Note to New Members ×

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy crowds?

SWriverstone

I'm a risk taker, what can I say. I'm such an evil person for getting air on blind drops. Thousands of runs doing just this and I run into a person, on a barron slope, which was for advanced riders no less. Excuse me for being so inconsiderate, I'm off to kill some orphans.

What about us skilled carvers on that advanced slopes? We deal with people who sound like you on a regular basis. Would you justify hitting one of us because we 'turned' in front of your quest for speed?

Do not underestimate the speed that we travel and the ability of riders on this site to go very fast and be totally in control. Our speed is very close to your staightlining speed, we just happen to be cranking hard turns as well.

Most (if not everyone of us) would be a complete wreck if we ran into and injured someone. It is unfortunate to have someone posting that is not.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY CODE

1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
  4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

As much as other riders ignoring 3 and 4 cause us problems, 1 and 2 (in particular #1) trump them by far. YOU ARE NO EXCEPTION!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about us skilled carvers on that advanced slopes? We deal with people who sound like you on a regular basis. Would you justify hitting one of us because we 'turned' in front of your quest for speed?

Do not underestimate the speed that we travel and the ability of riders on this site to go very fast and be totally in control. Our speed is very close to your staightlining speed, we just happen to be cranking hard turns as well.

Most (if not everyone of us) would be a complete wreck if we ran into and injured someone. It is unfortunate to have someone posting that is not.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY CODE

1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
  4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

As much as other riders ignoring 3 and 4 cause us problems, 1 and 2 (in particular #1) trump them by far. YOU ARE NO EXCEPTION!

sigh, you sound like a mother talking to their 7 year old, stop being so dramatic. You "deal" with me....lol. You "skilled carvers", like you're some snowboarding god and I'm an out of control 17 year old. I have never had any issue whatsoever with an advanced skier or boarder. They are not dumb enough to sit on under a blind hill. I am in complete control at all times except when I am off the ground. I have been boarding for 20 years, and I enjoy rollers, and will always do the same thing. If there is a "no jumping" sign posted, then I will not jump. If there is no sign, and no people that I can see, I will jump.

I'm sure if you see a pro skiier or boarder hitting some rollers on a slope your first thought is "where is his spotter." No you don't do you. Turn off the reality TV and stop supporting the movement to pussify this country. Your post reeks of the typical american lemming.

I hit blind rollers all the time when riding. Air is fun. However, I do look far enough ahead of me to know that I haven't seen anyone on the trail other than me.

The other day I did have to do a massive speed check before one of my favorite hits because three people were sitting on the far side. Had I not seen them and jumped, they would be at fault for sitting where they couldn't be seen.

Thank you for having the marbles to post how you really ride, which is probably how most of the people in this thread ride in reality anyway.

sigh, you sound like a mother talking to their 7 year old, stop being so dramatic. You "deal" with me....lol. You "skilled carvers", like you're some snowboarding god and I'm an out of control 17 year old.

Dude after your comment about a hit on some poor bastard, that it sounded like you were proud of, and it would have made the highlight reel in the NFL or some sh!t*- you sound like a dip sh!t 17 year old kid.

I'm sure if you see a pro skiier or boarder hitting some rollers on a slope your first thought is "where is his spotter." No you don't do you.

Don't really care who is a pro and who is not. I have dealt with plenty of schmucks in 15 years of teaching and have no problem getting in anyone's face if they endanger my "kids" or my children.

Turn off the reality TV and stop supporting the movement to pussify this country. Your post reeks of the typical american lemming.
He kind of sounds like a dad to me, or just someone who cares. Please don't come to Idaho. If you can abort the entitled attitude, would love to have you come. But not until then. Seriously.

Dude after your comment about a hit on some poor bastard, that it sounded like you were proud of, and it would have made the highlight reel in the NFL or some sh!t*- you sound like a dip sh!t 17 year old kid.

Don't really care who is a pro and who is not. I have dealt with plenty of schmucks in 15 years of teaching and have no problem getting in anyone's face if they endanger my "kids" or my children.

He kind of sounds like a dad to me, or just someone who cares. Please don't come to Idaho. If you can abort the entitled attitude, would love to have you come. But not until then. Seriously.

Haha, exactly, please stop confusing your dislike of my attitude with your dislike of my riding. You or your kids are in no danger from me unless they are sitting down behind a roller on a black or double black slope. Even if they are, 90% of the time I will still be able to avoid them.

