Note to New Members ×

Is anyone looking to get rid of a vacuum pump?

mirror70

I need the pump for vacuum bagging some carbon fiber parts before curing. It doesn't need to flow a whole lot, I think .5cfm would be fine, but it does need to pull at the very least 24"hg and it should be rated for continuous use. Running off of 220V is fine.

Do you have anything that fits the bill?

Well, I did have plans to make a flow bench once and what I found out was a large Shop Vac works great. I was told that it should achieve up to 28" no problem. They are relativley cheap and easy to get at you local Home Depot. I bet it would work for vacuum bagging some parts.

I'm looking for something in the $50 range, so I don't think Home Depot will be of any help. eBay has a few pumps that look like they could work, plus I can always engineer something out of an old AC/refrigerator compressor.

The flow bench is going to have to wait until the CF business takes off. Every available dollar (yeah, both of them) is going into it, so I couldn't even afford a spare head so I could drive my car while I work on the über head.

Check to see if there are any Surpluss shops around. We use suction units to evacuate air ways in the field but im not sure what they would pull. If I remember to bring a guage in I could find out. The Shop Vac thing sounds reasonable and I have seen the small ones on sale for less than 25$. Also, check the local auto supply stores. They have munual kits (hey, there's always the Snap-On guy :D ) on sale. Good luck.