Note to New Members ×

Set screw on TD1 lever...

crazyTKDsquirrel

Ditto—I don't know what this is for either! Or more specifically, I don't know exactly how it should be adjusted.

Obviously it controls how far over/down the bail lever goes...but what's optimal? (Or is it one of these "everyone does it differently" kinda things?)

Explanation or instructions are appreciated! :biggthump

Scott

There's an optimal tension, and not all toeboxes are the same dimensions, so that's necessary.

Imagine your toeclip being a cam. Once it passes over the "lobe" of the cam, the tension will start to decrease, giving you the "pop" when you get clicked in. If it's too far out, you won't get past the apex of the cam and you'll pop open. Too far in and it's too close to the boot and you lose the preloading of the bails, giving you slop and unnecessary force on the bails. Oh, and good luck opening it!

Due to the fact that all toeclips aren't of the same geometry, there's no real "turn it this many times" guide, just get a feel for where you are along the cam.

I'm still on the proper caming angle reason.

I've seen low toe boxes, without the set screw pushing against the boot, the lever would flop around past the caming point.

I have to change the screw on my OS1 to something with a lower head or with a set screw (with insert), I don't get past the caming point enough to my liking (no release yet though).

Play around with the length of the screw and see how it affects the hold on your boot. If you're paranoid, add a strap with buckle to tie down the lever (I've seen a lot of racers do this).

Point taken, bobdea. :) (And I like lmgtfy.com!) Although it's interesting to note that King Crimson's explanation for the set screw (see above) is not the same as the Bomber manual's explanation.

They both make sense.

Scott

And that's why everyone should sign a waiver before talking to me.

However, in my experience, setting it super low just makes it very frustrating...But I can imagine it's significantly safer to have it down all the way as long as you don't get the slop that I got with my Burton Boilers when I crammed them in some TD2s that had the clip set very low. Perhaps they have a narrow toe lug that caused this?