Note to New Members ×

Guitars

Jack M

About 10 years ago I sold all my electric stuff to buy a Taylor acoustic. On a whim I went to their website today and saw this bad boy:

3197228395_85c21151b6.jpg

Not that I could afford that (nor am I worthy) but they have some more affordable models. Me want.

Anyone playing a Taylor electric?

I'm just musing really. Was wondering if anyone here has one. The more affordable models ($1800 :eek: ) are solid body, that's what I'd get if I did. But that hollow sure is pretty.

I used to have a Stratocaster (American) with the Fender Lace sensors and a Fender Twin tube amp. It weighed a metric ton and sounded awesome but only if you turned it up to stage levels.

i'm not going to even thing about it.

...any way, if your into the hallow body market, gibson/epiphone, make a really really nice one. i think it's called the hummerbird. yeah, now a few companys actaully make varable watt tube amps wich gives your the abillity to push the tubes and keep it down to a dull roar. Vox makes one i know (i also own it), and i think Marshal does too. they're a far cry from real tube amps but they're alot better than solid state

Those Taylor electrics are very nice. That hollow body with the Bigsby is especially cool.

I play mostly acoustic, and I have a number of nice acoustic guitars, plus mandolins, plus open-back banjos (for old-time clawhammer style playing). I used to play a lot of rock and blues, then got more into folk, then fingerstyle celtic and country blues. Now I play mostly old-time music, which is pre-bluegrass southern Appalachian music, but I still dabble in other stuff as well.

I still have one electric guitar, an Ibanez saber from the late-80's, and I have a Mesa Boogie Mk III combo tube amp from about that same time frame.

My first electric was a cheap Squier stratocaster. I hated it and ended up giving it to my brother. However, some of the new Squiers are quite nice. They play and sound like a good strat. My nephews recently bought a used one for about $100, and it has a great sound, even unplugged, it plays easily, and even stays in tune. For about $320 you can get a new Squier Classic Vibe, and those are quite nice for that price.

Here is the acoustic guitar quiver. I used to have a Taylor 810 dreadnought, which was my first solid-wood guitar, but then I grew to prefer the Martin tone. I still have a Taylor 12-string, and I think that they make the best 12-strings.

Bottom row:

- Sigma DR7 from around 1981. My first decent guitar. It's a cheap Japanese plywood guitar, but sounds surprisingly good. Not worth selling because it isn't worth much, so I keep it as my beater/camping guitar.

- Merrill C18, koa back/sides, Adirondack spruce top. A nearly exact replica of a 1934 Martin D18 (except for the koa). Killer guitar for flatpicking. Super loud, great tone, sounds like a great pre-war Martin.

- Martin HD-28V. My wife's guitar. I picked it out of 5 in the store. This one sounds especially good. Very versatile, works for flatpicking, strumming, fingerpicking.

- Taylor 555 12-string.

- Martin 000-28NB (Norman Blake model). Rosewood/Adirondack spruce. A 12-fret neck on an OM body. Notice the bridge location further down the body. Cool slotted headstock. Very deep rich tone and good volume for a smaller body guitar. Good picked, but exceptional for fingerstyle.

- Martin 000-18GE (Golden Era), mahogany/Adirondack spruce. A pretty good copy of a 30's 000-18. Nice dry tone with good volume. Great all-around guitar.

Top row:

- LaPatrie classical guitar (the token nylon string guitar)

- Baby Taylor travel guitar

post-5572-141842275716_thumb.jpg

I think my husband would disagree with you-he loves his Guild 12 string. He also plays his Guild 6 string more than his Martin or his Ovation.

As for electric, he has a Strat but I like the Telecaster that I got him for Christmas a few years ago. Neither of his Fenders are Mexican made. The Tele is Japanese made.

Me, I'm cheap and have stubby fingers. Washburns have narrow necks, the price is right and they sound pretty good, too...I love the electric bass I got myself for Christmas

I think my husband would disagree with you-he loves his Guild 12 string. He also plays his Guild 6 string more than his Martin or his Ovation.

As for electric, he has a Strat but I like the Telecaster that I got him for Christmas a few years ago. Neither of his Fenders are Mexican made. The Tele is Japanese made.

Me, I'm cheap and have stubby fingers. Washburns have narrow necks, the price is right and they sound pretty good, too...I love the electric bass I got myself for Christmas

Yeah, lots of great guitars out there, and a lot of it is personal preference. I said that I like the Martin sound, but I had the opportunity to play a couple of good early-40's Gibsons awhile back, and they were fantastic. One was a banner J-45 and the other was an LG-2. Very powerful with a very dry fundamental tone. I'd love to have that J-45, it would be perfect for old-time accompaniment, but they are quite expensive.

Brad

nice collection and cool to see. I hope they are insured. If ever in the Lehigh Valley Area be sure to tour Martin. My cousin is maintenance manager there and he has taken me behind the scenes to see how they are made. Pretty impressive process. I hear the tours are good as well. He is always getting called in to fix the conditioning systems that house some of the material used in making them. Very intricate process.

I wish I knew more about guitars but alpine takes my interest.

Yes, I have toured the Martin factory in Nazareth a few times.

Several years ago I had accumulated some very nice guitars, and I got to thinking that my dad initially taught me guitar and had always wanted a Martin, but was playing a mediocre Yamaha and an Ovation, so I figured it was about time that he got that Martin. So I took him on the Martin factory tour and then gave him a D-18V (used, but like new) for his 68th birthday. The look on his face was priceless.

I became a dad a year ago, and that has stopped my ability to buy new instruments. Luckily, I already have instruments that I am very happy with.