Note to New Members ×

Lake Tahoe Area weather check and trails recommendation

pow4ever

I have such great success with asking trail recommendation for Vail and Jackson Hole I figure I ask here as well :)

Kinda the same exact scenerio as before:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24199&highlight=jackson+hole

If snow are in the forecast I might bring the softie and hardboots. However my goal is get some solid days on the hardboots.

If you don't mind riding with a newbie; I am glad to meet up with anyone.

Probably will be limited to public transporation only.

Will be staying @ Lakeland Village Resort.

South Lake Tahoe area from Feb 28 to Mar 6.

I have been to kirkwood, sierra, heaveanly, and Squaw before; however on my softboot setup.

Ability:

beginner harbooterer on donek 180 GS.

(My madd 168 bx delam on me so the training wheel is coming off).

--

David

Post up on Tahoecarvers too... lots of people there don't peek over here.

http://www.tahoecarvers.com/riders/forum/list_TC.php?f=1

Don't have great recommendations other than I know that there will be a bit of a crew at Mt. Rose on 2/28, maybe on 3/1. Midweek at Rose you can catch Rob Starr or James Ong on the Northwest chair ... they are very friendly and helpful if you can keep up!

If you are a beginner and on a 180 Donek, tho, I'd think Rose would be a little intimidating because most runs are relatively steep. Not crazy steep, but "check your speed" steep.

The other bummer is that next week is OES up in Bend and a lot of the regulars will be heading up there.

Judging by your screen name, you are going to be very very happy here next week. Its going to snow. A lot. 1-3 feet this weekend alone. Maybe a little rain on Saturday, but it will change to snow and that should be it for rain. Then it snows all week.

FYI, hitchhiking in Tahoe is pretty easy.

Thank you for the info.

How does the hitch hike thing work? Just stick out your thumb? Trade with beer? I have see people doing that; but didn't see anyone pick them up.

Look like most carver stay at Mount Rose area.

Damn; it's going to snow? I was really looking forward to some hardpack/groomer... :D

With the donek 180 gs I don't think I will get much float in all those snow....

I was going to pack light this time... Oh well.

--

David

You can get good float from that board. Just set the bindings all the way back as far as they'll go. I've done it lots of times and it works fine. Especially in the heavier pow we get out here. I'll loan you a powder board if you come to Alpine Meadows - just email me.

Hitchhiking is just a matter of sticking your thumb in the road. If you are trying to get from South Lake up to North Lake, it would probably make it easier if you made a small sign with big letters (one side says "Alpine" the other says "Heavenly" - so you can get back in the evening). People tend to be more inclined to pick you up if they know you are going near where they're going and not just 1/2 mile up the road.

Lots of carvers at Kirkweed too ("lots" being a relative term).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Lake Tahoe.

Didn't know there is such thing as too much powder... :)

Wed Mar 4 2009 I was @ Apline Meadow

They must have gotten 6+ feets of snow for the storm.

Plus the day before they are closed...

Poor me was on the 18cm waist donek 180 gs. I did ok with it couple day before at Heavenly and Sierra with 1 or 2 feet of heavy snow. First couple runs made me just want to quit... This deep stuff is no joke. Every couple of turn puff, man down and I am half bury. I should change my screen name lol... I stuck it out, with my back leg burring... and still have a great time. I did kissed some hardpack/groomer snow the next day @ Squaw valley.

Sinecure:

I wish I check bomber when I was @ lake tahoe!!! I would def take you up on the offer. Sorry to have missed you. I did meet a women on alpine gear that day name Alex?

Enjoy the snow!!! I know I did.

--

David

• 7 months later...

the name of the women wasn't coincidentally Anke, a german? my memory is not that great, but i was in alpine meadows around this time, and i remember seeing some (one?) alpine boarder, and maybe even talked to him in the lift or so? or was it kirkwood? :o*confused*