Note to New Members ×

Slalom board length/sidecut?

scrutton

OK, been riding plates for a good while. This year, I'm now competing in Slalom and Giant Slalom racing - Crescent Ski Council racing.

I've really just started in this format. What I'm finding is that the slalom course setup is much tighter than your regular Subaru/NASTAR courses which are effectively GS style spacing. Not only do the gates require much tighter turning, the flushes are a nightmare to get round.

My main stick for slalom and GS is a Prior Custom, 175cm, Mark Fawcett shape, but softened up a touch for in-resort riding; but built stiff enough for my weight. I've had it a while, and I love it. But it's too long, or has not enough sidecut for slalom. I'm skidding the turns like crazy.

I'm 6'0, 215 lbs, size 12's. Anyone got any ideas on what length / sidecut to shoot for in a board purely for slalom racing? Of course, I'll keep my main ride for GS racing.

PS - I did have a WCR in the 150's (I think), a few years ago. It felt way too short for everything, so I sold it.

Paul

I've run from 158 to 171 ranging from 8.2m to 11.6m scr. My preference is middle of the road for those, 162-166 with around 9.8m - 10.5 scr. I assume you are running full ski gates since you are talking about flushes and not stubbies.

Keep your body going straight through the flush and move, very quickly, your feet left and right with very little redirection (don't point the board left and right, you'll waste time and get off line). A shorter board will help with this. Oh yeah, wear arm guards unless you like bruises. I miss running skier SL. Have fun

Ink

Oh yeah, 6' - 180lbs

Fav board for slalom was a 158 volkl, great board and I still ride it.

Worst board for slalom was one that I forced myself to use for years...burton FP, 164 with a 12.7m sidecut.

I'm about 200lbs and I really had to bend the crap out of the board with teh longer side-cut in order to make the turn. for you, length in the 163ish range with a 9.5-10.5m side-cut and you'll rock!

-Gord

I second that Gord - The 164 Burton FP didn't work well for me either!

Well considering that board was designed as an entry level GS boards for small girls and grooms, I would think you would not like it for a SL board.

160-165 length 10-11 meter sidecut seems to work well these days.