Note to New Members ×

3 Best Tips for Newbies

SWriverstone

...well...these are the three things that have had the biggest impact on my carving lately:

1. Change edges early! Transition from uphill to downhill edge well *before* you start your next turn...not *as* you start your turn. Because this helps you...

2. Take your time in the turn. Don't force the turn. Feed the board into it gradually...take your time...and just let the board do what it naturally wants to do.

3. Pinch a pencil! I know we've all heard it before...but it's a great reminder to really angulate and keep your shoulders level.

Of course, I'm still only an intermediate at this stuff...but of the myriad technical details I think about when carving, these three have more of an impact...and result in better, smoother runs...than anything else! :biggthump

Scott

As a newbie I think the 3 best tips that are helping me put it all together are:

1) Reach for front boot cuff with outside hand on heel sides, and on toe side reach behind for rear boot cuff with outside hand. Helps fix all that jarring chatter.

2) Really, really pinch the pencil to get angulated and high on edge. I pinched as hard as I could yesterday and I'm starting to get my speed under control without skidding :cool:

3) Steal a look uphill while turning. I just got t-bone yesterday, fortunately he wasn't going too fast :freak3:

I took a lesson from a really good ski instructor today. I think what I learned is going to do wonders for my riding. Can't remember who it is, but someone else on this board mentioned that they get lessons from skiers occasionaly. I was amazed at how it tied together so many of the concepts I've been working on with a couple simple techniques. The thing that supprised me most is that *Ace*, who was up the hill today, mentioned that it looked like I was bending my legs more. Wasn't even trying or thinking about bending my legs more. It just happened as a result of things I was doing with my core and hands.

Can someone explain this one to me? I'm still a newbie so I'll take any advice I can get.

Check out this page: http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/practice_drills.cfm

But here it is too:

Pencil Pinching: This is something to imagine happening when you angulate at the waist to keep your shoulders level to the hill. When you make either a toeside or heelside carve, pretend that you are trying to hold a pencil in the crease that forms at your waist. No, not under your gut, on either side, just above your hips