Note to New Members ×

Snow rollers! (Amazing!)

SWriverstone

A friend just emailed this to me and I couldn't resist posting it here. Photos of an incredibly cool natural phenomenon I'd never heard of nor seen. And it's 100% real—as far as I can tell, not an April Fool's joke (unless someone can debunk it...)

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/otx/photo_gallery/snow_rollers.php

Scott

i call frosted over hay rolls... not a chance... snow weighs a ton in those volumes.

Too hollow for hay rolls, doesn't explain the collapsed ones. It does look like they follow the bailer swathes.

Also it says they're 18"-24" tall, I've seen funky snow formations way bigger than that.SnowRolls09033101a.jpg

i call frosted over hay rolls... not a chance... snow weighs a ton in those volumes.

Take a close look at certain ones. you can see that the initial innermost layers are very narrow and as the roll gets larger and larger the layers get wider and wider resulting in an inverted cone shape at the ends.

Ever see the devil's racetrack out in Death Vally? Smallish stones on an apparently perfectly flat terrain have been imperceptably moving for decades, all in a consistant direction, leaving trails behind them. Really weird.

In eastern Washington there are many strange things.

Back in the 80's... I and three friends drove out to Chelan WA. to fly hangliders from the butte there. We were somewhat dumbfounded as we drove across the vast expanses of flat plains of eastern Wash. and seeing here and there A HUGE BOULDER!!! just sitting there... right in the middle of nowhere!! They seemed as if they had just fallen straight down from the sky. I recall seeing a house built right next to one and if memory serves me well the rock was about 3 times as tall as the house. After seeing something like that it was easy for me to understand how primative cultures would invent all powerfull gods to would throw these things around.

Back in the 80's... I and three friends drove out to Chelan WA. to fly hangliders from the butte there. We were somewhat dumbfounded as we drove across the vast expanses of flat plains of eastern Wash. and seeing here and there A HUGE BOULDER!!! just sitting there... right in the middle of nowhere!! They seemed as if they had just fallen straight down from the sky. I recall seeing a house built right next to one and if memory serves me well the rock was about 3 times as tall as the house. After seeing something like that it was easy for me to understand how primative cultures would invent all powerfull gods to would throw these things around.

Must be the rock deposit by the receeding glacier?