Note to New Members ×

Summer Storage and Rust Prevention

kmagvette

I have always rubbed soft wax (CH12) on the edges followed by a generous hot wax with the same wax. Last season this let me down and I had some rust on the edges. So I am looking for alternatives for this summer, got any?

I store my boards/skis inverted and horizontal on a wall rack in the basement. They are in my woodshop with the table saw, jointer, and other tools with steel surfaces that do not exhibit any signs of rust - ever.

I see that storage threads from previous years focus on camber destruction and how to prevent it; I figure if the board can stand up to my fat a$$ repeatedly bending the snot out of it, run after run, then it can deal with a few months of hanging out however I deem most convenient. Hope that doesn't detract from the edge focus of this thread :biggthump

It's probably a little too cool in your basement. I don't have a basement where I live so my boards are stored in the living area at room temperature. I've never had rust appear over summer. Your basement is probably cool enough that any moisture in the air will condense on your boards and start to rust the edges. I don't know how to explain about the woodworking stuff not rusting when your board edges do.

later,

Dave R.

EDIT: I don't know what it will do to your base, but if you drip WD-40 on a rag and run it along your edges, it will protect your edges from rust right?

Rust on edges will result in rust creeping around the edge to under base. Oil is good but a film of petroleum jelly will provide a better film ,wax the base well then apply jelly to bottom and edge of metal. If the board is dry when applied you will never see rust even if your water pipes are dripping from condensation this summer.Same can be said for any minor nicks on metal boards, oxydation can start on exposed bruises along the side too:smashfrea so apply petrolium jelly to those as well.

mr_roboteye,

My basement is cool, but I have three dehumidifiers in the wood shop and I store boards/skis between 4 and 7 ft above the floor to mitigate potential condensation issues. The woodworking equipment does get paste wax applied to it and that may be helping the exposed steel resist rust. Hmmm, could Johnsons Paste Wax, or any Carnuba wax, be an answer? I will definately try this on the rock skis. Thanks for spurring the idea.

The reason we don't use cutting oil as a lube when sharpening the edges is that the oil will inhibit wax from penetrating the base thereby reducing resistance to base burn.

I had never considered Petroleum Jelly. Would you hot wax, scrape, jelly OR jelley, hot wax , and walk away?