Note to New Members ×

Catek questions

tdifan_2003

Thanks for all replys. Apparently this seems to be a common problem. I have not taken the bindings apart yet. I do think it's the block issue, since it's made out of softer material (aluminum) and the bail is stainless steel. I will see what exactly the issue is when I take them apart.

Cool inventions with the springs and rubber bands :biggthump. I don't think I'd go that far though :ices_ange.

As far as the stripping goes, I just bought from Fin 5mm hex screws and I think this will be the end of it :AR15firin

Millen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Whats the latest with placing orders with Catek. Anyone had any success?

I'm contemplating swapping all my OS2 bindings from standard to step-in, and was thinking about ordering 4 step-in kits from them. It's probably the most cost effective way to go for me.

So, anyone had any good or bad news from trying to place an order from them, and what's the best way to contact them?

Thanks,

Paul

Good luck, hope they respond to you.

I gave up waiting for a response from them. Sold all my Catek stuff except one set and that will probably be up for sale soon. It's too bad, nice bindings but I don't want to be stuck with bindings that I can't get replacement parts for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 sets of step in front bails (8 total)

- order placed 3/3/11.

- received tracking number 3/9/11.

- package arrived 3/14

Nice packaging, very professional. Class act. I just placed order via website - no emails sent. Stuff showed up 11 days later.

Thanks Catek!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Happy New Year to everyone :biggthump.

While re-mounting my bindings, I've got another question. Probably a dumb one :confused:, but I'd rather ask and not screw up the board and inserts.

I am putting a 6 degree cant with a heel lift on the back binding. This lifts the whole plate quite a bit. The short King pin is too short, but the long one is a bit long. So, where do I put the spacers? If I put them between the plate and the powerplate - then the King pin is still too long and gets to the surface of the board and the binding is still lose. Though, this is the way I see it in the Carver Almanac - http://www.alpinecarving.com/binding_model.html. That's the way I have been mounting the bindings so far, but with less cant. I could always compensate this by screwing down the four tilt screws so the can actually reach down to the powerplate, but I don't know how this would affect the per-calculated cant/tilt.

On the other hand - If I put the spacers on the Kingpin and then put it through the plate and powerplate (the King pin would not flush with the binding), it seems to be fine and when I tighten it up, it doesn't reach the surface of the board.

Please share your thoughts and experience. Thanks :biggthump!

Hi Paul,

I did read the manual. It has not been updated for the D3 modification. OS2 with D3 - no O-ring. It's "build" in the D3 elastomer.

As I said, I have been putting the spacers exactly as you said, but now, with 6 degree lift, I put 2 spacers and when I tighten the KP all the way down, it reaches the board and the binding is still lose.

Hi Paul,

I did read the manual. It has not been updated for the D3 modification.

Check the link I posted above, it does cover D3 elastomers.

Hi Paul,

I did read the manual. It has not been updated for the D3 modification. OS2 with D3 - no O-ring. It's "build" in the D3 elastomer.

As I said, I have been putting the spacers exactly as you said, but now, with 6 degree lift, I put 2 spacers and when I tighten the KP all the way down, it reaches the board and the binding is still lose.

So, the manual recommends using the O-ring - so I suggest using it.

Also, it says use 3 spacers and long kingpin for extreme tilt or rise. So, I suggest trying an extra spacer.

So, Just tried 3 spacers - not good. The binding "hangs on the King pin and the tilt screws don't even touch the power plate.

I really don't know where am I supposed to put the O-ring. Last time when I spoke with Jeff, he said, with the D3, I don't need the O-ring any more. Are talking about the same thing? O-ring - the rubber gasket that you put under the spherical nut that the KP goes, keeping it in place so you can actually tighten the KP?

Now I have it on with 2 spacers and if I follow the exact suggestions from the manual and leave it at that, then the tilt screws could get lifted just a bit from the power plate when carving. I will try it tomorrow and see.

Ahh, I see the source of confusion. There are two O-rings per binding. Click on the Exploded View photo on Catek's website.

One O ring goes on the kingpin on the top side of the binding plate immediately under the head of the kingpin. The other O ring goes underneath the spherical nut.

The D3's are full width suspensions, so I suspect that Jeff means you do not need the O ring under the spherical nut.

I don't know what actually happens when carving, but I don't think that the tilt screws should rise up while carving. When I install them, they are quite solid, and I typically go round and tighten them up like a cylinder head moving from bolt to bolt. IIRC this does tend to limit the angle, as it flattens out the binding somewhat; maybe there's a better way to do this. I'm still learning with the tilt-angle adjustments.