Did you just pull out the "your not invited to my birthday party" line? seriously?

sigh, you sound like a mother talking to their 7 year old, stop being so dramatic. You "deal" with me....lol. You "skilled carvers", like you're some snowboarding god and I'm an out of control 17 year old. I have never had any issue whatsoever with an advanced skier or boarder. They are not dumb enough to sit on under a blind hill. I am in complete control at all times except when I am off the ground. I have been boarding for 20 years, and I enjoy rollers, and will always do the same thing. If there is a "no jumping" sign posted, then I will not jump. If there is no sign, and no people that I can see, I will jump.

I'm sure if you see a pro skiier or boarder hitting some rollers on a slope your first thought is "where is his spotter." No you don't do you. Turn off the reality TV and stop supporting the movement to pussify this country. Your post reeks of the typical american lemming.

Do whatever you want to do to yourself. When your risk start injuring other people and you blame them for it, you have problems. :nono:

BTW, haven't had a TV in 20 years. :rolleyes:

Do whatever you want to do to yourself. When your risk start injuring other people and you blame them for it, you have problems. :nono:

BTW, haven't had a TV in 20 years. :rolleyes:

no TV in 20 years....good for you then, seriously I admire that

If somebody is completely stopped on the highway, after a hill, just sitting there relaxing in there parked car, and you hit them, who's fault is that? It's their fault.

If somebody is completely stopped on the highway, after a hill, just sitting there relaxing in there parked car, and you hit them, who's fault is that? It's their fault.

The highway / ski resort analogy sometimes works, but it fails in a lot of examples so we should be careful.

How do you come to the idea that it is their fault? The accident is yours to avoid. What if their car is broken down? Is it still their fault or is it yours?

I certainly drive down the interstate assuming that there could be a wreck in front of me at any time and that traffic could come to a sudden stop. That does not mean that I do not drive faster than most other drivers.

On the ski hill, you had better expect that there are going to be gapers and kids sitting under the blind roll overs because often there are. I ride at a largely deserted mountain and I find that only adds to other people's feeling of safety doing stupid stuff. It blows my mind that they cannot consider the possible consequences of their actions, but that does not absolve me from blame if I hit them.

Kids in particular are notorious for trying slopes that are too steep for them and spending a lot of time under blind rollovers. If you were to hit and injure a kid, do you think anyone else would blame them?

Rule #1: Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.

The joy of hitting blind rollers at speed does not absolve you from following that rule and protecting the other people on the hill.

If you want freedom from the rules, do not ride in a resort.

The highway / ski resort analogy sometimes works, but it fails in a lot of examples so we should be careful.

How do you come to the idea that it is their fault? The accident is yours to avoid. What if their car is broken down? Is it still their fault or is it yours?

I certainly drive down the interstate assuming that there could be a wreck in front of me at any time and that traffic could come to a sudden stop. That does not mean that I do not drive faster than most other drivers.

On the ski hill, you had better expect that there are going to be gapers and kids sitting under the blind roll overs because often there are. I ride at a largely deserted mountain and I find that only adds to other people's feeling of safety doing stupid stuff. It blows my mind that they cannot consider the possible consequences of their actions, but that does not absolve me from blame if I hit them.

Kids in particular are notorious for trying slopes that are too steep for them and spending a lot of time under blind rollovers. If you were to hit and injure a kid, do you think anyone else would blame them?

Rule #1: Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.

The joy of hitting blind rollers at speed does not absolve you from following that rule and protecting the other people on the hill.

If you want freedom from the rules, do not ride in a resort.

I have never even come close to hitting a kid, and even if I was about to I would manage to contort my body some how in order to avoid them.

You've got to realize that I'm not as wreckless as you guys are making me out to be. Even though I do hit blind rollers, I do take many other things into consideration before doing so. You guys have me pictured as a 200 lb cannon ball with a skull and cross painted on it rolling down the mountain.

I usually go to huge resorts, and the higher risk area's always have a sign saying no jumping on them. I am usually catching up to other people and yelling at them for jumping on these.

Bryanz, You are depending on luck if you are jumping blind. Ever since I started skiing and then snowboarding I have loved going fast and getting air. When going off blind rollers I always have spotters period!! When the slopes get crowded I slow down. If you hit someone below you it is your fault.

Here in Telluride we have our share of blind rollers like everywhere else.

