Note to New Members ×

Is it skill or snow conditions??

Bullwings

Whats affects riding more, skill or snow conditions?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Whats affects riding more, skill or snow conditions?

• Skill
    • Snow conditions

ICE??? NO,NO,NO!!! Carvedog and I agree! You want to get hurt? I don't think so! Too many good days to go on ice! My 2 cents! Hey, I'm old and just started to get EC on the heelside and now my lefthand glove is shot now! Feels so good!

Now work on that right glove on the heelside Tim.

I feel for you guys that actually have to ride on the ice. Out here I can of about 4 days in the last 20 that were "ice".

By the same tokin, my wife always says to me "Hey Mr. WankerGAptard Wannabe was complaining about the ice today, but you said it was great?"

"Why don't you ever complain about the snow or lack of like everyone else?"

To that I can say I like really firm snow just as much as the fresh groomed pow, cuz you can go lower without bootout, faster, harder etc. and those faux face shots off your fingertips are a little more manageable with the firm snow.

But ice? Real ice? I don't do it. No conditions to practice on. :eplus2:

a beginner on too small of a board with a lack of tune can still rock in "hero snow". As snow conditions get worse, icy or slushy, skill set/ experience & equipement/tune play a greater role.

If you never ride difficult conditions you'll never get beyond intermediate skills.

I didn't vote because it's a blend that includes equipment:argue:

great conditions can make the worst stinkbug-style carver seem competent. More importantly, all the skill in the world will not make sheer ice pleasant for me to snowboard on. Having to hold back on laid turns and riding with extreme precision 100% of the time is frustrating, and i would like to leave my frustrations back home. Conditions can make or break the day.

So...this sounds like a sarcastic, joke question...but I'm really serious:

Is it theoretically possible (if you're good enough) to rail EC turns on 100% solid ice? I'm talking about a hockey rink tilted at a 45-degree angle...not "kinda, sorta like ice" but pure, glistening-wet ice.

Never mind that a ski slope isn't like a tilted hockey rink...it's a hypothetical question, remember? :)

Scott

To answer the question: NO.

anyone who says otherwise is lying. The push-pull extension doesnt hold on icy slopes. Carving on ice requires a technique all its own, relying on angulation and it doesnt allow for full extension over the slope (or really any extension over the slope). To be able to carve successfully, crossing the fall line and not put any skid in is a feat in itself on an icy slope. Anyone who can perform EC on ice is welcome to demonstrate and maybe even give me a "how-to" this sunday night at Jiminy peak, I would be excited to learn. If the weather report is accurate, it should be glistening just like SWriverstone's hockey rink.