Note to New Members ×

Been making me laugh.

carvedog

http://www.break.com/index/soldier-m...ab-driver.html

It's only a joke if the other guy can get the joke as well. Given that thousands of innocent people were imprisoned and treated like @$#!, I'm sure that from what the taxi driver is understanding from the dialog, he is crapping his pants and not expecting to see his family for a few years. No funnier than watching a school yard bully having fun with a smaller kid.

BobD

I don't really think I have good taste.......

It's only a joke if the other guy can get the joke as well.

Didn't mean to piss you off. It amused me. Of all the things a frustrated soldier in Iraq could do, I thought this was pretty innocuous.

How do you know the cabbie doesn't go through this checkpoint six times a day and they were having fun together? Despite and in spite of the language barrier.

Just saying.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound too heavy.

I think though, if you put yourself in the taxi drivers shoes (he didn't seem to be sharing in the joke), only half understanding the words spoken to him, it would have been very intimidating and even humiliating. Bottom line is that the soldier showed no respect. If you want to stop an insurgency, alienating the locals is a poor way to do it, as the first four years in Iraq proved.

The soldier is not intending anything more than a little fun, but his lack of training in culture could cost other soldiers their lives when this insulted taxi driver is persuaded to help the insurgents.

BobD