I see people launch these too often with no spotter. I also see people stopped below them too often and sometimes they have fallen in these blind spots. And believe me,Telluride is deserted most of the time.

Just yesterday I was on a steeper deserted slope that has a catwalk right on the break over, and no spotter. Tempted to play with it; but kept things on the ground as I always will in that situation. Guess what?

Right under the roll where I could have been air born were two people getting up from a fall. I don't know anyone who can change their direction in the air. I would have gotten them both.

I hope you have an epiphany on this subject before one is forced upon you by bad luck on an "empty" slope.

Come to Tride some day, preferably after your epiphany, but either way I'll spot for you.

Safety Police aside, I agree with Bryan and I also agree with everyone else too.

There is a happy medium, and I think that as long as we all are cognitive of such and ride within the limitations of the trail, and follow the easy-style-it "look before you leap" rule there is room for just going out and enjoying the day and trails. If someone is a dumb ass, and they get hit, there is a right and a wrong, and a reason for cause and efffect.

I love drpooing hard and fast off of this one trail at a local mountian, and everytime I go off it I have a split second to decide to abort when I can see the landing and if there is a problem, I abort. Sure I'll be irked I couldnt pull a nice 50/50 backside grab off it with the bottom of the board flashing all the goons on the lift, but I'd rather hammer a hard stop, or pull a turn out and around someone than land on them anyday!

Just ride safe, and just like they teach in defensive driving courses for driving in traffic "Always leave yourself an "OUT"

Bryanz, You are depending on luck if you are jumping blind.

Just a couple of days ago, I checked a slope, it was empty. I started carving. I crested a rollover that I didn't even think anyone could be hiding under. Suddenly, there was an instructor and student 30 feet away, right in my line. I opened my line, went around them and yelled that was a horrible place to be. They moved, but they were there if I had sent the roller. Even though were in a place they shouldn't have been, I guarantee you that would not have mattered if I had injured one of them by sending a blind roller in a ski resort.

Mini Maggot's Season Over...

This is a story posted on TGR yesterday (a website definitely not for a pu$$ified America to use your words) about a 5 year old who now has a broken femur and was unconscious for a good while. You should read the thread. Sending blind rollers and expecting no one to be below them could easily get you in the same tough spot as the guy who hit her. Even if it hasn't happend yet.

From the OP on TGR:

The kids were snaking down Paradise bowl. A 28 year old guy visiting from CA was hauling ass/straightlining down the slope. I guess he was looking behind him for his friends, looked forward and saw that he was about to plow into a "pod" of kids. He swung his board sideways or whatever to avoid but couldn't and slammed into Ellie going Mach 1. One of the witnesses characterized it as "horrific". 200 pounds of dude and board met my daughter's body knocking her face down (and out) and snapping her femur like a twig. My daughter was unconscious for about a minute. To his credit he stuck around and was visibly moved. He stayed with her to the ER but left before I got there at least I think. After talking with witnesses and reading statements the cops called him and he agreed to be interviewed. Based on their findings and the severity of Ellie's injuries they placed him under arrest and charged him with felony assault on a minor. He's in jail tonight.

From a reply to the OP on TGR:

a lot of us here need to think twice about this kind of thing and the impacts of going mach looney at public ski areas. I think this thread prompts a very good discussion about skiing safely at the resorts and hopefully people reading this here think about who's around and downhill when sending it.

BryanZ jr.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWm1LQjm_rw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWm1LQjm_rw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was 1ft away from being taken out today, by the only other person on the run at the time.

I'm carving across a steep blue run with predictably consistant turns, a skier, in control, at 40+ mph was nearly forced off the run into the trees scareing the schite out of me in the process. This pissed me off considerablely. I started carving down again when I noticed his less talented partner coming down the run, so I carved uphill straight at him. This made me feel better but it still took some zen breathing to keep from hunting him down and whackin him over the head with my ski pole.

This blew the fun factor off an otherwise stellar day, as I was totally focused on looking uphill every turn.

So I went to the beer shack on top to enjoy the sun.

Rant over, I feel better now.

