contempt for the constitution and rule of law by his then party.

BobD

But I did go down to the local showing and handed out some stuff, to the participants. Most of the "tea baggers" (I have a hard time saying that!) haven't a clue about Constitutional law, history, or dress up. If people would read the dang Constitution, learn a few legal terms as they are used in various parts of Code law, they would think a little differently. That is just too much trouble, though, but read first, think second, speak last and you look a little more intelligent.