Note to New Members ×

Critique My Technique

spil

Here's a video of me riding Taos over Christmas. This is my third season in hardboots, so I'm still a relatively new carver. I'm trying to get lower in my turns and crank them tighter. I feel like I have pretty good technique on my toesides, but have a lot to improve on my heelsides. I try to follow the rules in Jack's article about toeside turns, but haven't really found anything that good to help me improve my heelsides. In general, I want to be able to get lower in my turns. So, what do you think?

<object height="300" width="400">

<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2945214&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="300" width="400"></object>

Carving Taos from Spil on Vimeo.

They have a tendancy to drop back closer to parallel with the board than perpendiculer. Tip it and trust it to get lower, remember to angulate your body as you inclinate the board. simpest way for me to think of this as I am laying it over is to reach for the snow on the down hill side of the board. Otherwise not to shabby.

mario

simpest way for me to think of this as I am laying it over is to reach for the snow on the down hill side of the board.

So I reach with my outside hand down to the snow? Since I am regular, on a toeside, I would reach with my left hand, and on heelside, with my right hand?

Speaking of getting low, on my Madd 170, I could be going pretty slow and put a lot of weight on my front foot and make a really tight, low turn, although I couldn't always recover from them.:biggthump When I would turn with "normal" weight distribution on my feet, it would be a much longer turn. Should I adjust my stance more forward, so it is easier to crank tighter turns, or should I just get used to this weight shift every turn?

Spil,

I see you counter rotating in each of your turns. For heelside you are rotating outward toward your toeside edge and your toesides are rotating toward your heelside edge. Doing this on your heelsides will drop your backside to the inside making it appear that you are sitting on a toilet. Keep your backside in line with the board and rotate INTO the turn. Use your head to look where you are going, not just down the fall line.

Ink

Spil,

I see you counter rotating in each of your turns. For heelside you are rotating outward toward your toeside edge and your toesides are rotating toward your heelside edge. Doing this on your heelsides will drop your backside to the inside making it appear that you are sitting on a toilet. Keep your backside in line with the board and rotate INTO the turn. Use your head to look where you are going, not just down the fall line.

Ink

+1...

I see you counter rotating in each of your turns... your toesides are rotating toward your heelside edge.

I thought I was supposed to do this on my toesides, because isn't doing this facing the nose of the board (or near it)?

Keep your backside in line with the board and rotate INTO the turn.

When I rotate, should I be rotating my shoulders independently of my hips (twisting my torso), or do I rotate my entire torso so my hips stay relatively parallel to my shoulders?

Most of the riding in the video was done on a 3800 with angles around 45*, so the counter-rotation on heelsides might not be as bad on my Madd. The only shot of me on the Madd is the last shot at the end, and it was on a pretty flat spot, so I wasn't carving very hard. The next time I get on the hill, I'll try to get some more footage of me on my Madd. I'll be up the weekend after SES at A-basin or keystone if anyone wants to take a few extra days off work to give me some pointers;)

Anyway, thanks for the advice, keep it coming!:biggthump

I thought I was supposed to do this on my toesides, because isn't doing this facing the nose of the board (or near it)?

You are supposed to rotate INTO the turn, the direction you want to go. In the vid you are counter rotating out of the turn which makes turning really difficult to do well, especially when speeds are elevated.

When I rotate, should I be rotating my shoulders independently of my hips (twisting my torso), or do I rotate my entire torso so my hips stay relatively parallel to my shoulders?

Most of the riding in the video was done on a 3800 with angles around 45*, so the counter-rotation on heelsides might not be as bad on my Madd. The only shot of me on the Madd is the last shot at the end, and it was on a pretty flat spot, so I wasn't carving very hard. The next time I get on the hill, I'll try to get some more footage of me on my Madd. I'll be up the weekend after SES at A-basin or keystone if anyone wants to take a few extra days off work to give me some pointers;)

Anyway, thanks for the advice, keep it coming!:biggthump

Shoulders should be rotating with the hips and can even rotate a little bit more if needed. Much of your driving comes from your hips and legs. If you rotate your shoulders too much you will begin to lose edge pressure and blow out of the turn. Those binding angles don't matter since you are still in an alpine stance and not straight across the board or duck. Also, don't let your hands come across so that they are both on one side of the board. They should stay on their respective sides of the centerline.

Post in the CO ride board when you are coming out and I am quite positive you will get plenty of riders to question, watch, listen to and learn from. We have a great group of people out here who are very willing to help eachother get better.

Ink