Note to New Members ×

Back heel pain. Please help

tdifan_2003

Here is my story.

Setup - Prior 4WD 169, Catek OS2, Goofy, Deeluxe Track 325 with blue springs BTS, liners - Track 700 (semi thermofit heel)

My back foot set up is - 5 degree heel lift and 2-3 degree cant, front foot has just 1-2 degree toe lift.

I have a bad pain on the inner heel of my back foot. There is a pressure point on the side of the heel. Last year actually after the season, the whole inner heel was numb for about 2-3 months. Now, it starts hearting again. I tried bootfitters. They grinded a bit the shell and it didn't do much. The spot is in such position that the bootfiter told me they can not use anything to widen the shell. Liners were molded once.

So my question before they grind the shell again is - would any changes in the lift and cant alleviate this problem? Or maybe thightening the front flex spring......so the heel supposedly is more fixed in the heelcup :confused:

Please give advise. I am totally open for suggestions :biggthump

Thanks!

Millen

I'm sure that more experienced riders will give you advice but here is my story (from rider with average 1-3 riding weeks a 5 days per winter):

I had also problems with rear leg's heel: it went quite sore after riding 2-3 days and I had to tape it quite heavily after this in order to ride at all. But now it seems like I don't have such problem anymore.

So what's changed? Board is same, boots and inner boots are same, bindings are same, binding angles and stance width is more-or-less same.

The only change I could identify is my riding position and technique: when I had my heel problems, then I felt how my feet were pressing my boot's cuff during riding (i.e. I twisted my legs quite strong to put board on edge) and this was probably cause for heel issues, as such leg twistings caused heel movement within boot and swell from friction. Now I try to follow the racing posture advice: "centered and aligned" stance, where body does not hang from boot cuff to move the board (which would means that body is out of alignment with feet) and majority of pressure and sensation should be on bottom of feet (as quoted from carving and racing manual).

HTH

I'd drop my heel first.

I had the same problem when I first started. The only thing that cured it was to get a full themoflex liner. I tried to carve out liners and pushed the boot shell out, but neither worked. Thermoflex liners took it all away, and the "Pump Bump" went away.

Also check you socks to see if they are too coarse a weave.

Vahur is correct. The better you get the less you depend on the rear foot. There's a lot less pressure the more comfortable you get on your board, but that takes some time. If you keep aggravating it in the mean time, you are destined for some hurt, and maybe permanent hurt.

Thank you guys. Yep, I do agree, that my riding most likely has to do something with the pain. On the other hand, with my previous boots I did have full termoflex liners (the speed version) and it was totally fine - no heel pains.

I will work on the heel lift and cant and try to follow the rules of carving :) and see what happens.

Millen

Thank you guys. Yep, I do agree, that my riding most likely has to do something with the pain. On the other hand, with my previous boots I did have full termoflex liners (the speed version) and it was totally fine - no heel pains.

I will work on the heel lift and cant and try to follow the rules of carving :) and see what happens.

Millen

I'd still do thermoflex. Technique doesn't always come that quickly and the achillies tendon can be damaged. I have bought many pair of thermoflex liners out of soft snowboard boots from Play it Again Sports. I just bought another one week ago for $20 including the boots. The liners had never been molded except at the factory. They replaced a pair that had been remolded several times and became brittle.

I'd still do thermoflex. Technique doesn't always come that quickly and the achillies tendon can be damaged. I have bought many pair of thermoflex liners out of soft snowboard boots from Play it Again Sports. I just bought another one week ago for $20 including the boots. The liners had never been molded except at the factory. They replaced a pair that had been remolded several times and became brittle.

Hmm, liners from soft boots on hardshell boots. I have never heard of that. Admittedly, a cheaper solution to $177 for Speed liners........................ I will look into these moldable liners. Thanks!

Millen

I had the same setup - OS2, Deeluxe 325 - and developed the same problem like this. I got my boots and went to my fitter on a Thrus nite, and he was gone. So, I went to the slopes. It was my first time out on hard boots, and crashed repeatedly. I brused my rear heal due to an impact and heel lift rubbing.

I got custom footbeds, moulded liners and fitted by my boot guy 2 days later, but we had to have about 3 attempts to prevent all the heel lift.

For the rest of the season, about 45 days, my heel hurt no matter what. It was the initial brusing that kept getting inflamed every time I rode. I bought UPZ's over the summer, the heel healed up, and the problem never re-occurred. Now I have shin bang. For whatever reason, the UPZ's do not have any heel lift, but the liners suck.

Rick

I have had heal problems myself, but they have more or less gone away. I think this is a combo of better technique, better liners, and taping a foam donut to my liner around the injured area. The donut really helps to get the pressure off the pressure point or aggitated area. It doesn't take much and can make a huge difference. I think I got the foam from a boot fitter and just cut out a donut just a bit larger than the hurting area. Intuition liners helped in a huge way as well. They are much more dense, which I feel really helps to keep my feet where I want them. With my thermoflex liners I would pack out the pressure point in a day or two. I just don't like how squishy they are. I literally went fron hating my 700's to loving them when I switched liners.

Sorry for the liner rant.

Well, changed the heel lift to ~1 degree, no cant. No difference - pain came after about 2 hrs. So, I don't think it;s the lift/cant. Now, I will work with some foam. The question is - where do you put the foam ring - on the inside of the liner or on the outside? Also, if I do put a foam ring, should I re-mold the current liner? All that, I guess is prior to ultimately changing liners. At the end, I will get it fixed, but in the meantime, I am trying to minimize the pain :flamethro.

Millen

I put the ring on the outside. If you remold the liner with the rings they end up molded into the liner, so no to molding with the rings. It may seem like a stupid fix, but it really works for me. I started with one ring about 5mm think and then added another 5mm . I also used a mediumish density foam so it does have some give to it.

On the other hand, with my previous boots I did have full termoflex liners (the speed version) and it was totally fine - no heel pains.

Millen

Look back at your own post and see if you can see how you answered your questions yourself,

Thanks for all advises. Yes, I kinda did answer my initial question. Kinda. What I did find out though today, was the canting on the shell itself. Somehow, it had slipped and it was giving me the maximum inward canting. I strighten the two sides and put the shell in neutral position. VOILA :ices_ange - immediate relive of the pain. Admittedly just at home, but it was hearting even then. I will try it out and hope this works.

By the way - looking at the canting mechanism of the boots - it seems very fragile. Has anybody broken it and if so how do you fix it? I prepared a couple of T-nuts, just in case :D. I had to do some grinding though.

Millen