FWIW, It was super crowded with warm temps today and super plush snow that early in the AM was ripe for rip-carving. I went out, had fun from 8:30 am till 10 am and @ noon was a full hill..... just had to "wait" for my gaps and time my runs and when in heavy traffic ride my carver like it was a side saddle grooming plank.....AKA: heelside slip falling leaf... and I got to practice my switch skarved turns to go SLOW......:smashfrea

Byt was uneventfull till I was STOPPED at the side of a trail and got drilled from behind * (for the third time this season) by a beginner on skis that was out of control.

yaknow.... I coulda been hit by a boarder too, but gawddamn........ this guy looked at me like it was my fault for standing still out of the way at the edge of a trail for the better part of 2 minutes with noone around me!

seriously........ what gives. I wasnt even moving and was on a Blue trail!

:AR15firinARGH !

* my shoulder hurts, and he was reported to Safety patrol, but I doubt they did anything.:boxing_sm

people with the ability to control themselves at "mach looney" speeds have every right to do so. Your just like every other politician ruining american if your going to use some example from some random ski slope as a reason to control all "fast" skiiers and riders. Some girl getting hit and injured definatly sucks, but that's a risk people have been taking on ski slopes since they were established. Nothing is going to change. You should not be stationary on the slope. If my legs get tired on the board, I get to the side, and am clearly visible. Not rocket science. If you have kids, that's the first thing you teach them. That situation could have happened to anyone. Do you plan to enforce speed limits on the slope?

You guys seem to be so in favor of more regulation. Don't you think there is enough regulation in your lives. Crazy teens are going to go recklessly fast, thats all there is to it. Deal with it and quit whining, it's been happening since the evolution of humans.

If some reckless teen hits my kid, I'm going to beat him to a pulp, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and bitch about all those gosh darn teenagers going to fast on the slope. Bunch of old farts in here.

people with the ability to control themselves at "mach looney" speeds have every right to do so. Your just like every other politician ruining american if your going to use some example from some random ski slope as a reason to control all "fast" skiiers and riders. Some girl getting hit and injured definatly sucks, but that's a risk people have been taking on ski slopes since they were established. Nothing is going to change. You should not be stationary on the slope. If my legs get tired on the board, I get to the side, and am clearly visible. Not rocket science. If you have kids, that's the first thing you teach them. That situation could have happened to anyone. Do you plan to enforce speed limits on the slope?

You guys seem to be so in favor of more regulation. Don't you think there is enough regulation in your lives. Crazy teens are going to go recklessly fast, thats all there is to it. Deal with it and quit whining, it's been happening since the evolution of humans.

If some reckless teen hits my kid, I'm going to beat him to a pulp, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and bitch about all those gosh darn teenagers going to fast on the slope. Bunch of old farts in here.

I think this is a great argument for sterilization at birth.

yup, from jersey alright

was that your, "I have no idea what to say, so lets say something that makes no sense" response?

although many things I said, were typical of someone from jersey, the one you quoted had no relation to the stereotypical jerseyite. Next time you're going to attempt to insult me, please, let it make sense so some wreckless punk boarder from jersey doesn't have to make you look stupid.

BryanZ,

If you are reading some of these posts, you will realize that a lot of us have been hit from behind by straightlining skiers / boarders who thought they were in total control. How do you claim it is your right to put me at risk for your fun? Do what you want to yourself, don't involve other people.

You are the one who injured a guy because you could not stop and have claimed to feel no remorse because he should not have been on the run where you hit him. You will likely not be so lucky next time to suffer no consequences.

Your claims of recklessness and justifications sound really bad to this "old fart" and I don't even have kids that I worry about with people like you around. I am hoping that you are just playing troll and making all this up.:barf:

Buell

BryanZ,

If you are reading some of these posts, you will realize that a lot of us have been hit from behind by straightlining skiers / boarders who thought they were in total control. How do you claim it is your right to put me at risk for your fun? Do what you want to yourself, don't involve other people.

You are the one who injured a guy because you could not stop and have claimed to feel no remorse because he should not have been on the run where you hit him. You will likely not be so lucky next time to suffer no consequences.

Your claims of recklessness and justifications sound really bad to this "old fart" and I don't even have kids that I worry about with people like you around. I am hoping that you are just playing troll and making all this up.:barf:

Buell

Sorry if I've been boarding for 20 years and going back and forth has gotten a little boring and that I've moved on to advanced slopes and I enjoy getting air. I hit one guy many years ago, he was fine, I was fine, nothing happened.

You have no idea how I board, you are just presuming I'm some ghetto shmuck from jersey and because of my attitude I am completely self absorbed and don't care about anybody else on the mountain.

There were a couple people that agreed with me, and I do not see them getting attacked?