Note to New Members ×

Toe-Side Issues

xogiox

Hi everyone, I just spend the day out carving for my 3rd time on an alpine board. I was feeling good everything was working out, but while I was riding up the chairlift I noticed something wierd about my actual carves. The carve while looking normal like a C was fine, but on my toe side carves I noticed that there seem to be something dragging, the line wasn't crips like my healside, it was wider. As I progressed throughout the day I was trying to figure this out but failed. I went on some blacks(Michigan Blacks = Blue) and I noticed it even more on the steeper slopes.

I also checked to make sure I set my bindings so that I didn't have any toe overhang, which I don't. I don't see this as a big issue because i still hold edge fine, but it annoys me that I'm not getting a nice crips carve. Any recommendations?

P.S - I weight 275, could this be an issue? Is my board not strong enough to hold my weight? Donek Axxess 182.

Good article.

On hero groom days it indeed is the method of choice, but on thin cover and the ice-coast I found that edge hold was very difficult to achieve with the hips to the ground without a crouched more compressed stance to prevent the board from simply chattering out from under my feet from lack of direct pressure and slamming my hips (toe or heel side) to the ground in a very rough and painfull motion that was completed with a long slide untill I burnt off speed to re set the edge to stop or 1 out of 4 tries to stand the board back up and save the momentum for another turn.

Is there a "better" way to handle the ice, or do we just have to settle for not dropping our angles so high and butts so low than our Midwestern brothers and sisters?

Well, being on the ice coast and having completed 3 weeks of ice riding last month, I found that "surfing" my turns (sitting down over the back of the board and angulating my knee's, pencil-pinching hip action) was the ticket for me. I could initiate the turn this way and then begin to move the board back (my cg forward) under me to tighten up the carve. Doing it this way while reaching for the front boot cuff with the opposite hand kept my edge solid throughout the arc. I think what it is, is that the combination of angulation and the reach with the hand allowed me to keep my weight over the edge and not off-set to the inside of the arc.