Note to New Members ×

how I wax and also use the wax wizard

bobdea

this is a reply to the email JP1 sent me asking about the wax wizard.

feel free to contribute!

don't worry, this thread will stay, I don't even like deleting my posts nevermind threads. only deleted one that I can think of since I've been on here.

damn, like 8 years!

hey, I like the wizard too but it has it's limitations.

here's how I use it, I do my normal hotwax and scrape it the next day. If I miss the temp I might apply the correct temp with the wizard on hill. the thing that I love about the wizard is that if I apply wax with it after every time I go out I can go much longer without having to do a hot wax but when you need a hot wax you need a hot wax.

Mike DeSantis, it seems he does not like irons on his work because of the damage you can do with a iron if you're not careful.

At least this is my observation as well as Thanos's (the guy that runs Dominator).

I'd reccomend doing a couple warm scrapes with dominator renew zoom graphite or swix base prep to remove any dirt or old waxes on the base keeping the new wax from being able to stick, then applying a coat of it and let it sit over night. scrape it and apply a harder wax, like that all temp you have.

IMO, renew zoom is the most important wax I have, it really makes a huge difference getting a dry base to hold wax again swix base prep work well too but like everyone I have a preference.

Bottom line for me is that I've realized is if you keep your base clean and keep it from getting too burnt in the first place you can keep it real fast for a long time.

I won a wizard at an sES raffle a few years ago, and I love it. I do half the non-temperature related hot waxes compared to before I got it, and wizard it the rest. I generally use it most around the edges after every day on the hill, and it's so easy.

Do you use any other raysway tools for tuning?

:biggthump

I use the side edge tool. It's great if you're into polishing your edges every time you go. It doesn't take much material off per swipe...don't even THINK about changing your side edge angle with it, it'll take at least 1250 years of hard rubbing (ie don't use it to switch from a 90 to an 88 or anything). It leaves the edge really smooth. It uses little strips of abrasive material like sandpaper and includes directions to make more-they're super duper cheap and easy to make. It has a bit of a homemade appearance, doesn't look as fancy as some of the milled machined tools. I've used it for 2 years and have only used a file for setting the edge angle.

As far as the wax whizzard, I love it but the renew zoom wax is intriguing...

Hey what is the deal with citrus wax remover, is it bad for my base or OK?

yes, hotwax with renew zoom instead, plus it works better for removing gunk.

the only issue with renew zoom is that it dillutes the next wax you put on a little making it softer, either use a bigger dose of the wax you want to ride on or do two waxes with something else.